• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Picky

#41 User is offline   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:06 AM

Hah! For me, just a slight rounding off of the point and a slight bullnosing sped my picking up and mellowed the tone on my spruce tops. The hog still likes the sharper point, but still bullnosed.
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

#42 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• Follow your joy, grasshopper.
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:41 AM

View PostPrairieSchooner, on 16 July 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

Hmmm. I have a bunch but have been using the same two or three favorites for years. Maybe you had some defective turtles [biggrin]!

Uh.....no. It is widely known that tortoise shell is not very durable. Back in the 90s a friend found 4 old jewelry boxes at a flea market that were laminated with tortoise. We pried if off and made a bunch of picks in varied shapes.......these were the only picks I used for several years on electric and acoustic guitar. And after every gig I had to get out the emery board and cleanup the edges. They eventually become too small to continue to use.

From a review of Blue Chip picks in Vintage Guitar:
Beyond being illegal, tortoiseshell picks have other liabilities. Tortoiseshell is brittle and chips easily. Tortoise picks need constant attention to keep their edge bevels smooth so they easily go through the strings. A quarter-sized tortoise pick can end up being dime-sized in a matter of six months of steady polishing and use.

From an article on the V-Pick website:
But the biggest downfall of TS picks is that they constantly wear with every stroke on your guitar strings. Players that use them are constantly cleaning them up and filing them down to be smooth again. Therefore the picks get smaller and smaller as time goes by.

Not my imagination, nor armadillo shell. Maybe the picks you have are not tortoise after all. [biggrin]
J35 - J45 Vintage
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been.

#43 User is online   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

Nothing on earth has better tone than a thing that canít be got any more

#44 User is offline   CharmedLifePcks 

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

View PostMurph, on 29 July 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

So I got three 1.0 Primetones the other day from Sweetwater with some strings.

Is it possible the bevel is TOO sharp? They just don't "glide" across the strings when you are shredding as well as the Wegens OR the regular Ultex that are not beveled. They look like they come to too sharp of a point and I actually prefer the regular clear ones with the Rhino on them. Perhaps they will be better with some wear.

I question that they are hand beveled, I bet it's a machine.

Murph, one reason I never got into bevels is because everyone likes a different kind of bevel. There is no "standard" bevel. Almost without exception, the best players I've read about or know personally all do their own bevels -- that is, they re-bevel the bevel. So I just don't get involved.

As for Dunlop's production methods, I have doubt (about 98%) that they hand bevel or finish the Primetones in any manner. This would not fit their business model. For the amount of volume they do and their target profit margins, they need to remove all human hands from the manufacturing process. I'd bet my eye teeth the Primetone line is injection-molded.

I do expect them to jump into the "premium" pick market in the next five years or so, perhaps by acquisition. However, they'd have a huge marketing gap if they started selling $30 picks and the next closest far less than $10.00. They need a pick line selling ideally for $14.95, then you have the traditional steps of good-better-best.

My two cents,
Memmer

#45 User is offline   CharmedLifePcks 

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 29 July 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

Uh.....no. It is widely known that tortoise shell is not very durable. Back in the 90s a friend found 4 old jewelry boxes at a flea market that were laminated with tortoise. We pried if off and made a bunch of picks in varied shapes.......these were the only picks I used for several years on electric and acoustic guitar. And after every gig I had to get out the emery board and cleanup the edges. They eventually become too small to continue to use.

Beyond being illegal, tortoiseshell picks have other liabilities. Tortoiseshell is brittle and chips easily. Tortoise picks need constant attention to keep their edge bevels smooth so they easily go through the strings. A quarter-sized tortoise pick can end up being dime-sized in a matter of six months of steady polishing and use.

But the biggest downfall of TS picks is that they constantly wear with every stroke on your guitar strings. Players that use them are constantly cleaning them up and filing them down to be smooth again. Therefore the picks get smaller and smaller as time goes by.

Not my imagination, nor armadillo shell. Maybe the picks you have are not tortoise after all. [biggrin]

Buc, absolutely true. Genuine tortoise is not incredibly durable. I've been playing my old ones for forty years now. The brittleness increases as they age.

Playing for more than four decades, I was shocked a few years ago to discover how closely casein picks mimic the tone and feel of genuine TS. It's quite remarkable. Folks, if you've never played casein, you owe yourself the experience.

A good place to start is the wonderful Fast Turtle line from Jon Pearse. At less than ten bucks each, they have the look, feel and tone that casein is known for: https://www.stringsa...pefatutogu.html

sm

#46 User is online   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:46 AM

View Postcharmedlife417, on 29 July 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

Murph, one reason I never got into bevels is because everyone likes a different kind of bevel. There is no "standard" bevel. Almost without exception, the best players I've read about or know personally all do their own bevels -- that is, they re-bevel the bevel. So I just don't get involved.

As for Dunlop's production methods, I have doubt (about 98%) that they hand bevel or finish the Primetones in any manner. This would not fit their business model. For the amount of volume they do and their target profit margins, they need to remove all human hands from the manufacturing process. I'd bet my eye teeth the Primetone line is injection-molded.

I've played Orange Tortex 60's for a LONG time. You have to know, I came from an electric/rock background and actually graduated to the 60 from the Red 50 Tortex. I never considered bevels because the picks were so thin.

I acquired the (slightly beveled) Blue Chip (TD35) several years ago and it sat in a drawer because the stiffness and stickiness didn't agree with me. Now I use it some and actually like it.

Working my way up to a 1.0 now with the Wegen I noticed it's beveled, but JUST A LITTLE.

I think you're wise to not bevel your picks because like I said, the Primetones I just got are too sharp, too pointy and simply feel weird. I only got 3 so I'm not gonna sweat it. I'll give a couple to a student and tinker with the other one.

#47 User is offline   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:21 AM

Where should I send the sandpaper, Murph?
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

#48 User is offline   PrairieSchooner 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationKansas prairie

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:32 AM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 29 July 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

Maybe not; here it is in writing so it must be true [biggrin] . They came from Germany in the 1970's and a lot of people sure thought they were as we sold a barrel full of 'em back then. Maybe those particular German turtles were like most things from Germany: overbuilt, beautifully engineered, and high quality. I've never broken one, never worn one down, nor ever filed one. I did remove a couple boards on a wooden porch to get one that I dropped though the cracks once! Whatever they are, Peter Bertram of Musik Bertram in Freiburg told me they were tortoiseshell, and they feel and sound like no others I've ever played. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
And then there are the times when the wolves are silent and the moon is howling. - George Carlin

#49 User is offline   CharmedLifePcks 

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:04 PM

Prairie, hmmmm, intriguing.......

#50 User is online   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:53 AM

View Postjedzep, on 30 July 2018 - 05:21 AM, said:

Where should I send the sandpaper, Murph?

It'll take more than sandpaper to straighten me out.

Nice gesture though...

[thumbup]

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users