Gibson Brands Forums

Fishman loudbox mini

olie

Anyone on here have any experience with this unit?

I owned one. Fantastic unit, and Fishman customer service should you need is fantastic.

Two channels. Mic and guitar. Nice reverb. Great clean sound. Plenty loud for home, and maybe jams if you need.

If you need phantom power, you would want the Artist. If not, the Mini is plenty.

I had been searching for a really nice quality, compact acoustic amp for the past several years but had refrained from buying, because I prefer a solid wood cabinet and these are not at all commonly found. So I was pleased when learning last Spring that Fishman had released limited edition mahogany cabs for their 'Loudbox' series for 2017. After reading several owner reviews over a period of months, late last year I made the decision to purchase the limited edition solid mahogany cabinet version of the 120-watt 'Loudbox Artist' from a store, located in Southern Indiana which had listed several of these on Ebay. I received my new amp later in November of '17. Time from finalizing transaction to delivery...three days!

Have owned the unit by now for less than eight months. The wood cabinet shows extremely attractive on these amps and it is also very sturdy. These wood cabs alter the tone and presence of the amp very slightly over the standard model. The wood cabinet versions impart a small but noticeable increase in tonal depth and warmth, as genuine wood often does. An added nicety packed with the unit, was the inclusion of a protective fabric cover for the amp. The owner's manual is not overly complex, it is very concise and thoughtfully compiled for your convenience, as ready-reference dictates. That is all as one might hope for.

I really can't say enough about what great little acoustic amps these are...and such powerhouses for their compact size. The effects are astonishingly good on these little guys, which has confirmed many owner's remarks over the past several years since this series became available as one of Fishman's most esteemed product lines. They are so easy and light of weight to transport. It is a wonderful amp and from my own experience, I will advise it is well worth some extra outlay in bucks to chase down one of these limited edition wood cab units built in 2017 with the solid mahogany...not only for their very handsome appearance...but for the sheer added durability, vs the tolex-covered 'standard' versions which are reputably so outwardly fragile...their thin covering material being easily scuff and tear-prone. Incidentally, all three series...the 60-watt Mini...the 120-watt Artist...and the 180-watt Performer were issued with these optional solid mahogany cabs. Just a very well thought-out product with dazzling acoustic sound and projection...again, nothing short of amazing considering their moderate price point. As if all of that were not sufficient, these are so nicely compact and transportable (in one hand) for gigging musicians. And so have earned their well-deserved status among the industry's most bang-for-the-buck, well-respected acoustic amplifiers.

The standard models are equally terrific and otherwise identical...but again, their major flaw is that the reddish-brown tolex covering material is very thin, not durable and so with use it quickly shows every small bump, scarf and tear. If your unit is not on-the-road, carried and set up from gig to gig and thus 'parked' at home...a non-issue. Perusing the various reviews posted on these acoustic amps from varying sources...you will observe this as a frequently mentioned 'gripe'. And it is likely the only significant 'user complaint' you will encounter, concerning these amps.

...The Loudbox 'Mini' as well as the 'Artist' are considerably more compact units in overall dimensions than the 'Performer' model. But the Mini's two seniors offer nearly double the effects amongst sundry other bells and whistles. Loudbox 'Mini' is a wonderful choice for the musician working at home, where larger projection is not needed or where performing solo in a compact or tight area, for small audiences. The Loudbox 'Artist' posits in middle of the range, it remains the most popular version due to its available power (120 watts) and also a broader, more useful array of channel switching, external connection options and of course its added effects bank options and etc.

The 'Artist' version is ample to accommodate medium venues and even many larger ones...that is to say, those really large venues where excessive ambient or background noise is not an intervening factor. The 'Performer' would be more in line for those who work very large venues...those where maximum volume and projection are truly required. For the most of us, 180 watts housed in its larger, heavier enclosure would not warrant the extra cost outlay nor would the 'overkill' of all that added output power even be desirable, much less of potential or practical use.

Well, I do love my Loudbox Artist and it is now my main-stay. Could not be more pleased with this selection and with the purchase...also, it does furnish and project such outstanding TONE.

The Mini and Artist models are great-very good amps. The Performer has a problem with the drivers being unable to handle low frequencies well, and blowing after 3/4 months of gigging.

I had this issue, sent the amp back, was repaired under warranty, came back to me, failed again, went back, was replaced with a whole new unit and that failed on me AGAIN a couple of months later, too.

The store kindly replaced it with a DV Mark AC101H...two of those crapped out on me in nine months, too.

I’m of the opinion that unless you spend upwards of £1000/$1500 on an acoustic amp, they’re not really up to the grind of five nights a week on the road.

Contrast this with the two modest Alto TS112 800w powered speakers I’ve been using for the last seven years-rugged as hell and absolutely faultless performance. Cost the same seven years ago for the pair as one new Fishman Loudbox Performer amp does now...love ‘em!

I have the artist, it's great. Are you looking for something just as a home / parlor amp, or plans to gig with it?

Unless you're dead set on the mini, I would say to consider the extra investment, and jump up to the artists.

The artist has added EQ controls, as well as more outputs to slave off tto external sources. there's a "mix" out and also one each channel, both xlr. so you could run both channels into 2 sound board channels, or use the mix and slave out to a powered PA speaker. I also have a bose s1, and that setup with the two, guitar / mic to the fishman DI mix out to the bose, is awesome.

Thanks for your input,folks.It's what one expects from the vast pool of experience available here.

By the sound of it the Artist might be the way to go in case I need to play a venue that's larger than a living room.

Fishman would be happy with your replies!

Anyone on here have any experience with this unit?

I've had mine for 6 years. Good amp for small venues( you can plug it into the house system) I've used the 2 channels for guitar-mic or 2 guitars. Two things to add on the negative side-there is no headphone jack and the Toltex covering flakes off after a couple of years. Glad to see the new models have battery power. It can work nicely in areas larger than your living room cool.gif

As the 'middle' amp in the series, the 120-watt Loudbox 'Artist' is far and away Fishman's most popular acoustic amp...and it is that for substantial reasons. It offers everything the Loudbox 'Mini' possesses in addition to double the Mini's available power output...a considerably broader array of desirable effects...more flexible external connection and switching possibilities...yet in a still very tidy, compact and surprisingly lightweight package. Therefore an astute choice which really does deliver, taking into account its (quite acceptable) extra-cost price point over its lesser sibling, the basic Loudbox 'Mini'.

...Just ask the folks who own one!

I think Billy C. works for Fishman!!!

ha!

but yes,, I be in violent agreement, the Artist is THE way to go..

(Grins!) Assuredly, no affiliation with Fishman here...just an aging defense-contract retiree, a formerly part-time musician/vocalist. But were I in actuality affiliated with this outfit...I might be forgiven being justified as proud of their current product line, its wide acceptance and reputation!

I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini. I run my Tele into a BOSS Acoustic Simulation Thrombobulator Pedal and off to the Fishman. For one or three songs a night it does the job without complex guitar changes, and I can carry it and a Blues Junior into the dump in one trip. I think last weekend I stepped on the pedal out to Fishman twice. The Loudbox Mini does some pretty good size places just fine, I've filled a pretty long bowling alley shaped bar with it quite well. I have used it with my acoustics and I've been really happy with it.

Ok, you can tie me to a post and dip me in some New England River now that I'm outed as a heretic.

rct

I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini. I run my Tele into a BOSS Acoustic Simulation Thrombobulator Pedal and off to the Fishman. For one or three songs a night it does the job without complex guitar changes, and I can carry it and a Blues Junior into the dump in one trip. I think last weekend I stepped on the pedal out to Fishman twice. The Loudbox Mini does some pretty good size places just fine, I've filled a pretty long bowling alley shaped bar with it quite well. I have used it with my acoustics and I've been really happy with it.

Ok, you can tie me to a post and dip me in some New England River now that I'm outed as a heretic.

rct

The Nashua River is right down the road from here in Leominster, So come on over, we'll have a few beers on the deck and a swim in my pool before we carry out the sentencing.

it'll be fun,, "they said.."

(Grins!) Assuredly, no affiliation with Fishman here...just an aging defense-contract retiree, a formerly part-time musician/vocalist. But were I in actuality affiliated with this outfit...I might be forgiven being justified as proud of their current product line, its wide acceptance and reputation!

hey, I stand by that too, for what I have used it for, it has an amazing range of cover for something about the size of a small microwave oven.

that said,, the Bose S1 is even smaller, and that thing friggen smokes..

This is the Golden Age of Acoustic guitar amplification.

What started with Trace Elliot, Marshall and Carvin (ironically) several decades ago has grown into a competition even Mesa has joined, albeit without tubes. Ironically....

It's really good for us.

This is the Golden Age of Acoustic guitar amplification.

What started with Trace Elliot, Marshall and Carvin (ironically) several decades ago has grown into a competition even Mesa has joined, albeit without tubes. Ironically....

It's really good for us.

Indeed it is. Many moons ago, we had to use the clean side of our gigging amps, or use a Keyboard amp and drop an EQ and Compressor infront of it, those worked ok, but they were a b!tch to lug around.

I have a Fender Acoustasonic JR as well, It's one of the earlier gens. (mint condition too) Good sounding amp but it's a bit on the heavy side, (45lbs) 2 8" speakers w/a piezo driver. I use to with my Mandolin and Acoustic for rehearsals with the boys. The fishman and Bose S1 sound better though, and they're much easier to get in an out of places. -- I guess you can't have enough amps, even for acoustics?

I have a Fender Acoustasonic JR as well, It's one of the earlier gens. (mint condition too) Good sounding amp but it's a bit on the heavy side, (45lbs)

The Carvin in my avatar is an old AG100D, it's got 100w and a 12 with a tweeter and digital effects. I think it's about 38lbs. It's GOT to be close to 15 years old. The effects are kind of cheezy, but set up clean it will hold it's own and I still use it some. Me and Owen generally use a full p.a. rig because we're thick headed and old......

The Carvin in my avatar is an old AG100D, it's got 100w and a 12 with a tweeter and digital effects. I think it's about 38lbs. It's GOT to be close to 15 years old. The effects are kind of cheezy, but set up clean it will hold it's own and I still use it some. Me and Owen generally use a full p.a. rig because we're thick headed and old......

I remember those Carvins. One of the guys I jamed with on a saturday afternoon a few years back had one. It looked like he had dragged it behind his truck for a few weeks. It worked tho, and it was pretty loud.

Indeed it is. Many moons ago, we had to use the clean side of our gigging amps, or use a Keyboard amp and drop an EQ and Compressor infront of it, those worked ok, but they were a b!tch to lug around.

I have a Fender Acoustasonic JR as well, It's one of the earlier gens. (mint condition too) Good sounding amp but it's a bit on the heavy side, (45lbs) 2 8" speakers w/a piezo driver. I use to with my Mandolin and Acoustic for rehearsals with the boys. The fishman and Bose S1 sound better though, and they're much easier to get in an out of places. -- I guess you can't have enough amps, even for acoustics?

I have one of the early Acoustasonic JR's also and just replaced it with the Fishman mini a few months ago. The Fishman sounds better, has more power (60w vs 40w) and weighs less than half. I asked a local music store if they would take the Fender in to sell on consignment. They didn't want any part of it.

I have one of the early Acoustasonic JR's also and just replaced it with the Fishman mini a few months ago. The Fishman sounds better, has more power (60w vs 40w) and weighs less than half. I asked a local music store if they would take the Fender in to sell on consignment. They didn't want any part of it.

yea, that doesn't surprise me. They can't give these older units away. Ebay sucks too, freight would kill the deal. Local pickup w/Craigslist is the only option and that sucks in itself. This is why I still have mine, I'd rather keep it than give it away.. on the bright side, it works like the dickens for amping up my Mando..

I use a Fishman Loudbox Artist at home and for some gigs. This includes electric guitar gigs if suitable. Because I get the tone I need from a signal processor, I just need a simple clean amp. The Fishman does a better job than my heavy old Fender ever could.

Archived