Gibson Brands Forums: bridge question - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bridge question

#1 User is offline   tlsmith 

• Group: All Access

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:52 AM

I recently purchased a 2016 Gibson les paul swamp ash guitar which I dearly love. I installed a Bixby B7 vibrato. My question is, I wish to install a roller bridge to replace the existing bridge. Is there a bridge made that fits over the existing small posts without having to remove the posts? If so, what company makes them.

#2 User is offline   Wild Bill 212 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationN E USA/S E ASIA

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:31 PM

The 'GOLDEN EAGLE' Roller-Bridge is available on Stew-Mac dot com for about $35, and it is a direct 'POP ON' with no hassles, just fits right on the Posts that come with it (If I remember correctly, you will have to swap out the Bridge Posts and Two Bridge Posts come with the Roller-Bridge and they fit right into the insert that is in the Guitar body, so its no biggie). If you wait Stew-Mac usually marks them down 15%, enough to Knock Off the cost of the shipping expense !

I did the exact same thing that you are doing with the B7, but just on a 2016 LP Studio Faded.....I ended up taking the Roller-Bridge off, for a variety of reasons. The biggest one being it did not hold tune any better than the regular Tune-O-Matic and I would rather keep the Guitar STOCK, even though no holes were drilled and no mods needed to be made etc......I still took the Roller-Bridge off..... Now, $35 is not a lot of $$$ for a bridge and the Golden Eagle is a sturdy and well made little gadget. One thing I did not like was that the thumbwheels are the only way to adjust the string height unlike the T-O-M that you can just use an Allen-Key on, the 'G-E' has a closed top where the Allen-Key on the T-O-M would go. Of course, you may very well like the 'Golen-Age' Roller-Bridge.........the reviews on Stew-Mac are all pretty glowing.

I know you did not ask, but just a heads up from someone who has gone down this exact same road, I found the Les Trem II is a better all around Tremolo system for GIBSON USA models w/T-O-M's and ABR's, and they are not as expensive by about 45%. I sold the '16 Les Paul Studio Faded but I kept the Bigsby B7 and put it on a Les Paul STANDARD, no Roller-Bridge, and it works just fine. But between the two Tremolo's? For me the Les Trem II is the better tremolo....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users