Gibson Brands Forums: Roller Bridges... Show me what you are using... - Gibson Brands Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Roller Bridges... Show me what you are using... or other cool bridges...

#61 User is offline   LongMan 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 31 March 2019 - 05:27 PM, said:

So basically the hardest part was modifying the Blueshawk bridge (same as the Nighthawk bridge) to be able to pass the strings through to a B5 style tremolo.. Drilling the bridge plate was very tedious, as the new holes had to be very close under the old ones. Also the Vari-Tone switch head had to be modified as it came too close to the tremolo dive arm..

It is all working very good so far, I am very pleased with how it came out....[thumbup]

No roller bridge needed, not too much angle going over the bridge..

Great job! The guitar looks awesome!

#62 User is offline   LongMan 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:26 PM

And while we are on the topic: Here's my 2010 Riviera Ltd with Bigsby B7 and Duesenberg roller bridge:

Posted Image

(It also has Grover Super Rotomatics, Gretsch Filtertron HS, 335 style pickguard, new harness and witchhead knobs. And yes, I actually have a couple of completely unmodified Epiphones [flapper] )

#63 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Salvation A La Mode and a LP DC
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:52 PM

View PostLongMan, on 03 April 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

And while we are on the topic: Here's my 2010 Riviera Ltd with Bigsby B7 and Duesenberg roller bridge:

(It also has Grover Super Rotomatics, Gretsch Filtertron HS, 335 style pickguard, new harness and witchhead knobs. And yes, I actually have a couple of completely unmodified Epiphones [flapper] )

Very nice job on your Riviera. You definitely have some very cool rides in your stable... [thumbup]

My first whammy bar experiment was on my Explorer, then came my 55 LP Std Pro, with its C profile neck turned out to be a very stable platform for a tremolo and because of its sculpted top the widest range tremolo action. Then I acquired a cherry G400 added humbucker sized P90's a roller bridge and a Les Trem II, this is where my trouble started because it worked so well it became my guitar of choice, also the stock black plastic nut works the best for equalizing string pressure. My white 61 SG got jealous and found a Stetsbar designed to use just the 2 studs of a wraparound bridge. My favorite guitar the Epi Blueshawk had way too much dust on it , so I had to find a cure.

Anyway 3 Les Trem's, 1 Stetsbar and 1 Duesenberg Tremola Short, later... The Duesenberg Les Trem II's were the easiest to install, quality built, non destructive, cost effective and most important of all best reaction range. With the bar set in max dive position it will make contact with the body before the spring is fully compressed getting about a full octave down.

The Stetsbar is amazing, smooth as glass, bridge moves with the tremolo, lots of versatile adjustments but also the most expensive. In the cost range of an FRX. Note there is a signature Britt Lightning Epiphone SG with an FRX coming soon..

Posted Image
My black 50th Ann Ltd Ed 61 SG Special is still all original and in pristine condition...

Posted Image
Note the Bigsby B5 would have worked about the same for the Blueshawk/Nighthawk as the Duesenberg Tremola Short..
My Epi Blueshawk is once again my most versatile all around Guitar and with a 25.5" scale neck..[thumbup]

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 04 April 2019 - 03:27 PM

P-90's Rule.. Posted ImagePosted Image . But not for everyone...

#64 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

Mihcmac,

Are you in the US? Where can you get those Duesenberg Tremolas in the US? Whenever I google them, I only see them available in Europe or something.

#65 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

And is a Stetsbar a direct drop-in fit for an Epiphone wraparound bridge, like the wraparound bridges on Epi Special Is?

#66 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:55 PM

View Postepistrat, on 13 April 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

Mihcmac,

Are you in the US? Where can you get those Duesenberg Tremolas in the US? Whenever I google them, I only see them available in Europe or something.

View Postepistrat, on 13 April 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

And is a Stetsbar a direct drop-in fit for an Epiphone wraparound bridge, like the wraparound bridges on Epi Special Is?

I live in Hawaii, all of my Duesenbergs came from Europe. I got one through Reverb that actually came from Rockinger Gutars in Germany, but most I bought on ebay, 2 of which came from a store in France, I went with best price and shipping.. Shipping was very quick, in most cases about a week..

Stetsbar is the only manufacturer I have found of a tremolo for direct replacement of a wraparound bridge... Kind of pricy though.. In the FRX range...

Stestbar site......

Posted Image

One of the mods I have seen a lot on old Gibson Juniors and Specials with a wraparound bridge, is to add a hardtail tremolo still using the old bridge drawing the strings over the top going to the tremolo.

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 13 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

#67 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:38 PM

New patented Xtrem tremolos at GuitarFetish.....

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
GuitarFetish also has a wide range of Bridges, Roller Bridges and Bridge Hardware..

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 14 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

#68 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:31 AM

Thanks for the replies, mihcmac, I appreciate it.

#69 User is offline   212West 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:39 AM

E-bay purchase.
used one on a Wildkat
Dropped right in on existing posts.

Posted Image

Roller Bridge Tune-o-Matic for Epiphone guitars w/ m8 threaded posts - Nickel

philaluthiertools

(US $14.95

$3.74 Standard Shipping)

This post has been edited by 212West: 22 April 2019 - 07:41 AM

Gibson SG Standard Wal
Gibson Midtown Standard VS
Gibson Les Paul Tribute'17 HCSB
Epiphone LE ES 335-Pro IT
Epiphone Les Paul Custom 100th Ann. Na
Epiphone Les Paul Custom/Artisan (L.M.)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom 'Insp. By' '55
Epiphone Les Paul Std. PTP Bb
Epiphone Thunderbird IV Pro VS
Fender Jaguar (6 String) SG
Ampeg PF 800 115/210
Orange CR 35RT

#70 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

View Post212West, on 22 April 2019 - 07:39 AM, said:

E-bay purchase.
used one on a Wildkat
Dropped right in on existing posts.

Roller Bridge Tune-o-Matic for Epiphone guitars w/ m8 threaded posts - Nickel

philaluthiertools

(US $14.95

$3.74 Standard Shipping)

I used one of those TOM roller bridges from Philadelphia Luthier Tools as well on my G400 project, working quite well..
Posted Image

A new Duesenberg USA site is coming up, as well as their prices.. The cost of a new Les Trem II has been raised to $150, some old stock is still available on ebay at lower prices, but going up. I just bought a new one best price came from Australia..

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 22 April 2019 - 10:30 PM

#71 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:37 PM

Nice to know Duesenberg is coming to the US, not so nice that they’re gonna jack up the prices :(

#72 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

mihcmac, on 13 April 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

I really like the X-Trem on my Epi LP Special II, and the prices are awesome
Posted Image

#73 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

mihcmac, on 22 April 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

I used one of those TOM roller bridges from Philadelphia Luthier Tools as well on my G400 project, working quite well..
Posted Image

A new Duesenberg USA site is coming up, as well as their prices.. The cost of a new Les Trem II has been raised to $150, some old stock is still available on ebay at lower prices, but going up. I just bought a new one best price came from Australia..
The Tremolas cost $200, but @ least they’re available in the US.

#74 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted Yesterday, 12:54 PM

View Postepistrat, on 24 April 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

The Tremolas cost $200, but @ least they're available in the US.

I got the Duesenberg Tremola for about $160, off ebay, that I thought was a lot at the time.. My Blueshawk is my favorite guitar and really wanted a tremolo solution for it..
Posted Image

View Postepistrat, on 23 April 2019 - 10:42 PM, said:

I really like the X-Trem on my Epi LP Special II, and the prices are awesome
Posted Image

Looks pretty good how do you like using it?

This post has been edited by mihcmac: Yesterday, 12:55 PM

#75 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted Yesterday, 04:17 PM

mihcmac, on 24 April 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

I got the Duesenberg Tremola for about $160, off ebay, that I thought was a lot at the time.. My Blueshawk is my favorite guitar and really wanted a tremolo solution for it..
Posted Image

Looks pretty good how do you like using it?
I think it might have less string travel than the Duesenberg Les Trem I have on my Samick V and the Bigsby B7 I have on a Hohner hollowbody, But i’m getting more and more used to it. I had to put a penny under the 1 1/8” spring (the tallest spring you can get for Bigsby-type trems) to make the bar less close to the body. Some people put a washer to raise the bar, but i’ve found that a penny works, too.

#76 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted Yesterday, 05:16 PM

View Postepistrat, on 24 April 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

I think it might have less string travel than the Duesenberg Les Trem I have on my Samick V and the Bigsby B7 I have on a Hohner hollowbody, But i'm getting more and more used to it. I had to put a penny under the 1 1/8" spring (the tallest spring you can get for Bigsby-type trems) to make the bar less close to the body. Some people put a washer to raise the bar, but i've found that a penny works, too.

Have you compared the Duesenberg spring to the Bigsby B7 spring?
Hmm..... I wonder if a hardware store would have some usable compression springs...

Also..... I have been running across these "Tremolo Goldo's" on ebay that seem to be sort of knock-offs of the Les Trem II from seller fretdreamer in France for $85.99.... I did buy 2 of my Duesenbergs from fretdreamer.....

Posted Image

This post has been edited by mihcmac: Yesterday, 07:23 PM

#77 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 PM

mihcmac, on 24 April 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

Have you compared the Duesenberg spring to the Bigsby B7 spring?
Hmm..... I wonder if a hardware store would have some usable compression springs...

Also..... I have been running across these "Tremolo Goldo's" on ebay that seem to be sort of knock-offs of the Les Trem II from seller fretdreamer in France for $85.99.... I did buy 2 of my Duesenbergs from fretdreamer.....

Posted Image
Wow, those Goldos look exactly like the Les Trem IIs. I guess Duesenberg doesn’t have a patent on their Les Trems.

I didn’t compare my Les Trem’s spring with the one on my Bigsby, because I don’t have a problem with the vibrato bar on either of them being too low. I did have that problem with the XTrem, and it already comes stock with the tallest Bigsby spring available.

If they do carry those types of springs in hardware stores, I wonder if one taller than 1 1/8” would be stable? There must be some reason why you can’t get regular Bigsby springs taller than 1 1/8”.

#78 User is offline   LongMan 

• Advanced Member

Posted Today, 12:47 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 24 April 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

Also..... I have been running across these "Tremolo Goldo's" on ebay that seem to be sort of knock-offs of the Les Trem II

Not a knockoff, but actually the same company. Göldo Music GmbH is the mothership, Göldo (all variety of guitar parts), Duesenberg (guitars, spare parts, merchandise) and Kluson (tuning machines) are trademarks of Göldo Music. Just read the imprint of goeldo.de :-)

#79 User is offline   LongMan 

• Advanced Member

Posted Today, 12:48 PM

View Postepistrat, on 24 April 2019 - 09:59 PM, said:

Wow, those Goldos look exactly like the Les Trem IIs.

They are all the same...

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users