Gibson Brands Forums

The Bolt-on Bridge

jedzep

As I oh so patiently await the return of my recently acquired freekin' awesome 1950 J50 from the guitar hospital, I wonder why Gibson drilled a couple holes through the 'light as a feather' top and bolted certain bridges down. Martin and others did the belly bridge without the puncture wounds.

My guy bailed out on the rosette so I'll be doing it myself. That might be a blessing in disguise. He's a master of refinishing, though so I'll get him to seal the cleaned up blonde top and reinstall the belly up bridge.

You can't always get what you want, but I get far more than I need. I'll put photos here when the guitar's back in my dirty little hands. The long story would bore you so I'll refrain. I guess period correct rosette matching is a bee-otch.

Can’t help with the bridge bolts, probably something to do with bridges falling off, but I would NOT be bored at all if we heard/saw the WHOLE story! Story, ads, photos, videos, listings, soundclips, poetry...all <_<

BluesKing777.

(Better go play something vintage for a minute - my guitar fundis filling nicely but slowly and a birth year J50 crossed my lobal activity with a couple of sever zaps..... [sneaky] . None anywhere here. Mid 60s skinny necks x2 and 2 68 Birds. Probably better getting a lovely necked Waterloo? My other one feels so ‘real and old’. Hope they make a J!)

BluesKing777.

Do not know if it is true or not but I have heard the bolts were there to guide the placement of the bridge. Whether they still needed to do it by 1950 with the retooling and Gibson more than ready to put the 1940s ways of building guitars (if nothing else those methods were found to have wasted a lot of material) behind them I do not have a clue. If you will recall though, Martin took a heck of a beating in the early 1970s when whatever they were using to place bridges had worn out causing them to improperly locate bridges resulting in intonation issues.

Archived