Gibson Brands Forums: Replacemet Orange Label '61 J200 - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Replacemet Orange Label '61 J200

#1 User is offline   hotroddeville 

• Group: All Access

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:42 PM

Hi all, new to the forum. I just bought a very clean 1961 J-200N. The only problem is it is missing the factory orange label. Should I have a replacement made and apply it back to the guitar? Will a repro label hurt the value of the guitar a measurable amount? If I do replace it, how should I go about applying the label as the one I am looking at does not have adhesive on back of label. Thanks for any help and info.

#2 User is online   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:02 AM

That's funny you ask. I bought a repro white Kalamazoo label and may or may not stick it to my '50 J50. I thought of it because I wouldn't want my kid to lose track of what it is when I go to get my lessons from Hendrix and he gets all my instruments. If it's put on it wouldn't be hard to remove, should you get a feeling you'd get less money for it. I'll assume it's a keeper. Zinzer, a paint supply company makes a wallpaper repair adhesive that comes in a toothpaste-like tube called Sure-Grip. That's what I'll use, given you'd like it to stay on wood which is subject to drying and absorption of moisture. If you want to take it off a sponge with very hot water will loosen it, but there will be a discoloration where it once was. Is there a residue or shadow from the original?

Really, any hobby Elmer's type paste would stick it on, but for how long it stays is the question.
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

#3 User is offline   hotroddeville 

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

View Postjedzep, on 13 July 2018 - 04:02 AM, said:

That's funny you ask. I bought a repro white Kalamazoo label and may or may not stick it to my '50 J50. I thought of it because I wouldn't want my kid to lose track of what it is when I go to get my lessons from Hendrix and he gets all my instruments. If it's put on it wouldn't be hard to remove, should you get a feeling you'd get less money for it. I'll assume it's a keeper. Zinzer, a paint supply company makes a wallpaper repair adhesive that comes in a toothpaste-like tube called Sure-Grip. That's what I'll use, given you'd like it to stay on wood which is subject to drying and absorption of moisture. If you want to take it off a sponge with very hot water will loosen it, but there will be a discoloration where it once was. Is there a residue or shadow from the original?

Really, any hobby Elmer's type paste would stick it on, but for how long it stays is the question.

Yes it does have a lighter looking place from the original. I have seen where some people have used hot hide glue but I wonder if it will bleed thru especially on a repro label. Anybody know anybody with a NOS label?

#4 User is online   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

That's why I'd use the Sure-Grip, it's meant for paper w/o bleed through. It sets in about 10 seconds so have your plan of action ready Put on a rubber glove and smear a light coat evenly over the label, having a damp sponge ready to take off any excess.
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

#5 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

NOS labels pop up from time to time, here is one on eBay...

https://www.ebay.com...&LH_TitleDesc=0

#6 User is offline   hotroddeville 

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

OK, went ahead and ordered a repro label on Ebay. Looks very good, not gonna put it on just yet. Not sure it is correct size. Anybody know the original dimensions of early '60's orange label?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users