Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton 2002 bridge replacement advice needed

Carausius

Hi, My Sheraton 2002 Samick bridge saddles have badly worn down & my guitar is starting to sound like a bad sitar!

I've read & searched for replacement bridge options, but most discussion is regarding the earlier 80's / 90's Sherry "harmonica" bridges which look different & seem to have different distances from the centre of the bridge posts.

My Sherry bridge is around 74mm approximate distance from post centres, the stopbar tailpiece is 82mm so it appears the sizes are different between the earlier Korean '00's & '80's /'90's bridges / tailpieces. I'm wondering if these sizes are closer to ABR-1 / Tuneomatic's?

So the ABR-1 post slots are 73.66mm / 73.44 apart on various brands of ABR-1's maybe these would work with M8 to ABR-1 post converters?

My link

My link

I'll attach a pic of my Sherry bridge below.

IMG_20180718_193351465

I've taken a chance on the GOTOH GE103B, 74mm post spacing with M8 bushings / mounts. If it doesn't fit I'll try some conversion posts / redrill the bushing holes!

I managed to remove the old Gold bushings without damage for the bridge & stop tailpiece using an cut down piece of old rubber hose pipe & a large washer! I've also ordered the Gotoh tailpiece to go with the Gotoh bridge, colour nickle. Waiting for the post to arrive now.

Gotoh tailpiece

So my Gotoh bridge has arrived, I've put the bushings in, but they are too loose, 0.75mm less diameter than the original Epi's! So I decided to swap back the originals instead of wrecking the guitar wood.

A bit of Brasso metal polish wadding got rid of the gold on the original bushings, very little difference between the Gotoh nickle bridge posts & the Epi bushings now. Quick tap with a mallet & scrap wood & they're fitted tight. The Gotoh bridge fits perfectly.

Still waiting for the Gotoh tailpiece though.......! [crying]

Managed to fit the Gotoh stop tailpiece, the supplied bushings were also too small to fit the epi holes by about 1mm so I cleaned off the original epi bushing gold plating with Brasso & fitted those back on instead. Strange how they fit fine with the M8 screw bolts but the bushings are different diameters? [rolleyes]

So the Gotoh bridge / Gotoh stop bridge fits the Epi's with the 74mm & 82mm spacing. You'll just need to use the original bushings & remove the gold plate if you are choosing nickle or chrome parts. Don't waste money on new bushings like I did! [cursing]

Gotoh GE103B Bridge

Gotoh GE101Z Tailpiece

Sounds much better & even looks much better. [thumbup]

Gotoh bridge / tailpiece fitted, pic, below.

I've got a P90 Leosounds in the bridge, Gibson '57 Classic neck. I had a problem with one of the pups cutting out but managed to properly solder back the pot backside wires firmly.

I don't have any washers on the underside of the pot holes, are there supposed to be tooth washers fitted to stop the pots moving?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

IMG_20180727_155255564

Archived