Gibson Brands Forums

Am I seeing double -

E-minor7

Thought it would be something to present these siblings, , , or should I say twins.

No, cause there's actually 2-3 years between them.

Mine with brass tr-cover is from 1963 - the guest was born in 65.

In connection with a potential bargain, I had the 65'er on visit some months ago and as we know,

we don't have a clue about what keep in our hands'n'ears before comparing it to, not other, but similar models.

2 interesting factors are that mine has a very well done now broken in replica of a rosewood bridge (the original was plastic and switched before my time) –

and that the visitor has pre-65 11/16 nut width.

Apart from that (and oval vs tulip tuners), the guits were exactly the same. Now how did they sound !?!

As similar as one would expect, but for the fact that mine was much more open and loose.

For the first time it became clear what the worn lower side of the sound-hole meant in reality.

This SJ has been played and played, , , however was somewhat sat back by the replacement bridge during the 0's. When I got it in 2010 something didn't sound right.

The B, but especially the G string, sang hollow and kind of cheap. As if something wasn't warmed up. Not anymore.

The Jumbo has now re-found itself and is completely together – I'd say 5 to 10 years ahead of the 65'er.

What a thrill to experience and how highly exciting to make this A/B. It really showed what I got and brought the sweetheart and me even closer.

1965 & 1963 ~ WTp3pKh.jpg

Regarding the 2 burgundy cases, check signature line below – it just happened and none of them of course are from Kalamazoo.

I had two LG-2s in the house at the same time once. One was built in 1946 and the other in 1947. Other than the logo, nut width, and tuners, not a whole lot of difference. But two more different sounding guitars you could not find. And as is the nature of things, those who played both were divided as to which came out on top. But it is good to see that somebody other than me will throw whatever bridge pins they have lying around in there.

Eerie similarity, esp seeing the two in the cases. Of course the one with the 60's style coiled string ends, brass trc, and (surprisingly) smudgy upper bout had to be that of Mr Emin7. Nicely done re-bridge; 'wonder if the current owner would've even done that, if for no other reason but to hear exactly how it would've sounded back in the day, for better or worse.

Got any ideas what caused or eventually improved the

". . . the B, but especially the G string, sang hollow and kind of cheap. As if something wasn't warmed up. Not anymore.

The Jumbo has now re-found itself and is completely together. . . "

? The change in the sound after a year out from a neck set has caught my attention before- suppose this might've been the case with the solid rose' bridge (glue, etc) replacing the plastic, getting settled in (?)

I had two LG-2s in the house at the same time once. One was built in 1946 and the other in 1947. Other than the logo, nut width, and tuners, not a whole lot of difference. But two more different sounding guitars you could not find. And as is the nature of things, those who played both were divided as to which came out on top. But it is good to see that somebody other than me will throw whatever bridge pins they have lying around in there.

'Woof- it's quite possible Mr E had some definite premeditated tone changing in mind with his choice of pin material, and that was where I was going with my wondering to what did he attribute the change in how the '63 now sounded.

Me, on the other hand- well it was totally a case of making do with whatever was available in a pinch with this ol' played-in-summer-fields-at-2 am Red Label Nippon Gakki Yamaha (plastic/broken golf tees/sticks/rolled up match book pin "selection"):

gdJrbkk.jpg?1

'Woof- it's quite possible Mr E had some definite premeditated tone changing in mind with his choice of pin material, and that was where I was going with my wondering to what did he attribute the change in how the '63 now sounded.

Me, on the other hand- well it was totally a case of making do with whatever was available in a pinch with this ol' played-in-summer-fields-at-2 am Red Label Nippon Gakki Yamaha (plastic/broken golf tees/sticks/rolled up match book pin "selection"):

gdJrbkk.jpg?1

I bow down to you. The laziest I ever got was sticking pieces of cardboard in the nut or bridge slots to raise the action.

But if the '63 sounds better than the '65 is has to be the burst. You can see the first gleanings of the clownburst on the '65. Also take note the '63 has coiled strings which everybody knows enhances the sound as opposed to neatly clipped strings. I went through the 1960s coiling and never cutting the ends of the strings on ether my electrics or acoustics off.

But it is good to see that somebody other than me will throw whatever bridge pins they have lying around in there.

Burst has it. Pin material is for fine-adjusting sound and response.

Bone = More power and bass

Plast = More flower and glaze

http://forum.gibson....e/page__st__200

Got any ideas what caused or eventually improved the

". . . the B, but especially the G string, sang hollow and kind of cheap. As if something wasn't warmed up. Not anymore.

The Jumbo has now re-found itself and is completely together. . . "

I sincerely believe that playing the creature a lot made the new bridge and ditto plate wake up and join the collective vibration.

It happened slowly but surely and now I can barely hear what once was so annoying to these ears.

I even turned the saddle-bolts back on some 5 years ago to get more core.

Also tried with duct-tape certain places on the sub-side of the top, , , and got a special insert made.

Check post #9

http://forum.gibson....ustable-bridge/

gdJrbkk.jpg?1

Were you playing your 12 as a 6 string? or did you get that unlucky losing pins? rolleyes.gif

I can't believe a rolled-up matchbook worked!

Burst has it. Pin material is for fine-adjusting sound and response.

Despite what the guys trying to sell you aftermarket pins tell you about sonic benefits, my only concern is that as bridge pins wear they can damage the bridge plate so the harder the better. Plus the tips of those cheap plastic pins that used to be standard can splay causing you to have to go in there and snip the ends off just the get the darn things out. I favor the Antique Acoustics hard plastic bridge pins which duplicate the celluloid or bakelite pins Gibson and Martin used to use. The repair guys I have gone with though do use bone everything as a default unless you specify otherwise. I recall one of them telling me that bridge pins while not mattering enough so that most people would hear anything, did matter more with guitars made with red spruce tops than Sitka. Why you would notice any more of a difference with Adi tops though is beyond me. I don't build 'em, I just play 'em.

Were you playing your 12 as a 6 string? or did you get that unlucky losing pins? rolleyes.gif

I can't believe a rolled-up matchbook worked!

11 string, by attrition. It was before the internet told me bridge pins made a difference.

Thought it would be something to present these siblings, , , or should I say twins.

No, cause there's actually 2-3 years between them.

Mine with brass tr-cover is from 1963 - the guest was born in 65.

In connection with a potential bargain, I had the 65'er on visit some months ago and as we know,

we don't have a clue about what keep in our hands'n'ears before comparing it to, not other, but similar models.

2 interesting factors are that mine has a very well done now broken in replica of a rosewood bridge (the original was plastic and switched before my time) –

and that the visitor has pre-65 11/16 nut width.

Apart from that (and oval vs tulip tuners), the guits were exactly the same. Now how did they sound !?!

As similar as one would expect, but for the fact that mine was much more open and loose.

For the first time it became clear what the worn lower side of the sound-hole meant in reality.

This SJ has been played and played, , , however was somewhat sat back by the replacement bridge during the 0's. When I got it in 2010 something didn't sound right.

The B, but especially the G string, sang hollow and kind of cheap. As if something wasn't warmed up. Not anymore.

The Jumbo has now re-found itself and is completely together – I'd say 5 to 10 years ahead of the 65'er.

What a thrill to experience and how highly exciting to make this A/B. It really showed what I got and brought the sweetheart and me even closer.

1965 & 1963 ~ WTp3pKh.jpg

Regarding the 2 burgundy cases, check signature line below – it just happened and none of them of course are from Kalamazoo.

Nice photos, thanks!

I saw a 50s SJ F/S locally and then saw the price! $14000! ($13,999 in truth). I'm out! [thumbdn] The prices of my preferred 50s models have skyrocketed recently, it seems. I'd better go play my 59 LG3!

I could have taken photos of 2 Gibson Blues King L-00s when a friend visited, but we were too busy playing and next thing, player and guitar were gone...

Want to see my twins?

Ha..sort of...exact same size (00), both deep bodies, and they both fit nicely in the Lowden branded old Hiscox that came with the Lowden...but won't fit in anything else! Same woods supposedly - Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides, Cedar top. And they don't sound one single thing alike! (but I discovered the best dual source pickup in the Maton I have ever used!)

1993 Lowden S35 with Maton SRS808:

y7UewJOh.jpg

3m0bWpdh.jpg

BluesKing777.

You should serve us a decent A/B.

Those Matons sometimes tap my shoulder, but when I turn around, I'm never really sure what they want.

I will get something down but for now, here are a couple of clips from Acoustic Fellowship - there are Matons and there are MATONS! The ones I found are 2 different size standard (fairly heavily built)road warriors with the sensation Maton AP5-pro dual source pickup system, but there is a whole range from yo to go and Custom Shop beauties and Tommy Emmanuel models low and high!

So, some Matons and Lowdens - all very, very different from the Gibsons!

First - THE MAN:

Maton Custom Shop:

Lowden S35:

BluesKing777.

Archived