Gibson Brands Forums

LP Special Pickup Question

dmay

I have a 1998 LP Special Made at the Nashville Plant. It has two soap bar pickups. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what pickups were put in these guitars? P100's, P90s, or something else?

I appreciate your feedback. [biggrin]

I had a Black 98 Special. P-100s. MAN I should have kept that guitar.

rct

Thanks rct! I appreciate the feedback.

Let me throw this out to everyone. IF you had a 98 Special would you keep the p100s or replace them with something else?

I know much of this is preference, but I would love feedback from people who have been down this road.

Thanks!

I have a 1998 LP Special Made at the Nashville Plant. It has two soap bar pickups. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what pickups were put in these guitars? P100's, P90s, or something else?

I appreciate your feedback. [biggrin]

Is this a 98 Les Paul Special Single Cut? Is it a Faded model?

Is this a 98 Les Paul Special Single Cut? Is it a Faded model?

Single Cutaway, black pickguard. It is forest green that has some gloss to it... to be honest, I am not sure if it qualifies as a faded but with the flat top (no carved top) and rather glossy finish, I don't think so. Not sure when they started making the Faded series. The guitar does not have a bolt-on neck.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post.

D

Single Cutaway, black pickguard. It is forest green that has some gloss to it... to be honest, I am not sure if it qualifies as a faded but with the flat top (no carved top) and rather glossy finish, I don't think so. Not sure when they started making the Faded series. The guitar does not have a bolt-on neck.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post.

D

The information on the web report that the Green 1998 Gibson Les Special's stock pickups are P-100's..

ufgg5y1uz5k6qm8utcje.jpg

Reverb has had a lot of them in the past listed as Les Paul Special ranging from $800 to $1400 depending on condition. The faded cherry or black versions go for less about $400 to $800.

The information on the web report that the Green 1998 Gibson Les Special's stock pickups are P-100's..

ufgg5y1uz5k6qm8utcje.jpg

Reverb has had a lot of them in the past listed as Les Paul Special ranging from $800 to $1400 depending on condition. The faded cherry or black versions go for less about $400 to $800.

wow! thanks so much for all the info. I appreciate your helpful and timely responses.

D

P-100's are nice pickups, IMHO. I have 2 guitars with them...both Gibson LP "Junior lite's." One Red ("Cinnamon") and one Gloss Black.

Both are Double Cutaway, with mini-trapezoid fingerboard markers, as opposed to "dot" markers. They were only made a couple (3?)

years. Some feel, however, that the P-100's lack the "roundness" and overt "growl" that a true P-90 has. I concur, with that

in some respects. But, I love the no noise, and their own kind of "tone," as well. Never had any problem getting the sound I

want, out of them! So...??? To each his/her own.

0LVUdfX.jpg

0L3xdzU.jpg

Cheers,

CB

P-100's are nice pickups, IMHO. I have 2 guitars with them...both Gibson LP "Junior lite's." One Red ("Cinnamon") and one Gloss Black.

Both are Double Cutaway, with mini-trapezoid fingerboard markers, as opposed to "dot" markers. They were only made a couple (3?)

years. Some feel, however, that the P-100's lack the "roundness" and overt "growl" that a true P-90 has. I concur, with that

in some respects. But, I love the no noise, and their own kind of "tone," as well. Never had any problem getting the sound I

want, out of them! So...??? To each his/her own.

0LVUdfX.jpg

0L3xdzU.jpg

Cheers,

CB

Thanks for offering some insight into the differences between these two PUs. Thanks also for sharing the pics. Like the gold hardware on that Black one. Very nice. [thumbup]

D

Archived