Gibson Brands Forums

(another) "is this 335 legit?" thread

hessodreamy

This 335 is up for sale locally at the moment and is going for a steal, apparently because of lots of refinishing and fitting bigsbys and refilling holes. It looks shite, but I feel 335s are normally to posh for the gigs I play and the idea of a visually impaired one seems kinda cool.

Obviously I'd have to inspect its playability, but at the very least does it look genuine? Is it even possible to tell in this state?

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

It's almost certainly real. Not much doubt at all.

I'd happily accept it as an on-going project if it was free. But to pay good money for that thing?......

msp_blink.gif

Pip.

EDIT : Hang on a mo'. I'm talking nonsense. As You Were, Gentlemen.

Having given the snaps one more perusal that looks like nothing more than a REALLY badly resprayed (Pelham Blue perhaps? There are many colours in there!) Custom Shop 335. If the black paint is - as it appears it might be - simply stripping-off with nothing so serious as gaffer tape (duct-tape in the USA?) applied-and-then-pulled-off then all might not be a total loss. Bridge, tailpice, p'ups (yadda...yadda...yadda...) but if it is SERIOUSLY cheap then whyever not?

Apparently between this guy and another owner it's been stripped back, painted white, then stripped back, Pelham blue, then painted black with gloss on a paintbrush! I can live with the crappy finish as long as it's a player.

He's asking £800 gbp (1050 usd) which is probably a bit high. Maybe more like £600.

I can get a 335 studio for about 900 but I'd probably be wanting to chamge the pickups anyway, so the lack of hardware doesn't really bother me.

Like to see the Serial #, that would be a big help. If it is a 'REAL' one it needs $800 ,easily, to get it up and running...so paying $$$ for it really depends on what it is. If its an early '60's Traditional, when they still had Dot In-Lays, its a hidden treasure, if its a run of the mill 2000's ES-335 Studio then paying $$$ for its is ??????? So, any cracks in the body? is the neck warping ? Frets sitting properly ? A lot to consider, but it may be a good project to get through to the end of the summer, yes?

If it is 'LEGIT', it may be a fun project to get it back rippin' and tearin' speed again !

Archived