Gibson Brands Forums

Which pots for replacement on Epi LP Std.

wildkat1

Looking for advice and info on which brand, etc. of potentiometer to buy for a neck volume pot replacement on a 2001 Epi LP Std.??? I can't get sound from my neck pup and have replaced the 3 way toggle and checked the pup on a multimeter ( which was desoldered and gave a reading of 8.64k)….any info is appreciated as I have never done this type of work before on pots.

Bourne or CTS are always a good choice.

you may need to be sure of the existing shaft dimensions if you plan to use the same knob,

Epi and Gibson are both different sizes, not usually interchangeable. or at least that's how it USED to be.

Bourne or CTS are always a good choice.

you may need to be sure of the existing shaft dimensions if you plan to use the same knob,

Epi and Gibson are both different sizes, not usually interchangeable. or at least that's how it USED to be.

Thanks Kidblast….wasn't sure I fully understood the shaft issue but now do and don't know if I have to route out or drill a bigger opening for the shaft, etc??!!

If you use CTS or Bourne potentiometers you will need to open up the hole a bit. DO NOT use a drill bit! Get a reamer and go slow if you don't want to damage the finish.

Alpha pots don't get the respect that the CTS & Bournes do but they may be almost as good. But the shaft size is correct for an EPI so no need to ream hole.

Chinese/Asian made guitars use a different measurement system than those in the USA and hence the difference in sizing when you upgrade an Epi to USA made components. I know you asked only about pots, but you may want to consider upgrading all of the electronics while you are at it. I upgraded my Epi Riviera with a kit from ToneShapers.com that included CTS pots, Orange caps, Switchcraft toggle switch, Switchcraft output jack and premium wiring. I also purchased the toggle switch cap and tone/volume knobs from there to fit the USA made components. There are other sellers of wiring kits out there that I am sure are also great, but I was please with these guys on price and service as someone there named George was very patient with me in explaining what I needed and how it differed from the stock components on my guitar. I was very happy with the result for a number of reasons.

http://www.toneshapers.com/wiring-products/toneshaper-classic-wiring-kits/les-paul/lp-standard.html#.W1jqazGWyUl

Archived