Gibson Brands Forums

Howdy, Thanks for Having Me

CharmedLifePcks

Been meaning to get over here and sign up for the longest time. Not a Gibson flat top owner at this time, but I do own several Epiphone Masterbilts that are the real cat's meow, the AJ models, before Gibson went in and gutted the line.

I'm also the owner and founder of a company called Charmed Life Guitar Picks. Based in L.A., we love this industry and playing music in general.

Thanks, Folks,

Scott Memmer

Welcome, Scott.

I've been reading about your picks on other forums, I have a Blue Chip TD35 and just (today) picked up some Wegen 1.0's.

I gotta say, I'm quite impressed by them. They aren't quite a muted as the material Blue Chip (and you too, I guess) use, but I think you also have other materials.

I'll check your site and see what you have.

Again welcome, we're a smaller group but we're just as weird.

Welcome Scott.

I'm the Forum Treasurer. You can just send me your Annual Dues Payment.

Small, unmarked bills. Ok if they have a little glitter on them. Jim

Jeff, this is graft, sir. I thought this deal was free.

I'm terribly hurt (sniff), but I'll get over it.

thanks, jeff,

scott memmer

Wow...two simultaneously running flat pick threads. Likewise, Scott, I have your site in my bookmarks and have been meaning to check out your stuff.

Someone musta fixed something, since I am now able to respond to other posters. Not show why that happened.

Anyway, Jed, most forums frown on commercialization of their threads, which I always try to support, so I'll just say feel free to PM me here with any questions, or to email me directly at charmedlifepicks @ gmail. And of course others are welcome as well.

One thing I like to do is actually recommend OTHER vendors picks, which I'm well known for, as our stuff is quite pricey. It's worth trying a little better pick first than your usual before jumping in with both feet. There are some really great picks under $5.00 out there, and some truly world-class ones below $10.00. It's my job to know what's out there, and that's the way I roll.

Thanks again,

scott memmer

Welcome, Scott.

I've been reading about your picks on other forums, I have a Blue Chip TD35 and just (today) picked up some Wegen 1.0's.

I gotta say, I'm quite impressed by them. They aren't quite a muted as the material Blue Chip (and you too, I guess) use, but I think you also have other materials.

I'll check your site and see what you have.

Again welcome, we're a smaller group but we're just as weird.

Murph, thanks, finally able to respond. Please read my other posts here, so I don't repeat myself. The Wegens are really a terrific value, especially the large tris and the Bluegrassers with the holes.

BTW, folks, the reason Wegen picks rock is because they are machined out of solid stock, not injection-molded like 99% of the other picks out there. It's a more expensive process, but produces a pick that blows any injection-molded pick into the weeds, not matter the material. One look at the striations on the surface of the Wegens tell you they're machined. These kinds of materials have vastly improved mechanical properties which happen to make for a fantastic plectrum. At somewhere between $5-10 a throw, the Wegen line of picks represents some of the best value in the marketplace.

If anyone else has any questions, toss 'em my way. I'm a teacher by training, and I like teaching, not pitching.

Thanks,

Scott

Welcome to the Gibson board, Scott. Lots of great folks around here. You'll fit right in.

I have three of Scott's picks with one more on the way. I'm a big fan of his vespel/brown picks teardrop (have a teardrop clf-65mm and a triangle clt-75mm) and sold my BC triangle since it was too thick for my likes (.89mm). I love that Scott offers vespel in thinner options than BC's .89mm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he provides .60mm vespel tear drops. Vespel has a nice grippyness, which I love and glides off the strings.

I just picked up my first casein pick from him (a nf-75ss), and I'm in love! After playing it, I had to order a nt-90 as well. Grippy, smooth and warm playing with very little pick noise. It's my new favorite.

My previous go to picks were Dunlop nylons while I continued trying everything else I could get my hands on. Still use the the nylons occasionally, but my my CLP's are the go to's. I have nothing but good things to say about this product and customer service.

Hi Scott! Welcome in ☺️

A quick Q, I’ve used Dunlop Tortex .88 picks for many years-those green beasts have littered my house, car and washing machine forever!

I’m always in the market for something better but with a similar feel, though...what would you recommend?

Hi Scott! Welcome in ☺️

A quick Q, I’ve used Dunlop Tortex .88 picks for many years-those green beasts have littered my house, car and washing machine forever!

I’m always in the market for something better but with a similar feel, though...what would you recommend?

Since Scott must have missed this, I'll show you something he has you might like. I have a Blue Chip TD35, which is made from the same material, and it's a tad stiffer than the Tortex material of the same thickness so I would guess this...

https://www.charmedlifepicks.com/product-page/clfs-75

would feel a lot like your green .88.

I wouldn't worry about losing it, I have had my Blue Chip for years. It's like a cell phone, once you pay that much for a pick you naturally start taking better care of them.

Since Scott must have missed this, I'll show you something he has you might like. I have a Blue Chip TD35, which is made from the same material, and it's a tad stiffer than the Tortex material of the same thickness so I would guess this...

https://www.charmedlifepicks.com/product-page/clfs-75

would feel a lot like your green .88.

I wouldn't worry about losing it, I have had my Blue Chip for years. It's like a cell phone, once you pay that much for a pick you naturally start taking better care of them.

Scott can answer more definitively than I, but I think Murph is on the right track. The brown/vespel picks are excellent and you get used to keeping track of them. I keep mine in a pick pouch to try and minimize loss. Scott makes the Vespel teardrops from .60mm and up, so you can really choose your thickness.

He also has it in a 1.0.

My Blue Chip TD35 would actually be almost exactly .88 I think.

You're right. TD35 = .89mm

On a side note, if you have questions for Scott, the best way to reach him is charmedlifepicks @ gmail.com. He is very quick to reply and a wealth of information when it comes to picks.

Folks, my apologies for my tardiness for getting back to all of you. I'm really blown away by the friendliness of this forum, especially for all of you who have welcomed me so warmly. It is much appreciated.

Gumbino and I know one another pretty well for another forum. Indeed, he's correct in suggesting you contact me directly vs posts here or PMs. My direct email is charmedlifepicks @ gmail. Here are some other reasons:

1) I am so crazy busy that I often go days without being on any of the guitar forums of which I'm a member

2) Due to the crazinessm, I also often miss notifications of new posts

3) Most importantly, I'm here for general sharing and providing information about the pick world, not to pitch CLP or any other brand. This is against guidelines on all the best guitar forums on the web, and I work hard to adhere to that, although I muck it up sometimes because I'm such an ethusiast about picks and have been for forty years.

With the exception of strings, I've been an accessory junkie my entire playing life. And one other thing: I'm a college English professor. Thus I prefer to educate folks and let them make their own decisions. Because of my background in academic research, it's likely I know as much, or more, about high-end pick materials than anyone in the industry. This is because I LOVE research. I spent two years in full research mode before opening my doors. Because of this -- as many people will tell you from the other forums I inhabit -- I am just as likely to recommend someone else's products as my own. I really don't care. I want people to get the best pick for their playing and enjoyment. It all works out in the wash.

sm

To answer the other questions here:

Jinder: I believe someone else already made a recommendation here, but they're correct in that one of the brown picks at .75 mm would be very similar in feel to your .88 mm Tortex. Tha brown stuff is much intense than the Tortex material (or almost anything else out there, for that matter). You don't say teardrop or large triangle, but the tri of that same material at .75 mm will add even more flex, as the stresses across the "field" (face) of the pick are spread over a much wider area (square millimeters). Hope this helps. Feel free to drop me a line.

Murph: Yes, a Blue Chip TD-35 is right between about .88-.89 mm (as machinists first, BC uses English measurements for their model numbers instead of metric). A great way to remember the conversion rate is one millimeter equals almost exactly .040". Then you can do the math in your head.

Great Gumbino: Just to say, we do have a brown .60 mm, but it is not up on the site. Long story. We have other stuff not on the site as well, but on the shelf. Always ask. (Hope this is not too "sales-y.")

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome. Gotta scoot, but will check in later.

be well,

scott memmer

Archived