Gibson Brands Forums

New player. Love the LP

deltapapatango

Hello all.

On a whim, I took an introductory lesson in a guitar store when on holidays. Dude said yeah grab a guitar off the wall and let's go! I grabbed a lemon burst Traditional off the wall and had a lesson.

Love it. The stock width seems small for me and my hands. I do understand that chords are hard to get around for a beginner but my hands are large.

Is the 2015 Gibson 2015 my only option for wider nut widths on a solid body?

Are there any wide options in a hollow body? Always looked at Izzy Stradlin and his ES-175 as a bad *** combo.

Anyways. Nice to be here.

1957 LP has a nut width of 42.5mm according to www.vintageguitarboutique.com.

2015 LP USA models are 45.993mm according to Gibson.com

Hi Delta, welcome to the forum.

in 2015 Gibson introduced a number of design changes, a wider neck was one of them. Lots of people didn't like these innovations, so Gibson eventually sorted it out, and went in a different direction. If you check out the Les Paul Standard HP-II, they may still support the wider neck. These also have auto-tuners, and a few other major deviations from the traditional and regular standards. eg: most of the added things that many people disliked when the 2015 models were introduced. This is why you see the differences in the 2015 spec

here's one example: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Standard-HP-II-2018.aspx

check the specs page for the details.

Hello Kidblast. Thanks for the response.

Didn't notice the HP. It does have a wider than normal neck - 1.745". Not sure if the string distance is wider as well?

The 2015 Les Paul's had a 1.795" nut width but still had stock string spacing. Not sure if I can get a new nut from maybe Graph Tech that spreads the strings out to maximize the fretboard space?

Again thanks for the response.

Didn't notice the HP. It does have a wider than normal neck - 1.745". Not sure if the string distance is wider as well?

The 2015 Les Paul's had a 1.795" nut width but still had stock string spacing. Not sure if I can get a new nut from maybe Graph Tech that spreads the strings out to maximize the fretboard space?

yea, good question.. you may be able to, or at least if you know a good setup guy, convert to a blank nut that could be cut to size.

So I asked a local luthier and he responded yes that is possible on a 2015 Gibson Les Paul. Widen the nut as much as possible to give more string spacing.

My only question now is if I should request a Tusq nut or go with his suggestion of buffalo bone. Any onsite on this guys?

If you ask me? I thought about getting a Seagull 12 and they come with tusk which I read are very hard and most folks go with bone. Personally, I don't think your going to tell the difference. Its a matter of preference.

I would be carefull though,i think someone tryed that on the one im playing and the strings all match up on the pickup magnets,but the low e string on the fret board seems to want to slide off the fretboard,either that or i been practicing for a yr doing something wrong.Hope you found or find what you are looking for.Rock on brother🎸

I would be carefull though,i think someone tryed that on the one im playing and the strings all match up on the pickup magnets,but the low e string on the fret board seems to want to slide off the fretboard,either that or i been practicing for a yr doing something wrong.Hope you found or find what you are looking for.Rock on brother🎸

Is there a negative to the match up to pick up magnets issue or is it cosmetic?

Thanks for the response.

Heard the graphtech tusk xl nut is a good one,it has self lubricating built in the material.dont know if that helps,🎸

Thanks for the response. They came to mind as they make a replacement nut specifically for the 2015 Les Paul. It is with stock string spacing as well.

I think I'll go with what the luthier wants to use. Keep him happy as I havent seen anything to keep me from going with bone.

The string is steel ,so the magnets on the pickups shouldnt be to close to the pickups or it can actually make sustain end end quicker and ruin the tone somewhat,yes they will be louder but at a cost,so no its not for cosmetics lol.also the pickups being each at a different heigth can change the tone,and if the string is not right over the magnet it plays with the string,its a magnet and the string as its picked rotates like a jumping rope,if it isnt right over the magnet,the magnet will try to draw the string towards the magnet center,if the pickups are at the right heigth they arent as loud,but thier picking up the sound,with a better sound,more sustain in the string without affecting what the string is trying to do,or affecting what you are playing.Tone wise,how long that tone lasts,also the hole pickup can be raised or lowered to gain highs or more lows.To each his own,but each pole peice can be adjusted also if you have to much tone from a certain string.hope this helps.But yes my low e sattle is cut more toward the edge of the fretboard and its not perfectly over the center.I guess thats why my string is trying to slide of the edge lol,im new and learning as i go.Hope it helps.But yee bone or that tusk xl ive heard good things.I have heard that in bone there are inconsistencies in hardness,where the tusk xl is man made ivory or tusk or whtever inpregnated with graphite or whatnot.But to be more vintage correct im sure they picked bone.Best of luck brother

Archived