Gibson Brands Forums

Banner LG-2?

rdnzl

I saw this today on a local online sale.

Could it be an original Banner Model?

Serial number is 2543-34

Someone is selling it for $250 and they think it's just a guitar.

See pics....

post-788-082310300 1532563239_thumb.jpg

post-788-049496900 1532563251_thumb.jpg

I don't want any more guitars at the moment. It's a local listing I saw yesterday. I asked the seller why so cheap, and she thought it was just some old guitar, and $250 would be a good starting point, and then she's settle for less. We have communicated back and forth since last night, and I told her to take it to a good luthier, get it checked out, and verified for what I am pretty sure it is. The serial number falls directly between numbers on the registry. I believe it is from 1943 or 44, and is a genuine Banner LG-2. Hopefully she will relist it at a more non insane price. Yeah, yeah, I know.....I should have bought it for $250 and never looked back. Sorry, that just isn't me.

I don't want any more guitars at the moment. It's a local listing I saw yesterday. I asked the seller why so cheap, and she thought it was just some old guitar, and $250 would be a good starting point, and then she's settle for less. We have communicated back and forth since last night, and I told her to take it to a good luthier, get it checked out, and verified for what I am pretty sure it is. The serial number falls directly between numbers on the registry. I believe it is from 1943 or 44, and is a genuine Banner LG-2. Hopefully she will relist it at a more non insane price. Yeah, yeah, I know.....I should have bought it for $250 and never looked back. Sorry, that just isn't me.

That's an honerable move right there. Hopefully that good deed gets you some good karma in the bank. Well done. Hopefully she appreciated your honesty too.

All I want is to find out what it's worth and have her either decide to keep it, or get what it's worth. I wish she was closer so I could go look at it.

Maybe I'm a sap. I know there are many people who would have grabbed it at $250 and posted it for sale the next day for WAY more money. But I'm retired. I have enough guitars, and I'm fairly well off. No need to take advantage of anyone.

You did the decent thing man. I for one applaud you for it. =D>

You did the decent thing man. I for one applaud you for it. =D>

She sent me a message thanking me, and telling me that she is going to keep it. A good decision, I think. It's value will certainly not go down, and it's probably a delight to hear and play.

WOW, I'd like to hear it with some fresh strings on it.

The old addage: "NO GOOD DEED GOES UN-PUNISHED" comes to mind.

If you gave her what she wanted for the Guitar she would probably be happy to be rid of it.

I am all for being stand up & honourable, and the $250 may have been enough even if you told the Lady what it is, and what it MIGHT be worth. I know some people that just do not want to be bothered and some do not even need the $$$ and just want to be rid of things like this. Some things just mean nothing to some people.

Personally, I am waiting for that Estate sale I walk into and there is sitting a '58 EXPLORER of '59 LES PAUL STANDARD and Great-Grandpa just wants to get rid of that 'thing' that gave him such a head-ache for all those years...YES SIR !!! I can hear me saying : "LET ME TAKE THAT OFF YOUR HANDS THERE SIR"......and "Here's and extra $20...".....cause I'm such a great guy, LOL !

I would have bought it and kept it. Don’t care about resale

She contacted me and thanked me, and said she is going to keep it.

Good. Better that than one of the pawn shops around here snatching it up.

Archived