Gibson Brands Forums

A little info wanted

Dantastic

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about this guitar I just bought about 3 months ago.It Looks and feels like a standard SJ-200 . The info I have is its a 2008 Gibson Montana SJ-200 LITE Custom Shop Number 02748032. Sunburst .I am wondering what the Lite is referring to.I paid $3,600 for it I have no regrets.I bought it on line from the Music Zoo in New York.

What is written on the soundhole label? I just spoke with Gibson Customer Service- they are not showing any info on the model either, but are checking with Gibson Acoustic in Bozeman, and will be getting back with me in a little bit. Stay tuned…

Looks like an SJ alright. Specs say it weighs 5 lbs 1 oz. Don't know if that's lighter than usual or not.....

Most newer J-200s appear to weigh in the 5 lb and 2 or 3 oz or so arena. Not featherweights.

I actually find this thread kind of funny as it appears even Gibson Customer Service cannot keep track of model designations.

Dan said in the O P that he bought the guitar 3 months ago, but was only looking for more info now. Hopefully he'll check back and tell us what is written on the soundhole. The serial # was provided when I spoke w/ Gibson Customer Service earlier, but hours later I received an email asking for that serial again, so things hit a bit of a speed bump. Soundhole labels are always a great source of info on some of the more obscure builds from Bozeman

Remember this one? An employee build, or . . . ? :

KOwSGgt.png?1

The Lite is probably nothing - but the shop owe us an explanation.

Imagine different Gibsons suddenly being called a little extra :

Hummingbird Cream

Songwriter Deluxe Strong

J-45 Tight

Dove Straight

Advanced Jumbo Bold

Hehe heh, , , not the way to go. .

Apart from that there is a material called richlite, which is seen here and there in certain guitars. Especially for fret-boards, maybe bridges (if I'm not totally lost).

Don't think Gibson ever used it. https://www.richlite...at-is-richlite/

Intriguing J-200 by the way, , , they could have after-named it a Super Jumbo Nice. .

Hey Em, Gibson does use Richlite. You will find it is used in some of the Gibson electrics. If I'm not mistaking, some of the LP Customs have richlite. (I could be oof in this quote, but I do seem to recall this being part of the specs of some of the LP Customs.)

it's a composite, and it would be one of the alternatives to Ebony or Rosewood.

There is a Les Paul LITE. In this case though the guitar is chambered a bit differently and thinner so the LITE thing makes sense.

In the end though, after you make a purchase is not the time to be asking these kinds of questions. I agree with an above post is Music Zoo is where I would start. They sold the darn thing.

What is written on the soundhole label? I just spoke with Gibson Customer Service- they are not showing any info on the model either, but are checking with Gibson Acoustic in Bozeman, and will be getting back with me in a little bit. Stay tuned…

Thank you I was getting nowhere with my search the label is red The Label says Style SJ-200 LITE the next line is Number 02748032 Custom Shop Gibson Acoustic Boseman, Montana USA.And there is a Custom Shop stamp on the back of the neck.

Hey Em, Gibson does use Richlite. You will find it is used in some of the Gibson electrics. If I'm not mistaking, some of the LP Customs have richlite. (I could be oof in this quote, but I do seem to recall this being part of the specs of some of the LP Customs.)

it's a composite, and it would be one of the alternatives to Ebony or Rosewood.

The specs that I have say Rosewood it is rose wood for sure . Good guess.

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/gibson-montana-sj-200-lite-acoustic-electric-sunburst

I don’t see anything lite about it. Looks great. Enjoy.

Yes that's it ! The first 2 songs I played on it was Blackbird by the Beatles and then I played Pinball wizard by the Who .And I knew I was going to keep it ,Its a great feeling when you play your guitar and your thinking that sounds like the record.Did I say record lol.

Dan said in the O P that he bought the guitar 3 months ago, but was only looking for more info now. Hopefully he'll check back and tell us what is written on the soundhole. The serial # was provided when I spoke w/ Gibson Customer Service earlier, but hours later I received an email asking for that serial again, so things hit a bit of a speed bump. Soundhole labels are always a great source of info on some of the more obscure builds from Bozeman

Remember this one? An employee build, or . . . ? :

KOwSGgt.png?1

Thank you I was getting nowhere with my search the label is red The Label says Style SJ-200 LITE the next line is Number 02748032 Custom Shop Gibson Acoustic Boseman, Montana USA.And there is a Custom Shop stamp on the back of the neck.

Most newer J-200s appear to weigh in the 5 lb and 2 or 3 oz or so arena. Not featherweights.

I actually find this thread kind of funny as it appears even Gibson Customer Service cannot keep track of model designations.

Yes its odd that they lost track of certain models .

After two separate calls made to Gibson Customer a few days ago, one reply was received:

"After looking extensively, we cannot find any specs that differentiate it from a regular SJ-200"

Looks like that part is up to you.

mZz412a.png

Archived