Gibson Brands Forums

Body Dimensions

gampadoug

Body and necks are the same. I checked mine to be certain, a 2016 vs 2016.

The only difference I can find in construction is the "standard" is maple/poplar/maple 3 ply, and the studio is 3 ply maple.

Sure a difference in pups, but body-wise the are both full gloss with body and neck binding.

So the huge price difference can't be due to the same proportional cost.

I thought that was a good question, actually, as anyone familiar with Les Pauls would know Studio versions (being less expensive) have "smaller" bodies in that the tops are usually uncapped and flat which certainly reduces the cost. But there is no such "reduction" in the ES-335 body.

If you are considering getting a '15-'16 Studio and are trying to determine if it is a "real" (not watered down) ES-335, the answer is yes, it is real. Mine has the excellent fit and finish that is typical of the recent years Memphis offerings. No shortcomings there just because it is a Studio.

Less appointments, but with the body/neck build quality and '57 Classic pups, it delivers.

I thought that was a good question, actually, as anyone familiar with Les Pauls would know Studio versions (being less expensive) have "smaller" bodies in that the tops are usually uncapped and flat which certainly reduces the cost. But there is no such "reduction" in the ES-335 body.

If you are considering getting a '15-'16 Studio and are trying to determine if it is a "real" (not watered down) ES-335, the answer is yes, it is real. Mine has the excellent fit and finish that is typical of the recent years Memphis offerings. No shortcomings there just because it is a Studio.

Less appointments, but with the body/neck build quality and '57 Classic pups, it delivers.

Yes I was considering a hand full of studios but ultimately opted for a satin cherry for the same $$ as some of the mid to higher end studios. The studios were newer and cleaner than the standard I would up with but the one I bought has character! :rolleyes:

My research would indicate that the studio 335's are every bit "real" 335's - sans a few appointments. My question regarding the body size stems from the fact that I have a comfort issue with Les Pauls and need the forearm contour of the Strat. With the 335 the body is just large enough that my arm goes completely over the top and there are no comfort problems. I tried a 339 but the body was just smaller enough that it bugged my forearm.

Thanx again for your reply, Wmachine.

Archived