Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop Les Paul/SG Custom '61

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and wonder if you'd be able to help please.

There are currently two Custom Shop Les Paul/SG 61 Custom reissues for sale in the UK and I'm interested in buying one of them. They both have 6 digit serial numbers. I was under the impression that the first two digits represent the year of manufacture but I could be completely wrong.

The serial number for one is 023161. This is advertised as a 2006 guitar.

The serial number for the second is 010751. This is advertised as a 2010 guitar.

Would you be able to confirm when they were made please and that they are both white Les Paul/SG Custom 61 reissues.

If you have any advice on what other checks should be made before buying an expensive second hand guitar online it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hmmm......

http://www.gibson.co...er-Search.aspx/

According to Gibson's own information the first two digits (as seen in the link above) should be, as you say, the year of manufacture so those should be a 2002 and a 2001.

The last digit denotes the type of LP/SG being made and a 1 means either a Custom or a Special so that would tie-in.

As the first LP/SG Customs were invariably white it would certainly be an appropriate finish for a reissue. You could always chance your luck by sending a query to Gibson Customer Support to ascertain whether they would be prepared to confirm the serial numbers match the instruments.

Pip.

Archived