Gibson Brands Forums

Proud Epi Masterbilt owner

Just a post the state that I'm a huge fan of the older AJ Epi MASTERBILT models. Best bang for the buck used guitar I've found for under #500.00.

Welcome to the boards! I gotta agree. One of my first acoustics (in the new era) was an EF500MNS Masterbilt. They're exceptionally well built and sound great. I had the AJ500RC, which is the rosewood-backed cedar-topped model; also a rare maple backed EF model, and the abalone-ringed EF500RAVS, the last one I just recently parted with to fund more acquisitions. I can understand your fandom!

I found a great deal on an AJ 500R in sunburst. It even had the original case. I love it !

Mel

I've owned a Masterbilt AJ500M for a few years now (bought new, with HSC, natural finish) and have no need to look for another acoustic.

Welcome to the boards! I gotta agree. One of my first acoustics (in the new era) was an EF500MNS Masterbilt. They're exceptionally well built and sound great. I had the AJ500RC, which is the rosewood-backed cedar-topped model; also a rare maple backed EF model, and the abalone-ringed EF500RAVS, the last one I just recently parted with to fund more acquisitions. I can understand your fandom!

Cougar, yeah, they're great. I'm actually selling an EF-500 right now. Through my business I've established a relationship with Eastman Guitars, and I get to try out some of their blems and b-stocks. Just amazing guitars. I will, however, be keeping three other AJ-500Ms. They're just wonderful.

Thanks for your post.

scott

I found a great deal on an AJ 500R in sunburst. It even had the original case. I love it !

Mel

Mel, is that the big, black factory case with Epiphone Masterbilt stitched on the outer pocket? I have TWO of those cases and they're also fantastic.

Nice to hear from you.

scott

I agree, the first few years were the best. I just added an AJ-500RNS with original case. My other two have regular hsc.

These are just fantastic guitars. I play them more than my Martin. I enjoy playing them more frequently.

The new Century Series disappointed me. They felt light and cheap. I returned my Deluxe because I could not bond with it. Plus the laminate backs and sides did not impress. The Loar 700 is solid flame maple for an additional $500.

I agree.

My AJ45ME has been fantastic. It just keeps improving.

Every Masterbilt I have seen has been great.

I don't know what the "early" ones where like, but mine is a 2017 model and I couldn't ask for better.

My Martin and Taylor have not been out of the case yet this year.

I can't ever see selling this guitar, my kids or grand kids will one day have it.

Mel, is that the big, black factory case with Epiphone Masterbilt stitched on the outer pocket? I have TWO of those cases and they're also fantastic.

Nice to hear from you.

scott

Yes! I also have the case for the EF series that came with a guitar I bought.

Mel

Every Masterbilt I have seen has been great.

I don't know what the "early" ones where like, but mine is a 2017 model and I couldn't ask for better.

Not sure, but he may have meant the 2004-2010 production run. I've had several of those. They're non-cutaways. As you say, every one was excellent.

Not sure, but he may have meant the 2004-2010 production run. I've had several of those. They're non-cutaways. As you say, every one was excellent.

Cougar, yes to my knowledge those are the pick of the litter, esp the round-shouldered models. Just amazing all-solid wood guitars for the money, especially used for $400 or so.

Funny story. I have a lot of guitars, so I'm frequently at my luthier's here in Los Angeles. A couple months ago he was talking with a customer at the counter about good used dreadnoughts under $500. Knowing nothing about my preferences (he hasn't worked on any of my Epis), he says to the guy, "The best thing out there used is to pick up a clean Epiphone Masterbilt. Those are sweet guitars."

Here's a guy who works on hundreds of guitars every year, and in thirty years has seen the insides of thousands. This said a lot. I just nodded knowingly.

scott memmer

Yes that is exactly what I was referring to...the non-cutaways with the original Masterbilt cases.

Archived