• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Picky

#21 User is offline   Dave F 

• Plain Old Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationKY

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:37 PM

Being in Texas, maybe someone slipped Buc some of those armadillo picks and passed them off as turtle.

#22 User is offline   ThemisSal 

• Ordinary Member

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:23 PM

blindboygrunt said:

1531772473[/url]' post='1945802']
https://rover.ebay.c...%2F140872233726

That them ?

Yes sir

#23 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:27 AM

View Post62burst, on 16 July 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

SBPick- . . . I mean 'Park- Really? ? Dude, you need to accessorize. Not. (and I thought I had a problem) :)

I only own 2 acoustics. Way cheaper to mess around with different pics to get different sounds/tones than go through a ton of guitars. My two acoustics are an AJ and a D-35. I can cover a lot of ground with just those two guitars and a bunch of different picks.

#24 User is offline   ThemisSal 

• Ordinary Member

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:36 AM

sbpark said:

1531812434[/url]' post='1945867']
I only own 2 acoustics. Way cheaper to mess around with different pics to get different sounds/tones than go through a ton of guitars. My two acoustics are an AJ and a D-35. I can cover a lot of ground with just those two guitars and a bunch of different picks.

This makes sense. Ask me how I know.

#25 User is offline   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:59 AM

...and as I play around with re-shaping my picks, I'm finding that I'm streamlining my alternate picking a notch by rounding the tips. Watch out, Molly Tuttle!
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

#26 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:32 AM

So the Blue Chips are a type of thermoplastic. I wonder if there is yet a material no one has thought of?

Let's see.

Animal, Mineral, Vegetable....

#27 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

View PostThemisSal, on 17 July 2018 - 03:36 AM, said:

This makes sense. Ask me how I know.

Oh, I know all about your "addiction". I've been there. Had a spare bedroom turned into a music room with nearly 20 guitars. These days I'm cool with the two acoustics, (MIGHT want to add a third, but not really looking too hard at the moment). I'm concentrating on Bluegrass flatpicking and dabbling in Chet/Merle-style picking with a thumb pick. It's funny, when I concentrate more on getting better as a player I worry less about searching for guitars. When I am in a rut and feel like I'm stuck with progressing I tend to spend more time thinking I need another guitar.

This post has been edited by sbpark: 17 July 2018 - 02:05 PM

#28 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:01 AM

View Postsbpark, on 17 July 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

It's funny, when I concentrate more on getting better as a player I worry less about searching for guitars.

I'm in a pretty good spot with just 2 (Gibson) acoustics. I do, however, need to dump some amps and up-grade my acoustic p.a. gear.

But picks, you can experiment with picks for a lot less money, even the expensive ones.

Anybody tried the Tusq picks ?

#29 User is offline   LP Trad Pro II 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

View PostMurph, on 19 July 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

I'm in a pretty good spot with just 2 (Gibson) acoustics. I do, however, need to dump some amps and up-grade my acoustic p.a. gear.

But picks, you can experiment with picks for a lot less money, even the expensive ones.

Yes, I did not like them.

#30 User is offline   Zissou Intern 

• Locationbetween the mountains and the sea

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:35 AM

I have used Wegen TF120 triangles for probably 15 years with the occasional Primetone mixed in. I usually use Dawg or D'Andrea on mandolin. I just got a couple Charmed Life Picks ntr and ntf triangles. They sound warm, yet crisp and are the most fluid picks on the strings I have ever played. They just flow.

#31 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

• Member At Large
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

View PostMurph, on 19 July 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

The Graph Tech TUSQ won the years long competition for me 3 or 4 years ago. They've got "Dark" "Warm" and "Bright" flavors and different thicknesses and pick shapes. Around $1 each,
SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013

#32 User is offline   Hall 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationRabbit Hash, Ky.

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

I have some Graph Tech Tusq (warm) myself that I didn't even remember owning until this thread caused me to get my pick box out and polish up my technique once more. The GT Tusq feels and sounds pretty good on my only medium (Pearse) string guitar, a D41. I have lights on everything else and haven't used a pick for ages. This has been a relearning experience for me on the . use it or lose it theme. Also noticed I have GT Tusq pins in an old sq SJ. Don't remember why, but it sounds nice enough to mention them.
"The empty vessel makes the loudest sound." w.s.

#33 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

I picked (see what I did there....) up a 4 pack of Wegen teardrops 1.0 today locally. I sat down with the old mandolin watching the first Cubs game (double header today) and for the first few minutes wasn't terribly impressed.

Then, it happened.....

Wow, these things are pretty awesome. I wasn't sure about the holes, and they seemed light. Maybe I'm getting stronger.

The more I messed with these dudes, the more I liked them. Zero drag, they are like greased lightning. Less muted and dead sounding than my Blue Chip, that's always been one of my problems after years of using Tortex, the Blue Chip sounded "dead", but it still had "something" for the mandolin and I think it was the glide ability when shredding.

My search is far from over, the Tortex isn't working tonewise lately, and I see we have a new member who is a pick maker.

However I sat there shredding the mandolin for what became about an hour and a half and my fingers were getting sore and I'm digging theses Wegens. Spent a few minutes with the J-15 too. At least I now have some first hand experience with them and I like 'em...

#34 User is offline   CharmedLifePcks 

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:02 PM

View PostMurph, on 21 July 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

I picked (see what I did there....) up a 4 pack of Wegen teardrops 1.0 today locally. I sat down with the old mandolin watching the first Cubs game (double header today) and for the first few minutes wasn't terribly impressed.

Then, it happened.....

Wow, these things are pretty awesome. I wasn't sure about the holes, and they seemed light. Maybe I'm getting stronger.

The more I messed with these dudes, the more I liked them. Zero drag, they are like greased lightning. Less muted and dead sounding than my Blue Chip, that's always been one of my problems after years of using Tortex, the Blue Chip sounded "dead", but it still had "something" for the mandolin and I think it was the glide ability when shredding.

My search is far from over, the Tortex isn't working tonewise lately, and I see we have a new member who is a pick maker.

However I sat there shredding the mandolin for what became about an hour and a half and my fingers were getting sore and I'm digging theses Wegens. Spent a few minutes with the J-15 too. At least I now have some first hand experience with them and I like 'em...

Murph, hi again. Feel free to pick my brain. I've played most of the major brands and materials on the market and will give you an honest assessment. I never diss anyone, as I don't roll that way, and there are a lot of great choices out there.

take care,
scott

#35 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:39 AM

I noticed in the "drop" test, the Ultex 1.0 seems "toney-er" than the Wegen, but the Wegen is quicker, quieter and glides better. They're beveled.

I'm going to get some Dunlop Primetones because I've read they are made from Ultex, but they are also beveled.

#36 User is offline   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:11 AM

Hey Murph. Wish I'd found the Primetones years ago. .73 and .88 are my thing now for just the right amount of flex. Can't find fault with them for strumming or country blues picking. They sand and re-polish nicely too for shaping. I recall liking the Red Bears a whole lot, but they eventually broke down and splintered. I thought the Blue Chips were clunky and too thick for the sound I like. Have fun.

This post has been edited by jedzep: 23 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

#37 User is offline   CharmedLifePcks 

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

View PostMurph, on 17 July 2018 - 04:32 AM, said:

So the Blue Chips are a type of thermoplastic. I wonder if there is yet a material no one has thought of?

Let's see.

Animal, Mineral, Vegetable....

Murph, we're at the dawn of a new era, and Blue Chip opened Pandora'S Box.

To give you just an inkling. Within the DuPont family of materials alone, the BC material has more than ten brothers and sisters that have never been turned into guitar picks, by anyone.

There are more than a hundred (100) engineering thermoplastics that have never been tested by anyone as a possible guitar pick material. Easily over a hundred. It's just begun.....

scott memmer

This post has been edited by charmedlife417: 28 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

#38 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:11 AM

So I got three 1.0 Primetones the other day from Sweetwater with some strings.

Is it possible the bevel is TOO sharp? They just don't "glide" across the strings when you are shredding as well as the Wegens OR the regular Ultex that are not beveled. They look like they come to too sharp of a point and I actually prefer the regular clear ones with the Rhino on them. Perhaps they will be better with some wear.

I question that they are hand beveled, I bet it's a machine.

#39 User is offline   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:00 AM

Shape it yourself. 320 grit to 600g to 1200g for polishing.

#40 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:02 AM

View Postjedzep, on 29 July 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

Shape it yourself. 320 grit to 600g to 1200g for polishing.

I'm gonna work on em' with some high tension mandolin strings....

[biggrin]

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users