Gibson Brands Forums: Are there any smoother tuners that will drop in for a 2017 J45 Standard? - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are there any smoother tuners that will drop in for a 2017 J45 Standard?

#1 User is offline   jjrpilot 

• Group: All Access

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

I love this guitar to death, but these tuners are very clunky, not smooth and have play which makes it difficult to tune. I was wondering if there were some better drop in replacements for a 2017 J45 Standard.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
2017 Gibson J45 Standard
2016 Taylor 324
2014 Gibson AE LG2

#2 User is offline   Pittgibson45 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:07 AM

I agree that rotomatics are big and clunky, but I have always found them to be very smooth and tune accurately. The problem with changing them is with almost any other tuner you have to add another screw hole. There are ones that will drop in, but they have two screws.
'06 Advanced Jumbo
'14 J-200 Standard
'13 J-35
'11 J-45 Standard
'11 Epi Masterbilt AJ 500ME

#3 User is offline   jvi 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:08 AM

yes there is better tuners, many.

#4 User is online   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

One screw suffices

#5 User is offline   craig_no 

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

View Postjjrpilot, on 12 July 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

I love this guitar to death, but these tuners are very clunky, not smooth and have play which makes it difficult to tune. I was wondering if there were some better drop in replacements for a 2017 J45 Standard.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Try tightening the screw on the end of the tuner button?

On another forum Wade Hampton suggested new Gotohs as a better-quality alternative to Grovers.

This post has been edited by craig_no: 12 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

Gibson J-45

#6 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• Follow your joy, grasshopper.
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

The only "drop-in" machines requiring no mods are Grover 135 keystones. Yes, this one has two screw holes. The lower one lines up perfectly with the existing one from the Rotomatics..........the upper one is optional since the machines are bolted to the headstock. Any other machine from another maker will require some degree of mod, like re-drilling for the post, bushings for a smaller post (leaving a raccoon eye on the face of the headstock), new screw holes, etc. Maker-to-maker is the only way to escape modifications to existing post bores and screw locations.
J35 - J45 Vintage
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been.

#7 User is offline   billroy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 12 July 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

The only "drop-in" machines requiring no mods are Grover 135 keystones. Yes, this one has two screw holes. The lower one lines up perfectly with the existing one from the Rotomatics..........the upper one is optional since the machines are bolted to the headstock. Any other machine from another maker will require some degree of mod, like re-drilling for the post, bushings for a smaller post (leaving a raccoon eye on the face of the headstock), new screw holes, etc. Maker-to-maker is the only way to escape modifications to existing post bores and screw locations.

Those Grover's look nice to me, and I wouldn't have an issue putting a second screw hole in. I love having tuners I love on a guitar, just adds to the overall love of the guitar. but remember, love your guitar, don't LOVE your guitar.
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'00 Fender Strat (American Standard)
'90 Fender Strat (Korea, bought in an open market in Korea... yeah it might be real)
'68 Gibson SG
'17 Several 3 String CBGs

"Want people to listen to your stuff, don't play boring stuff..." heard somewhere.

#8 User is offline   songman 

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:04 AM

https://hipshotprodu...tuning-machines

This is what I am getting but with a more classic button both for my J45 and my Bird

This post has been edited by songman: 13 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

2017 Taylor K62ce 12-fret 12-string LTD
2017 Gibson Hummingbird HCS
2016 Gibson J45
2015 Martin HD28V
2014 Taylor Mini GS-e RW
2004 Larrivee D10
2002 Ovation Custom Elite CE778

#9 User is offline   SkyRider 

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:26 PM

Here you go. The description actually stated replacement for Rotomatics.

https://g-gotoh.com/...uct/sxn510.html

Posted Image

From the Gotoh web link:

“It is said that the performance and durability of open-gear machine heads is inferior to sealed-gear (Rotomatic) types. Because the bushing is physically separate from the machine head body it is difficult to accurately position the string post through it when mounting onto the guitar. To solve these problems the SXB510 series includes a centering guide at the base of the body to ensure a flush fit combined with Rock Solid string posts. Also, the SXN510 series employs a nut mount system and can be installed as a direct replacement into the same holes drilled for Rotomatic style tuners.
The improved performance and durability which the SX510 series provides, thanks to GOTOH’s unique design and manufacturing, gives you the chance to experience a sound you’ve never heard before.“

This post has been edited by SkyRider: 13 July 2018 - 11:30 PM

#10 User is offline   craig_no 

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:35 PM

View PostSkyRider, on 13 July 2018 - 11:26 PM, said:

Here you go. The description actually stated replacement for Rotomatics.

From the Gotoh web link:

“It is said that the performance and durability of open-gear machine heads is inferior to sealed-gear (Rotomatic) types. Because the bushing is physically separate from the machine head body it is difficult to accurately position the string post through it when mounting onto the guitar. To solve these problems the SXB510 series includes a centering guide at the base of the body to ensure a flush fit combined with Rock Solid string posts. Also, the SXN510 series employs a nut mount system and can be installed as a direct replacement into the same holes drilled for Rotomatic style tuners.
The improved performance and durability which the SX510 series provides, thanks to GOTOH’s unique design and manufacturing, gives you the chance to experience a sound you’ve never heard before.“

These look great. I had problems fitting Waverlys on my J-45: the press-bushings wouldn’t seat properly. These Gotohs have the screw-in bushing, which would lock them in tight. Thanks!
Gibson J-45

#11 User is offline   zombywoof 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:27 AM

While I am usually a if it ain't broke don't fix it kind, to me it does not matter how they work because Rotomatics just look so wrong on a Gibson J-45. The Gotohs recommended above look like they would be a good replacement. You also might check to see if the Stewmac Grover Sta-Ties would be a drop in replacement. I had a set put on one of my Harmony Sovereign Sovereigns and really liked them.

"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White

#12 User is online   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

zombywoof, on 14 July 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

While I am usually a if it ain't broke don't fix it kind, to me it does not matter how they work because Rotomatics just look so wrong on a Gibson J-45. The Gotohs recommended above look like they would be a good replacement. You also might check to see if the Stewmac Grover Sta-Ties would be a drop in replacement. I had a set put on one of my Harmony Sovereign Sovereigns and really liked them.

I had sat tites on my j45 for a while
Missed the white buttons though
They’re great tuners the sta tites

Think I needed the little grommet that stewmac will sell you
I remember emailing saying I was unsure and they sent me two sizes as I’m away i Ireland
They’ll help you out

But I’d pick something with white buttons for a 45

#13 User is online   Boyd 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNew Jersey Pine Barrens

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 14 July 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

The Gotohs recommended above look like they would be a good replacement.

The problem with these - and any "drop in" replacement - is that they will still have the big washers on the front. IMO, that is one of the ugliest things about the rotomatics.

I don't know what has changed with the rotomatics that are on the new Gibsons, but with my 2008 J-50, there was no "smoothness" issue. I thought the Rotomatics worked just fine, but like zomby said - they just looked so wrong. ;)

This post has been edited by Boyd: 14 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

1965 Gibson J-50 ADJ
1974 GIbson J-50 Deluxe
2008 Gibson J-50 Modern Classic

#14 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:33 PM

I have Grover Rotomatics on my D-35 and open back, Sta-Tites on my AJ. Yes, the Rotomatics are clunky, but I would never say they weren't smooth. Quite the contrary. Compared to the Sta-Tites the Rotomatics are super smooth and accurate. I think many people just dont like the look and are looking for an excuse for replacing the Rotomatics that aren't the most appealing to the eye, but they work flawlessly. The Sta-Tites are crap. I'm on my second set on the AJ and it's only a 2012. They became super stiff, crunchy and were not smooth at all. I've come to peace with leaving the Rotomatics on the D-35 simply because when that model was created in the 60's it had Rotomatics on it from the beginning, so they're staying on the D-35. It's so nice tuning with them after struggling with the Start-Tites on the AJ.

This post has been edited by sbpark: 14 July 2018 - 01:51 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users