Gibson Brands Forums: My Bird Needed Replacement - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Bird Needed Replacement

#21 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

  • N/A
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 3505
  • Joined: 28-December 07

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:19 AM

Good one. I'd never heard that. I'll have to save it. Lefty Jokes - sort of like Blonde Jokes, only better !
As far as your dilemma. It sounds like the B team is comprised of a couple of guys who think they're in charge when the manager isn't there.
They are attempting to operate above their pay grade. Maybe that's why the guy who moved to Sam Ash from across the street had to leave there.
From your description of his attitude, strange behavior and the unique damage, with me being suspicious as you are - I would wonder if he damaged your first H'Bird while installing the anthem and, after having inspected it when you first got it, didn't notice the damage until later.
Regardless - I would contact the manager, communicate your concern with the mixed messages you are getting from this individual and ask him to prioritize it so you can pick it up ASAP.
Good Luck. I wouldn't transfer this 'change of management confusion' to Gibson. And Sam Ash has been around for awhile too. Like Guitar Center, they are trying to deal with the Brave New World you described.
And, worse case, if you get push-back, you can suggest to the manager that the damage was not there when you bought the guitar, or when you brought it in for the Anthem installation. G'Luck.
0

#22 User is offline   mz-s 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 11-June 16

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

Can't say that I blame them for not being willing to put in an aftermarket pickup at no cost, it's not their fault the guitar had an issue that warranted replacement.

However I think you could make a case that the warranty you purchased should cover the work since the Hummingbird that you returned had that installed.

I do disagree with the model that some of these stores have - if you didn't spend extra on the warranty, there's the door.

Trying in store is nice but these stores are making the decision to buy online for us it seems.
0

#23 User is offline   PatriotsBiker 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 235
  • Joined: 17-September 11

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

View Postfortyearspickn, on 11 July 2018 - 06:19 AM, said:

Good one. I'd never heard that. I'll have to save it. Lefty Jokes - sort of like Blonde Jokes, only better !
As far as your dilemma. It sounds like the B team is comprised of a couple of guys who think they're in charge when the manager isn't there.
They are attempting to operate above their pay grade. Maybe that's why the guy who moved to Sam Ash from across the street had to leave there.
From your description of his attitude, strange behavior and the unique damage, with me being suspicious as you are - I would wonder if he damaged your first H'Bird while installing the anthem and, after having inspected it when you first got it, didn't notice the damage until later.
Regardless - I would contact the manager, communicate your concern with the mixed messages you are getting from this individual and ask him to prioritize it so you can pick it up ASAP.
Good Luck. I wouldn't transfer this 'change of management confusion' to Gibson. And Sam Ash has been around for awhile too. Like Guitar Center, they are trying to deal with the Brave New World you described.
And, worse case, if you get push-back, you can suggest to the manager that the damage was not there when you bought the guitar, or when you brought it in for the Anthem installation. G'Luck.

The thing with at least this Sam Ash store is that they have put forth an effort to be that local type of store despite being a national chain. Not perfect, no, but a darned sight better than the store across the street.

I'm not sure what was up with these two guys, though. I'm going to take the higher road publicly and internally for now and not say anything more about this. The Guitar Manager apologized profusely for any and all confusion and took care of me the best I think he could have without severing a relationship. I'll post the outcome (so far) in a bit.
2018 - Gibson SJ-200 Standard
2018 - Gibson Hummingbird Standard
2015 - Taylor 614CE
2013 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro(59)
2014 - Epiphone Black Royale P93
2015 - Epiphone ES335 Custom
2005 - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (MIK)
2008 - Fender Tele (MIM) - Modded to Keefocaster
2011 - Fender USA Strat Standard
2012 - Fender USA Telecaster
2009 - PRS SE Paul Allender
2007 - Gretsch 5120 Electromatic
2016 - Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Jet City Amps 20W JCA2112RC
0

#24 User is offline   PatriotsBiker 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 235
  • Joined: 17-September 11

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

View Postmz-s, on 12 July 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Can't say that I blame them for not being willing to put in an aftermarket pickup at no cost, it's not their fault the guitar had an issue that warranted replacement.

However I think you could make a case that the warranty you purchased should cover the work since the Hummingbird that you returned had that installed.

I do disagree with the model that some of these stores have - if you didn't spend extra on the warranty, there's the door.

Trying in store is nice but these stores are making the decision to buy online for us it seems.

No, I can't blame them either, but there's been a whole paradigm shift on that side of things, too. The reasons are numerous.
2018 - Gibson SJ-200 Standard
2018 - Gibson Hummingbird Standard
2015 - Taylor 614CE
2013 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro(59)
2014 - Epiphone Black Royale P93
2015 - Epiphone ES335 Custom
2005 - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (MIK)
2008 - Fender Tele (MIM) - Modded to Keefocaster
2011 - Fender USA Strat Standard
2012 - Fender USA Telecaster
2009 - PRS SE Paul Allender
2007 - Gretsch 5120 Electromatic
2016 - Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Jet City Amps 20W JCA2112RC
0

#25 User is offline   PatriotsBiker 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 235
  • Joined: 17-September 11

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

The great Hummingbird saga is over. Some trouble was made for me, but they ultimately decided to let the department manager honor the bulk of his word. The rest was about the electronics. I got a VERY bad vibe after talking to another one about a logistic involving that and decided to cut my losses. I went and got get my new guitar that instant. I gave up too much, but it was worth it and do not regret it a bit.

I have my new guitar at home. She is substantially newer than the one I originally bought. Serial numbers are 11288xxx now and 12237xxx for the old one. It's obvious in every aspect, but is certainly does not have a stiff lifeless top on that guitar like the Songwriter and the 2 J45s on the wall.

Folks, I really liked that previous guitar. I did. I was devastated when this all came to light on Sunday. BUT, I am enamored over this new one. I still need to let it acclimate and maybe do (or have done) a couple of minor set-up things. I think either 11's were on this before or these 12's (Elixers) I put on it are just plain thicker. That little normal stuff aside, this thing is a beauty and already sounds nice. The case is the newer brown ones I see online, smells like vanilla. Just everything is more fresh. Even the edge of the neck and frets are smoother. Actually, the spacing between the high-E and the edge of the fret board was obviously bigger on this one than the first one. The frets were not protruding to the point that it felt sharp and scratchy, though. Up near the nut felt and looked the same.

The only negative difference I can hear between this one and the old one is that the old one had a little bit more articulation on one or two types of strum. The big positive difference is a little more natural ability to project that sort of digging-pick attack for lead or single notes. Oh, and less woofy when you pounce on the E-A strings a bit too much. I wonder if that was the guitar itself or the bigger electronics were getting in the way of sound-waves with the Anthem I had put on the old one?

I don't know if I could be more pleased with this Hummingbird than I am right now, and I'm not even done getting it set up yet. [thumbup]
2018 - Gibson SJ-200 Standard
2018 - Gibson Hummingbird Standard
2015 - Taylor 614CE
2013 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro(59)
2014 - Epiphone Black Royale P93
2015 - Epiphone ES335 Custom
2005 - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (MIK)
2008 - Fender Tele (MIM) - Modded to Keefocaster
2011 - Fender USA Strat Standard
2012 - Fender USA Telecaster
2009 - PRS SE Paul Allender
2007 - Gretsch 5120 Electromatic
2016 - Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Jet City Amps 20W JCA2112RC
0

#26 User is offline   Murph 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 9186
  • Joined: 03-August 08
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:36 AM

Time to scratch it up a bit.....
0

#27 User is offline   PatriotsBiker 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 235
  • Joined: 17-September 11

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostMurph, on 13 July 2018 - 04:36 AM, said:

Time to scratch it up a bit.....

We are doing some serious bonding. This one is an easier play and there is still room to improve. Inconceivable. The new strings opened up nicely overnight and I am getting more projection than I thought I would. [thumbup]
2018 - Gibson SJ-200 Standard
2018 - Gibson Hummingbird Standard
2015 - Taylor 614CE
2013 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro(59)
2014 - Epiphone Black Royale P93
2015 - Epiphone ES335 Custom
2005 - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (MIK)
2008 - Fender Tele (MIM) - Modded to Keefocaster
2011 - Fender USA Strat Standard
2012 - Fender USA Telecaster
2009 - PRS SE Paul Allender
2007 - Gretsch 5120 Electromatic
2016 - Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Jet City Amps 20W JCA2112RC
0

#28 User is offline   E-minor7 

  • Winger
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8182
  • Joined: 09-June 10

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:02 AM

View PostPatriotsBiker, on 12 July 2018 - 09:20 PM, said:

The great Hummingbird saga is over.
I don't know if I could be more pleased with this Hummingbird than I am right now, and I'm not even done getting it set up yet. [thumbup]

Good to hear it turned out well - are pictures possible ? Fx of both guitars.
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
0

#29 User is offline   PatriotsBiker 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 235
  • Joined: 17-September 11

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:35 AM

I've not taken all measurements yet, but the guitar is settling into it's new home nicely. Another day or so. The low-E string height is almost down to 5/64th. The low-E and the A strings both look a teensy high on the nut. Soooooo close.

Plays even better this morning, too, and I swear it sounds better! [biggrin]

I am trying to decide between an alternative to the Anthem, stick with an Anthem or go to a Microphone solution. Something with a frequency response that Lars' Myrtle Mic has. A very enticing option is that DP 4009G clamp on mic. Little mention of it here via search. Anyone here try it?

View PostE-minor7, on 14 July 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

Good to hear it turned out well - are pictures possible ? Fx of both guitars.

Thanks!

I will do some better pics of this one soon than I had with the last one and put them on some host somewhere.
2018 - Gibson SJ-200 Standard
2018 - Gibson Hummingbird Standard
2015 - Taylor 614CE
2013 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro(59)
2014 - Epiphone Black Royale P93
2015 - Epiphone ES335 Custom
2005 - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (MIK)
2008 - Fender Tele (MIM) - Modded to Keefocaster
2011 - Fender USA Strat Standard
2012 - Fender USA Telecaster
2009 - PRS SE Paul Allender
2007 - Gretsch 5120 Electromatic
2016 - Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Jet City Amps 20W JCA2112RC
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users