Gibson Brands Forums

Offered to buy back a J45 I sold about 2 years ago...

sbpark

About two years ago I did a MASSIVE thinning of the herd. I had a lot of guitars and gear, and basically sold everything except for two acoustics (AJ, D-35) and two electrics (SG, Tele). I wanted to finally be rid of student loan and credit card debt. Fast forward to the present day and I paid off a total of $57k in debt. I'm currently student loan and credit card debt free, have excellent credit, and now I can sleep at night and it feels great. My only significant bills are rent and a car payment, and I've been trying to save for a downpayment for a house.

A couple days ago I had a super nice guy who bought my 2017 J45 Standard (I bought it in 2016 when they first released them) asking me if I was interested in buying the guitar back for the same price I sold it to him (I had mentioned to him to ask me first if he ever decided to sell it). It was a great guitar, but a little bit of an impulse purchase at the time, and as previously mentioned I had decided to buckle down and thin the herd to crush the debt. But recently I've been wanting a mahogany guitar, and would also be nice to have something with lighter gauge strings on it, shorter scale, etc. (I have 13's on both the D-35 and AJ, and use the AJ for fiddle tunes and flatpicking mostly, and the D-35 for everything, but it just sounds so much better with 13's). I've always preferred 12's on J45's.

I have the cash for the J45, and like I mentioned, it would be nice to have a mahogany guitar given my AJ and D-35 are both rosewood, and something shorter scale with lighter strings would be a nice change, too.

I know you all are enablers, and this may be a lost cause asking on a forum, but what would you guys do in my situation? Buy back the J45 or just suck it up and make due with the two acoustics I have now and ignore the GAS?

About two years ago I did a MASSIVE thinning of the herd. I had a lot fo guitars and gear and basically sold everything except for two acoustic (AJ, D-35) and two electrics (SG, Tele). I wanted to finally be rid of student loan and credit card debt. Fast forward to the present day and I paid off a total of $57k in debt, mostly student loans. I'm currently student loan and credit card debt free, excellent credit, and now I can sleep at night and it feels great. My only significant bills are rent and a car payment, and I've been trying to save for a downpayment for a house.

A couple days ago I had a guy who bought my 2017 J45 Standard (I bought it in 2016 when they first released them) asking me if I was interested in buying the guitar back from him for the same price I paid which is a little under what they are currently going for in the used market (I had mentioned to him to ask me first if he ever decided to sell it). It was a great guitar, but a little bit of an impulse purchase at the time, and as previously mentioned decided to buckle down and thin the herd. But recently I've been wanting a mahogany guitar, and would also be nice to have something with lighter gauge strings on it (I have 13's on both the D-35 and AJ, and use the AJ for fiddle tunes and flatpicking mostly, and the D-35 for everything, but it just sounds so much better with 13's). I've always preferred 12's on J45's.

I have the cash now for the guitar, and like I mentioned, it would be nice to have a mahogany guitar given my AJ and D-35 are both rosewood, and something shorter scale with lighter strings would be a nice change, too.

I know you all are enablers, and this may be a lost cause asking on a forum, but what would you guys do in my situation? Buy back the J45 or just suck it up and make due with the two acoustics I have now and ignore the GAS?

You have come to the wrong place for a "No". :) Seriously, you already like the tone of the guitar (unless your buyer has mistreated it) and you seem to have a good handle on your finances. So, I say buy it!

You have come to the wrong place for a "No". :) Seriously, you already like the tone of the guitar (unless your buyer has mistreated it) and you seem to have a good handle on your finances. So, I say buy it!

He said it's in the same condition as when I sold it to him, only a year older. He's not much of a player these days and said he's playing more electric over acoustic. Tentatively meeting him tomorrow to check it out.

I have sold guitars with the understanding that if it should ever leave the new owners hands I will have first dibs on it. In the past 15 or so years I have purchased two guitars back - an Oahu Tonemaster lap steel and a 1953 Epi Triumph Regent. In the latter case the owner was planning to cannibalize the guitar of its original parts to sell and then outfit the carcass with repro parts and keep it. I had spent months putting my blood (literally), sweat and tears into fixing that guitar up and the thought of it being stripped butt naked just bothered the heck out of me. So I offered to buy the guitar back - even paying him $100 more than I had sold it to him for.

OK... I'll play the "bad cop" role. ;)

Congratulations on getting out of debt and being responsible. That's a big accomplishment and you should be proud. Now prove that you can have the same kind of discipline with guitars. Resist the impulse and pay off your car or save for the house that you want. "It would be nice" to have another guitar, but you know you really don't need it. If you really needed it, and if you really had the disposable income, you wouldn't have to post this here. You'd just buy it. Geez... does it really "take a village" to decide to buy a guitar?

Hey - it's your money and you can do whatever you like. But this sounds like a recovering alcoholic who "thinks it would be nice" to have just one little drink after two years "on the wagon".

Hey - it's your money and you can do whatever you like. But this sounds like a recovering alcoholic who "thinks it would be nice" to have just one little drink after two years "on the wagon".

Ha! I like that analogy!

1532752108[/url]' post='1947720']

Whenever I have the urge to buy another guitar I don't really "need", I just ask myself, What would Sal do?

I’d buy the guitar. And then I’d buy it twice to make sure I effing bought the first time....

“But sir... you just bought and paid for this from me...”

“Mind your business... write up the sale cappy...”

Congratulations on getting out of debt and being responsible. That's a big accomplishment and you should be proud. Now prove that you can have the same kind of discipline with guitars. Resist the impulse and pay off your car or save for the house that you want. "It would be nice" to have another guitar, but you know you really don't need it. If you really needed it, and if you really had the disposable income, you wouldn't have to post this here. You'd just buy it. Geez... does it really "take a village" to decide to buy a guitar?

I'm going to have to agree with this.

I did the "debt free" thing well over a decade ago. House, property, cabin, gear, etc.

It frees your soul.

Pay off a house and then start a guitar collection.

1532773384[/url]' post='1947735']

I wonder what Sal's record really is....?

What I own? Do include my boys?

This is me now.

Bird TVJ50J45D18D15Farida OT22Reverend Double Agent electric guitar

At worst, I was perhaps double that. Id sell the Farida, and the Reverend, but they don't fetch enough to be worth it.

I hate to tell anyone not to buy a guitar, but I have to agree with Buc, Stu and Murph here. You climbed one heck of a mountain to become debt free, and you have your “A-Team” guitars...if the J45 was a rare, limited edition or vintage guitar, I would waver, but a modern J45 (whilst a wonderful instrument) is easily sourced as either a new or secondhand guitar. I’d leave it in the wind, personally.

I’ve had a similar journey with debt-a few years ago I was financially rinsed by my ex wife and left with a joint account 10k in the red, over 20k of credit card debt and other sundries. I was down to one acoustic and one electric, just enough to go to work with gigs and session stuff. It was a heartbreaking process to get rid of all my beloved gear that had been on so many of my records and had been on the road with me for years...I know exactly how you felt!

Since then I’ve stabilised things, got back on my feet and have managed to rebuild my guitar arsenal...not quite to the extent that it was before, but I have some lovely instruments and can cover most bases. Most importantly, most of the debt is now gone and what little is left is being paid off in a controlled and regular way. Solvency rocks!

I’m sure you’ll follow your heart and do the right thing for you, whichever that is.

GAS isnt a good reason to buy, buying one you sold prior is perhaps redundant and, perhaps a different guitar would be more exciting -buy your wife a git YOU really like and your a double winner....j

Archived