Gibson Brands Forums

Are there any smoother tuners that will drop in for a 2017 J45 Standard?

jjrpilot

I love this guitar to death, but these tuners are very clunky, not smooth and have play which makes it difficult to tune. I was wondering if there were some better drop in replacements for a 2017 J45 Standard.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I agree that rotomatics are big and clunky, but I have always found them to be very smooth and tune accurately. The problem with changing them is with almost any other tuner you have to add another screw hole. There are ones that will drop in, but they have two screws.

I love this guitar to death, but these tuners are very clunky, not smooth and have play which makes it difficult to tune. I was wondering if there were some better drop in replacements for a 2017 J45 Standard.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Try tightening the screw on the end of the tuner button?

On another forum Wade Hampton suggested new Gotohs as a better-quality alternative to Grovers.

The only "drop-in" machines requiring no mods are Grover 135 keystones. Yes, this one has two screw holes. The lower one lines up perfectly with the existing one from the Rotomatics..........the upper one is optional since the machines are bolted to the headstock. Any other machine from another maker will require some degree of mod, like re-drilling for the post, bushings for a smaller post (leaving a raccoon eye on the face of the headstock), new screw holes, etc. Maker-to-maker is the only way to escape modifications to existing post bores and screw locations.

The only "drop-in" machines requiring no mods are Grover 135 keystones. Yes, this one has two screw holes. The lower one lines up perfectly with the existing one from the Rotomatics..........the upper one is optional since the machines are bolted to the headstock. Any other machine from another maker will require some degree of mod, like re-drilling for the post, bushings for a smaller post (leaving a raccoon eye on the face of the headstock), new screw holes, etc. Maker-to-maker is the only way to escape modifications to existing post bores and screw locations.

Those Grover's look nice to me, and I wouldn't have an issue putting a second screw hole in. I love having tuners I love on a guitar, just adds to the overall love of the guitar. but remember, love your guitar, don't LOVE your guitar.

Here you go. The description actually stated replacement for Rotomatics.

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sxn510.html

1310_D474-4_B59-4_B61-_A9_A7-2_B0_FB9334_CC7.jpg

From the Gotoh web link:

“It is said that the performance and durability of open-gear machine heads is inferior to sealed-gear (Rotomatic) types. Because the bushing is physically separate from the machine head body it is difficult to accurately position the string post through it when mounting onto the guitar. To solve these problems the SXB510 series includes a centering guide at the base of the body to ensure a flush fit combined with Rock Solid string posts. Also, the SXN510 series employs a nut mount system and can be installed as a direct replacement into the same holes drilled for Rotomatic style tuners.

The improved performance and durability which the SX510 series provides, thanks to GOTOH’s unique design and manufacturing, gives you the chance to experience a sound you’ve never heard before.“

Here you go. The description actually stated replacement for Rotomatics.

From the Gotoh web link:

“It is said that the performance and durability of open-gear machine heads is inferior to sealed-gear (Rotomatic) types. Because the bushing is physically separate from the machine head body it is difficult to accurately position the string post through it when mounting onto the guitar. To solve these problems the SXB510 series includes a centering guide at the base of the body to ensure a flush fit combined with Rock Solid string posts. Also, the SXN510 series employs a nut mount system and can be installed as a direct replacement into the same holes drilled for Rotomatic style tuners.

The improved performance and durability which the SX510 series provides, thanks to GOTOH’s unique design and manufacturing, gives you the chance to experience a sound you’ve never heard before.“

These look great. I had problems fitting Waverlys on my J-45: the press-bushings wouldn’t seat properly. These Gotohs have the screw-in bushing, which would lock them in tight. Thanks!

While I am usually a if it ain't broke don't fix it kind, to me it does not matter how they work because Rotomatics just look so wrong on a Gibson J-45. The Gotohs recommended above look like they would be a good replacement. You also might check to see if the Stewmac Grover Sta-Ties would be a drop in replacement. I had a set put on one of my Harmony Sovereign Sovereigns and really liked them.

While I am usually a if it ain't broke don't fix it kind, to me it does not matter how they work because Rotomatics just look so wrong on a Gibson J-45. The Gotohs recommended above look like they would be a good replacement. You also might check to see if the Stewmac Grover Sta-Ties would be a drop in replacement. I had a set put on one of my Harmony Sovereign Sovereigns and really liked them.

I had sat tites on my j45 for a while

Missed the white buttons though

They’re great tuners the sta tites

Think I needed the little grommet that stewmac will sell you

I remember emailing saying I was unsure and they sent me two sizes as I’m away i Ireland

They’ll help you out

But I’d pick something with white buttons for a 45

The Gotohs recommended above look like they would be a good replacement.

The problem with these - and any "drop in" replacement - is that they will still have the big washers on the front. IMO, that is one of the ugliest things about the rotomatics.

I don't know what has changed with the rotomatics that are on the new Gibsons, but with my 2008 J-50, there was no "smoothness" issue. I thought the Rotomatics worked just fine, but like zomby said - they just looked so wrong. ;)

I have Grover Rotomatics on my D-35 and open back, Sta-Tites on my AJ. Yes, the Rotomatics are clunky, but I would never say they weren't smooth. Quite the contrary. Compared to the Sta-Tites the Rotomatics are super smooth and accurate. I think many people just dont like the look and are looking for an excuse for replacing the Rotomatics that aren't the most appealing to the eye, but they work flawlessly. The Sta-Tites are crap. I'm on my second set on the AJ and it's only a 2012. They became super stiff, crunchy and were not smooth at all. I've come to peace with leaving the Rotomatics on the D-35 simply because when that model was created in the 60's it had Rotomatics on it from the beginning, so they're staying on the D-35. It's so nice tuning with them after struggling with the Start-Tites on the AJ.

Archived