• You cannot reply to this topic

Martin Retros on a 'hog slope?

#21 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• Follow your joy, grasshopper.
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:46 PM

View Postdhanners623, on 14 July 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

.....how long do the titaniums last, on average?

Yeah, no such thing as "average" when it comes to guitar strings. However we can make guess-himations...........

Just tossing around numbers that most certainly vary from player to player, let's say you change strings every 6-7 weeks at $7/set......that's about $50-60/year on strings. As I mentioned above, the titanium set on the J45 are a few days shy of four months play......and I play them a lot. There is no appreciable difference in feel or tone and there are no tuning issues since they went on the guitar........truly, no difference at all. Intonation is very good (.012s), no spotty corrosion....they look like I just installed them. I anticipate at least another four months play but won't be surprised if they last another six or seven, or even more. The $40 price of admission for a set titaniums stacks up pretty well against the price of seven or eight bronze sets over the same period of time. Yes, they are expensive, but if they are tonally the right string for you and your guitar they are no more expensive and perhaps even less over time.

They are much like Retros in tone but feel much, much smoother under the fingers. They are literally like wet noodles coming out of the paper slips......the titanium core is incredibly flexible which seems to translate to noticeably lower string tension......very, very easy to play. I understand that string choice is like everything else that's subjective in this world and everyone has their favorite for their particular instrument(s), but if you're a fan of Retros you will most certainly like the titaniums.......they're the same but soooo much better in many ways, and actually about the same price as bronze over the course of several months.
J45 Vintage & J35
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been. Buc, from Me & Eddie
The 20th Maine An original, historically accurate account of Chamberlain's defense of Little Round Top, just south of Gettysburg, on July 2, 1863.

#22 User is offline   philfish 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

I have a set of titaniums on my J45TV they brought out the bass E that was lacking with other strings.
The D string broke on my set, replaced it with a retro D all good.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users