Gibson Brands Forums

Slide with new Schertler Mag pickup

BluesKing777

I bought a Schertler Magnico + S Mic soundhole pickup from Europe (Thomann) - none here.

Sounds great - add 50% mic, will feedback like crazy but sounds so good to me, I will wear headphones!

Here is a short track with the pickup in my 52 Gibson LG1 - slide in Open D -----pretty fierce sound! I ran it to my old, old Fishman Pro-EQ preamp for some control.

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/swamp777b

BluesKing777.

Good stuff BK, it all sounds good, but really like when you get into the lower registers right about 1:20 or so. just sounds right - right guitar, right strings, right p'up...

kind of feel i should be on a front porch, with a jug of whiskey in a rocking chair, watching the tumble weeds roll by. not much whiskey or many tumble weeds these day, guess i'll settle for front porch, cup o' coffee, watching the folks who are not on vacation going to work for the day (not explicitly called out, but J45 is in hand :).

Thanks!

Hey, I have swapped the pickup around a few guitars already...very easy to do. It would be handy to keep in the kitbag.

Some bad news - it won’t fit a couple of my guitars! (Martin OMs). Seems to fit everything else, haven’t tried or need it for the Maton - I know that has a small soundhole because I bought the soundhole plug. I guess Mr Schertler didn’t measure the Martin soundholes, eh? It would be disapponting for Martin only players to buy this pickup!

BluesKing777.

What a great sounding pickup! Is that straight into the board? How does it sound with the mic wound back to feedback friendly levels for live work?

Ace playing by the way...super funky and assured, love it!

What a great sounding pickup! Is that straight into the board? How does it sound with the mic wound back to feedback friendly levels for live work?

Ace playing by the way...super funky and assured, love it!

Thanks Jinder!

The track above is through my old Fishman Pro-EQ and direct to my mixer then. Direct to the board is great, but I like something or it 'can't be right'...

Without the Schertler S Mic on, it sounds like a reasonably nice mag pickup. [mellow]

So the great little mic is the key, some forumites on AGF say they can get 20% mic live. You can not turn off the mag - always on, but you can add mic. Schertler have a contact pickup you can plug in to the Mag instead of the mic - less feedback prone.

But I would wear in ear monitors and use more mic, or I wouldn't take it! [confused] I would keep it in my bag for emergency though. The mic is great sounding! My Fishman Rare Earth Blend also has a nice mic but the boom arm is way too long and is a nuisance.

PS. Had the Schertler Mag + Mic in my old 37 L-0 last night!!!!! Yes!!!!

Blurb:

https://www.schertler.com/en_IT/shop/pickups/m-ag6

BluesKing777.

Thanks Jinder!

The track above is through my old Fishman Pro-EQ and direct to my mixer then. Direct to the board is great, but I like something or it 'can't be right'...

Without the Schertler S Mic on, it sounds like a reasonably nice mag pickup. [mellow]

So the great little mic is the key, some forumites on AGF say they can get 20% mic live. You can not turn off the mag - always on, but you can add mic. Schertler have a contact pickup you can plug in to the Mag instead of the mic - less feedback prone.

But I would wear in ear monitors and use more mic, or I wouldn't take it! [confused] I would keep it in my bag for emergency though. The mic is great sounding! My Fishman Rare Earth Blend also has a nice mic but the boom arm is way too long and is a nuisance.

PS. Had the Schertler Mag + Mic in my old 37 L-0 last night!!!!! Yes!!!!

Blurb:

https://www.schertler.com/en_IT/shop/pickups/m-ag6

BluesKing777.

I’m very tempted. I don’t like the Element VTC in my AJ (sounds great in my J180 but sucks in the AJ!) so am looking for alternatives...I’m thinking a mag would give me some nice tonal options aside from the VTC in the J180, plus the Matrix Infinities and K&Ks I have elsewhere.

I’ve always fancied a Sunrise but all the outboard stuff they need puts me off a bit. I wonder how one would sound through my AD10?

I’m very tempted. I don’t like the Element VTC in my AJ (sounds great in my J180 but sucks in the AJ!) so am looking for alternatives...I’m thinking a mag would give me some nice tonal options aside from the VTC in the J180, plus the Matrix Infinities and K&Ks I have elsewhere.

I’ve always fancied a Sunrise but all the outboard stuff they need puts me off a bit. I wonder how one would sound through my AD10?

You know Jinder, I was thinking what happened and why and who..and the answer is dual source! For plug and play, various dual source systems have grabbed my ear and usually with an internal mic somewhere. Best on show: my Maton SRS808 with dual source Maton pickup..with mic and all controls on guitar...and 2 AA batteries that last so long I don’t remember putting them in. Another advantage of this system (see TE) - put my soundhole plug in and press go.

Next is the new Schertler mag with mic. Some claim a small amount of non feedbacking blend of mic works live. I love the sound in my track - full mag and full mic! In ears required! Can’t use a soundhole plug.

Then my Fishman REB...I love it with the blend having the mag just coming in to give it needed bottom end, but I don’t like the long arm on the mic boom. Can’t use soundhole plug.

So what could be worth trying is ...ha ha...triple source! Keep your Element, add a Schertler with mic, run both systems to a belt preamp/mix..and out......maybe easier to buy a Maton like most Australians seem to....

BluesKing777.

Archived