Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Gibson LE J-180 Cherry for sale at CME

thegreatgumbino

Put together a mental image in your head of me taking one finger on each hand and making the shape of a cross to ward off evil. Now add that very red guitar to the image. Sorry, I just do not cotton to the finish. Hell, I am still trying to make peace with the cherry burst on my B45-12.

I have an identical one. That’s an insane price!

The finish is certainly bold, bordering on garish, but I can’t overstate the visual impact it has as a stage guitar. I’ve had more “wow, that guitar looks amazing!” Comments from audience members in the four months since I’ve owned the J180 than in 21yrs of playing anything else.

Understated it is not, however...

The other niceties are that it sounds lovely and plays like an absolute peach.

I know exactly what you are saying. It’s amazing how some guitars have charisma and attract audience comments to them.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

The best comment on it came from a young kid at a festival gig who asked me if the pickguards were “a painting of your hair”!! I do have lengthy, wavy reddish brown hair and I laughed for days about it.

It is interesting how some guitars exude charisma and draw audience attention (in a good way) and others not so much. Probably my biggest audience attention getting guitar is my honey burst 2016 Epiphone Masterbuilt Archtop Olympic. Then, my faded cherry sunburst 2006 J-45 CS 1964 Reissue (the one presently in for Gibson repair/warrantee work), and then third is my 1955 Epiphone F79 because it looks so well worn. My 1994 Gibson Gospel Reissue (a fine guitar) never gets any audience questions about it plays well but lacks charisma.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived