Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V Classic White with Large Pickguard Reissue Years?

EnterOblivion

Hello everyone,

Happy Gibson USA 2016 Explorer T Ebony player here.

I have always wanted a Gibson Flying V in Classic White with the large pickguard that goes over the bridge (see the image below). I was wondering in which years did Gibson reissue the original (I believe) 1967 and 1968 models? If this is a periodic reissue, when do you think the next reissue might be?

I am impatiently hoping that Gibson releases this model again; I would buy 2 of them immediately as they are super rare according to my findings so far.

Thank you in advance.

gibson-flying-v-classic-white-pre-owned-254536.jpg

Hello everyone,

Happy Gibson USA 2016 Explorer T Ebony player here.

I have always wanted a Gibson Flying V in Classic White with the large pickguard that goes over the bridge (see the image below). I was wondering in which years did Gibson reissue the original (I believe) 1967 and 1968 models? If this is a periodic reissue, when do you think the next reissue might be?

I am impatiently hoping that Gibson releases this model again; I would buy 2 of them immediately as they are super rare according to my findings so far.

Thank you in advance.

gibson-flying-v-classic-white-pre-owned-254536.jpg

Check out the Flying V 120 from 2014!

This is mine. It's a 2007 Faded V. Not exactly what you're looking for but I understand what you mean. I like the full pickguard better than the new half pickguards. I have replaced the missing and broken knobs since this picture was taken.

2007FadedV_zpsx5exntrf.jpg

This is mine. It's a 2007 Faded V. Not exactly what you're looking for but I understand what you mean. I like the full pickguard better than the new half pickguards. I have replaced the missing and broken knobs since this picture was taken.

2007FadedV_zpsx5exntrf.jpg

That's sexy! Love the 3 humbuckers!

Site won't let me post mine, a 2015 in Classic White.

But mine looks exactly like this one.

s-l1600.jpg

Makes me kind of hopeful for another reissue given that yours is so recent. I wonder how the 2015 classic white went by my radar and I didn't even notice.

Edit: Just discovered these were actually intended for the Japanese market and only a few made it to the Europe and America. They also have the smaller headstock that I really like! Nice!

Makes me kind of hopeful for another reissue given that yours is so recent. I wonder how the 2015 classic white went by my radar and I didn't even notice.

Edit: Just discovered these were actually intended for the Japanese market and only a few made it to the Europe and America. They also have the smaller headstock that I really like! Nice!

Yup, that's it. When I had a chance to buy it new (NOS) last year for a an unbelievably cheap price, I jumped on it. A little hesitant about the Classic '57 pups, but figured I could swap them out. Nice pups, but thought they would just be wrong in a V. But I can't believe how good they turned out to be. Classic '57s can sound so different, depending on what they are in.

Archived