Gibson Brands Forums

Man Who Sold The World

MorrisrownSal

Some parts of the song had your harmonies almost indistinguishable from Bowie's; good job. It did get a little busy with the gang all singing on- it would be interesting to a/b the verse with choruser used in the same part. Don't know, but always appreciate hearing the nuts & bolts to what went into the recording. . . even what strings. Where did you have the MiC? The playback monitors here really picked up some very nice low-mid sound off of the 'Bird.

Two minutes earlier than Buc's, and a cool contrast to jump ahead in time 6 years from the Dave Clark 5 song from Buc.

A fine and controlled yet sensitive version of the old classic.

Suited the Bird's accurate'n'distinct response perfectos. The pick's percussive and warm sounding wet-slam over the still crisp steel.

How are you 2 doin', , , , and what month in '12 was the guitar born ?

Hey thanks guys..... Very appreciative of your ears.

62... the MiC was about chin high, and 24 inches out - so not in front of the guitar as much as my head.... I have worked hard to find that balance in the past. Sometimes I think I have it licked, but then a different guitar makes me need to tweak the positioning. Also... D’Addario Nickel Bronze light mediums. Those were the ones I used most on Hummingbird Vintage.

The iPad takes in that first track using the video camera (and the MiC for the sound). I share it via Airdrop to my Mac. On the Mac I drag the video file into garageband.... starting a "project" using the microphone.

I add one effect... reverb. bring it from zero to about 3 when I am in my basement (which is where I recorded this).

Then I add any extra vocals or harmonies, again with the Apogee MiC, switching the cable connector from lightning to USB, and use the "tracking vocal" setting. It sounds better to me than the other canned ones they have.

Phew! It sounds harder than it is. This was recorded, first track, additional ones... and shared... within an hour. Its not perfect, but then again I am the 85% dude.

Em7 - the Bird and I are getting along. I wont say anything else, for fear of jinx and sabotage talk. This Bird has it. It was born on October 22nd 2012.

1531087564[/url]' post='1944660']

Your the one that is miles ahead of everyone buddy!

Keith, ima not even recognize you until you get on your horse and share a tune brother. We miss it. A true golden voice. You and Buc are the Robert Redford Natural singers. Anyways thanks for the nice comment.

Em7 - the Bird and I are getting along. I wont say anything else, for fear of jinx and sabotage talk. This Bird has it. It was born on October 22nd 2012.

Splendid - so you cover the autumn of 2012 and I take care of the spring.

Regarding the vocal, a dilemma here :

No secret that your voice is very clean and appealing - in fact it has the gift of being able to set a mood in or move people.

Question is whether this paradoxically enough thins out when the second lead is added. The sound gets 'better' and richer - there's more fabric.

But the dub also covers the finer nuances in the human expression - and sets a layer between the person-to-person contact.

Not that it's bad - just thoughts, , , wonder if you ever gave this a spin yourself.

Ahhh - Bowie in the morning, always good... and a great version! You mention you just used the one Mic for this, I felt you got a good balance between guitar and vocals. Just wondering when you play out, do you ever just use one Mic, or are you plugged into a p'up, or use two? ...and also I feel anyone doing justice to a Bowie tune is pretty freakin' impressive - nice stuff!

I tried to clean up the second lead....

Here goes....

The vocals sound stronger here - but this version isn't gettin' closer to my thoughts (which may not have been the intention anyway).

A compromise would be to start with a single-track-lead and then add the dub when to rok begins to roll.

Still a very good performance. And let's not forget the main thing is that the Bird has landed, , , and flies swiftly.

Thanks red...

Em7. Help me I want to learn. You mean just perhaps sing it?... no harmony... maybe slow it down? It is an intraspective song.

The lead is double-tracked, isn't it. My humble thought is about keeping the verse solo and then add up.

The harmony is a hit.

Correct if I misunderstand.

Sorry to be late to this, Sal. I like the whole rendition. You and the bird are a good match. I know it’s a Bowie song, but your harmonizing makes me immediately think of Crosby, Stills, & Nash. It’s really very good. Adds a lot to the song. Fleshes it out well. In my songwriter/guitar-hack world, don’t know that i’ve ever added my own harmony track. Excellent idea...... your harmony really adds to

the song. Easy-on-ears music. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

That was very well done, Sal. Loving the Bird's tone. Distinct. You drove it well, too.

The harmonies were very well done.

Doubling the lead vocals can get tricky. I thought it was very well done and was surprised and jealous to read that you had under an hour into it. There were a few little spots here and there where it got in the way, but those were brief. Surprisingly brief given the time. I would have spent a minimum of 30 minutes along just doing volume automation on the doubled track, and sadly enough, come out no where near as good as what you did.

Anyhow, Kudos!!!! [thumbup]

Archived