Gibson Brands Forums

Capo adjustment

olie

Perhaps this is overly basic but I am curious as to HOW you set up a screw-set capo. I have a Schubb and have noticed a lot of threads talking about re-tuning after applying a capo and other issues.

Do you loosen the screw before applying to the guitar and then snug it up until it's hand-tight after placing it where required? Or do you do that,remove it and tighten it a bit more to increase the pressure and then set it ready to play?

I hope this doesn't sound stupid but I wonder what is "tight enough" and what could be considered "too tight" so as to cause the strings to go sharp.

Is this over-analyzing or can anyone out there add some info on this?

Thanks for your collective experience.

I use a Shubb rather often and always get the setting where I want it before putting it on the neck. Properly adjusted, you should be able to move the thing a fret or two without readjustment. I consider too tight to be more than it takes to avoid string rattle. Once you use a Shubb for a while, it becomes kind of second nature.

Go on you tube and search for Tommy Emmanuel capo. He gives some excellent tips that I started using and it works very well. Not so much the capo as to how it’s put on the guitar.

Archived