Gibson Brands Forums

flame tops

LesPaulPlease

Just curious, Gibson has always had plain tops and I know some people just prefer plain tops on les pauls. However, when they say a les paul has a flame top, its just a really crap flame, and you pay butloads of money for a crap flame. Now I have seen a FEW with decent flame tops, but those are all on crazy expensive custom shop and expensive high end USA limited models. Im just curious if theres a reason Gibson doesn't use the quality flame that other companies like PRS and Kiesel have (and those companies have crazy nice flame tops as standard, where gibson costs an extra like $100000 to have an alright flame)

:sigh: I know you're trolling but i'll answer.

It's been said a bunch that the flame ratings A, AA, AAA etc are subjective. Some A's may look like a AAA and vice versa.

Secondly some people are cool with paying a premium for a nice flame and others are not. Some people don't mind spending $5,000 for a new Les Paul while many others would rather find one used or choose to purchase another model.

:sigh: I know you're trolling but i'll answer.

It's been said a bunch that the flame ratings A, AA, AAA etc are subjective. Some A's may look like a AAA and vice versa.

Secondly some people are cool with paying a premium for a nice flame and others are not. Some people don't mind spending $5,000 for a new Les Paul while many others would rather find one used or choose to purchase another model.

I wasn’t trolling I’m just curious because on a gibson les Paul their standard flame tops are tbh rlly bad. You pay an extra couple hundred or maybe even a thousand dollars to get a decent flame. On Prs and Kiesel their base models already have a flame that you’d pay a **** ton of money for on a gibson.

I wasn’t trolling I’m just curious because on a gibson les Paul their standard flame tops are tbh rlly bad. You pay an extra couple hundred or maybe even a thousand dollars to get a decent flame. On Prs and Kiesel their base models already have a flame that you’d pay a **** ton of money for on a gibson.

Fabulous.

But Gibson makes a better guitar.

You're talking mere asthetics

Fabulous.

But Gibson makes a better guitar.

You're talking mere asthetics

Lmao idk about better just different. But like I’m curious as to why their flame tops aren’t as high quality? Like is it an old school kinda thing or do they just not have access to those kinds of tops? Ik Kiesel a lot of the time gets first pick and the nice woods that come in but I was just curious as to if there’s a reason their flame isn’t as high quality.

I understand an "A" rating for maple to be basically a "plain top with nice grain and no flame". Is that correct?

I understand an "A" rating for maple to be basically a "plain top with nice grain and no flame". Is that correct?

There is no correct. Anyone can call anything anything they want. One company's AAA is another company's AA. Thank Paul Reed and his 10 Tops, that's when it started.

rct

Just curious, Gibson has always had plain tops and I know some people just prefer plain tops on les pauls. However, when they say a les paul has a flame top, its just a really crap flame, and you pay butloads of money for a crap flame. Now I have seen a FEW with decent flame tops, but those are all on crazy expensive custom shop and expensive high end USA limited models. Im just curious if theres a reason Gibson doesn't use the quality flame that other companies like PRS and Kiesel have (and those companies have crazy nice flame tops as standard, where gibson costs an extra like $100000 to have an alright flame)

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. What you may consider to be crap, others may consider to be awesome. I myself have a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus guitar in Tobacco Burst that I think is a real beauty with its AAAA flame maple top. As good as this guitar looks, and it has received its fair share of compliments, it plays even better. I believe I paid a fair price for my guitar and see a lot of value in my purchase. Of course, YMMV.

Lady Gaga doesn't look like a D, but there is flame, or at least sparks

w8tdJ0G.jpg

If you watch her documentary there is once scene where she is sitting around the pool with friends talking and they are all in swim wear and then they cut away from Gaga talking, and then in a few seconds they come back to her, and like magic her top is off. Now this has no relevance to the documentary, but as a guy I was fully involved in boobs.

Yes, you're right. This guitar is absolutely HORRIBLE! I only paid $2500.00 for it and should return it immediately and get a PRS! 2017 Gibson Les Paul Standard - Bourbon Burst.

17554585_1262072257233222_4901779594556287783_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fe40504993d23a48086e6b643b3d2dc9&oe=5BDA54D3

Archived