Gibson Brands Forums

Replacemet Orange Label '61 J200

hotroddeville

Hi all, new to the forum. I just bought a very clean 1961 J-200N. The only problem is it is missing the factory orange label. Should I have a replacement made and apply it back to the guitar? Will a repro label hurt the value of the guitar a measurable amount? If I do replace it, how should I go about applying the label as the one I am looking at does not have adhesive on back of label. Thanks for any help and info.

That's funny you ask. I bought a repro white Kalamazoo label and may or may not stick it to my '50 J50. I thought of it because I wouldn't want my kid to lose track of what it is when I go to get my lessons from Hendrix and he gets all my instruments. If it's put on it wouldn't be hard to remove, should you get a feeling you'd get less money for it. I'll assume it's a keeper. Zinzer, a paint supply company makes a wallpaper repair adhesive that comes in a toothpaste-like tube called Sure-Grip. That's what I'll use, given you'd like it to stay on wood which is subject to drying and absorption of moisture. If you want to take it off a sponge with very hot water will loosen it, but there will be a discoloration where it once was. Is there a residue or shadow from the original?

Really, any hobby Elmer's type paste would stick it on, but for how long it stays is the question.

That's funny you ask. I bought a repro white Kalamazoo label and may or may not stick it to my '50 J50. I thought of it because I wouldn't want my kid to lose track of what it is when I go to get my lessons from Hendrix and he gets all my instruments. If it's put on it wouldn't be hard to remove, should you get a feeling you'd get less money for it. I'll assume it's a keeper. Zinzer, a paint supply company makes a wallpaper repair adhesive that comes in a toothpaste-like tube called Sure-Grip. That's what I'll use, given you'd like it to stay on wood which is subject to drying and absorption of moisture. If you want to take it off a sponge with very hot water will loosen it, but there will be a discoloration where it once was. Is there a residue or shadow from the original?

Really, any hobby Elmer's type paste would stick it on, but for how long it stays is the question.

Yes it does have a lighter looking place from the original. I have seen where some people have used hot hide glue but I wonder if it will bleed thru especially on a repro label. Anybody know anybody with a NOS label?

That's why I'd use the Sure-Grip, it's meant for paper w/o bleed through. It sets in about 10 seconds so have your plan of action ready Put on a rubber glove and smear a light coat evenly over the label, having a damp sponge ready to take off any excess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went ahead and put label in, looks great. Size is very close if not perfect. I had it appraised at Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville, Mr. Carter said the replacement label would not devalue the guitar in any way, due to the fact everything else on guitar was original and serial number on headstock original. Would be hard for anybody to tell the difference in my opinion.

Archived