Gibson Brands Forums

NS Micro Tuner with NO Clip for SJ200

drathbun

I REALLY like the D'addario/Planetwaves NS Micro Tuner for the soundhole. I use them in my Martin and Taylor. I wanted to put one in my SJ200 but because the pickguard is so thick and right up against the sound hole, the notch for the pickup is too narrow as it is designed to fit a standard thickness guitar top.

53f46d13e4973442a9bfd10131633649-970-80.jpg

So I tried cannibalizing a regular NS Micro Clip-on tuner that clips to the headstock. Of course, it doesn't get small enough to clamp on to that small a thickness having been designed for headstocks. So I added bit of rubber from a cheap tuner to make it thick enough.

pXj6CZ5.jpg?1

That seemed to work okay but you can't access the on/off switch and controls while it is on the guitar.

So I saw this NS Micro Tuner with NO clip advertised and installed it. You take a screw from a single tuner on the back of the headstock and use that screw to fasten the tuner to the guitar. I put it on the high E string tuner and it works beautifully. However, I couldn't hang my guitar in my Hercules wall hangers. So I moved it to the G string tuner and it works great. It can't be seen from the front and it is easy to see while playing.

hsemdBm.jpg

Doug, do I have this right... you screwed into the headstock the NS tuner?

To each his own... but your guitar is stunning. I'd hate to alter it for that.

Man, you are so picky.

A roofing nail would be quicker...

Doug, do I have this right... you screwed into the headstock the NS tuner?

To each his own... but your guitar is stunning. I'd hate to alter it for that.

Edit... nevermind... you are using the exiting tuner screw and hole... sorry!

Relax. It doesn't alter the guitar a bit. You remove a single screw from a tuner and put the screw through the NS Micro and then back into the tuner hole. Taking it out is the same process in reverse. Of course, you don't yarf on the screw at any point - gentle in and gentle out.

Oh... hehe.. I see you got it.

Relax. It doesn't alter the guitar a bit. You remove a single screw from a tuner and put the screw through the NS Micro and then back into the tuner hole. Taking it out is the same process in reverse. Of course, you don't yarf on the screw at any point - gentle in and gentle out.

Oh... hehe.. I see you got it.

I had one of the ones in the second picture down in the OP. It was slow to react and off compared to my Boss TU-3 and Snark.

I had one of the ones in the second picture down in the OP. It was slow to react and off compared to my Boss TU-3 and Snark.

I have one of these. They are very accurate and very quick. It makes the headstock a tad heavy though. [wink]

20151105124546.jpg

ok, another newbie question. what's the purpose of these, i.e. for tuning in a noisy room? other than that, I can't understand why it's really necessary. you guys are a whole lot better than me, but i'm able to get my guitar in tune? ... but I don't tune in a noisy room, so could understand why that's legitimate.

ok, another newbie question. what's the purpose of these, i.e. for tuning in a noisy room? other than that, I can't understand why it's really necessary. you guys are a whole lot better than me, but i'm able to get my guitar in tune? ... but I don't tune in a noisy room, so could understand why that's legitimate.

What are you using ?

A microphone tuner ?

What are you using ?

A microphone tuner ?

I use my iPhone to get an A and go from there... sorry Kidblast, I'm one of those darn folks who tune down 1/2 steps :)

...but you know what, I'm not trying to stay in tune with folks, but relative tuning. So I'm only checking my strings against each other. If I had to maintain tuned to an E, I can see it. and as claimed up front, newbie question.

I tune 1/2 step down also , the little micro tuners show flat and sharp steps so it’s easy done

Or stick a capo on 1

I bought mine before iPhones had tuner apps , also because I was playing in bars and a mic tuner is no use

But once you have a clip on tuner you’ll never look back Bill

Can I ask just out of curiosity though, how often in a group setting are you retuning... is it something you do a little check on every song, or only when you hear things go a little hay wire? appreciate the conversation, apologies if it's background noise

Can I ask just out of curiosity though, how often in a group setting are you retuning... is it something you do a little check on every song, or only when you hear things go a little hay wire? appreciate the conversation, apologies if it's background noise

I keep an eye on it would be best way to put it

Usually grand for a few songs. I capo a lot , about 90% of my songs , and sometimes the low E needs a wee smidge .

Tuning up once and throwing it back in the bag isn’t an option.

Probably properly check all strings every two to three songs , but doesn’t always need anything touched

I keep an eye on it would be best way to put it

Usually grand for a few songs. I capo a lot , about 90% of my songs , and sometimes the low E needs a wee smidge .

Tuning up once and throwing it back in the bag isn’t an option.

Probably properly check all strings every two to three songs , but doesn’t always need anything touched

thanks for the input, appreciate it!

The selling point for me with the sound hole clips is they stay in the guitar. I don't have to remove them and replace when I need them. but I leave this in the Taylors.. just turn on, tune, turn off.

and tuning to E-flat,, hey Bill, just continue to go with what ever works man. Just tune to D#, BFlat, etc.. and you're there.

Archived