Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Custom?

deltapapatango

https://reverb.com/item/13025979-gibson-custom-shop-limited-run-les-paul-custom-vintage-silverburst-2016-free-shipping

I dont see this model when looking at Gibson Custom website. Looking at location of seller I am cautious that it's a fake Gibson.

Interested in the guitar as this is my favorite color. Yup dark green faded Silverburst. Kind of like Frankenstein has taken over.

Thoughts?

It says its a SB but it looks gold to me.

I wonder how accurate the colour balance of the pictures is?

It's trying to replicate what the SilverBurst finishes sprayed back in the '70s look like today. The appearance of the finish in many of the originals has aged - very possibly due to the effect of the Nitro ageing. Some have ambered towards a more Tobacco Sunburst look (the 'gold' appearance you mention) whilst others, as mimicked here, have gone slightly greenish. The majority of those I've seen have been at the 'warmer' end of the spectrum but, then again, I've not seen too many TBH.

Pip.

It's trying to replicate what the SilverBurst finishes sprayed back in the '70s look like today. The appearance of the finish in many of the originals has aged - very possibly due to the effect of the Nitro ageing. Some have ambered towards a more Tobacco Sunburst look (the 'gold' appearance you mention) whilst others, as mimicked here, have gone slightly greenish. The majority of those I've seen have been at the 'warmer' end of the spectrum but, then again, I've not seen too many TBH.

Pip.

I had a feeling they were tying to make it look like it had aged. The thing about GT's is that green it gets with time I do not like one bit. I did see Kirk play the Peter Green & Gary Moore LP at a 'Tallica show in Seattle last summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Pip.

'scuse me now while I go buy a pack of Camel Extra Super Tar or two. Got this strange urge....

...Got this strange urge....

Good Grief! Me Too...

No offence to those who have a penchant for the SilverBurst finish but I've never been a fan. Aged SilverBurst isn't exactly an improvement.

The good news, however, is that there's unlikely to be a bidding war any time in the future between DeltaPapaTango and myself for one of these, erm, rarities.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

• 3 weeks later...

...I did see Kirk play the Peter Green & Gary Moore LP at a 'Tallica show in Seattle last summer.

Interesting enough, I was killing time before Alice Cooper concert in another town at a guitar store. Some dude brings in a Peter Green/Gary Moore VOS for consignment a long with other LP's. Great looking guitar. That hole they drill into it bothers me though. I asked to handle it and they said yeah. I held it and looked at it and was told still has original strings and was never plugged in at all.

Wanted 9.5 G. I passed.

post-93432-004692400 1535126207_thumb.jpg

Archived