Gibson Brands Forums: Roller Bridges... Show me what you are using... - Gibson Brands Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Roller Bridges... Show me what you are using... or other cool bridges...

#21 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Salvation A La Mode and a LP DC
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostYorgle, on 17 October 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

Well, I had hoped to show pics of a new roller bridge on my Wildkat, but the one I ordered (a mid-price one thru Amazon) arrived this morning and it's absolute junk. It looks pretty enough, but it's so poorly constructed that it's unusable. The saddles are too small for the housing and pivot on the adjustment screws- literally rocking from side to side. The slot on the rollers is WAY too wide- even for the low E string. Worse yet, the rollers are held in the saddles by tiny shafts that 1) are too long and stick out from the sides of the saddles (preventing the saddles from sliding past each other when adjusting intonation) and 2) not held in by anything so they simply fall out and disappear into the carpet the instant you tip the guitar into playing position! Guess that's what I get for being cheap.

sorry to hear your having bad luck with your new roller bridge. what type did you order?

I just ordered another one of these T-O-M roller bridges from Philadelphia Luthier Tools on eBay for $14.95 + shipping, I have had good luck with them..

Posted Image

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 18 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

P-90's Rule... Posted ImagePosted Image ...But not for everyone...

#22 User is offline   Yorgle 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:46 PM

It was this one, sold on Amazon for archtops.
Posted Image

#23 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:52 PM

View PostYorgle, on 18 October 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

It was this one, sold on Amazon for archtops.
Posted Image

Doesn't your Wildkat use mounting posts? The one I linked should fit your WildKat with out mods.

T-O-M roller bridges from Philadelphia Luthier Tools on eBay

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 18 October 2018 - 12:58 PM

#24 User is offline   Yorgle 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 18 October 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

Doesn't your Wildkat use mounting posts? The one I linked should fit your WildKat with out mods.

It did, but I like to experiment and modify things. I removed the stock Wildkat inserts & posts and shaved the new bridge's rosewood base down to about half the height shown in the picture so the new bridge itself sits at the same height as the original. Because the wooden base is wider, the bridge now touches the top of the guitar over both the solid block and some of the hollow areas as well, giving it a slightly more acoustic sound.

#25 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:01 PM

View PostYorgle, on 18 October 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

It did, but I like to experiment and modify things. I removed the stock Wildkat inserts & posts and shaved the new bridge's rosewood base down to about half the height shown in the picture so the new bridge itself sits at the same height as the original. Because the wooden base is wider, the bridge now touches the top of the guitar over both the solid block and some of the hollow areas as well, giving it a slightly more acoustic sound.

sorry didn't mean to jump the gun.. its a nice looking bridge and interesting experiment.. let us know how it comes out..

#26 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:36 AM

I acquired a nice used cherry G400 and installed some humbucker sized GFS P-90's (similar to P94's), a T-O-M roller bridge and a Duesenberg Les Trem II. I have been playing it a lot lately.. For me, a very nice combination of mods. This is my 3rd Les Trem II, they are so easy to install, just replacing the stop bar and it can dive almost as much as a Strat.. :)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 07 November 2018 - 12:48 AM

#27 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:29 AM

View PostPacific Reef, on 04 August 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

WAOOOW !

IN-CRE-DI-BLE ! [unsure]

#28 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostRevolution Six, on 08 November 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

WAOOOW !

IN-CRE-DI-BLE ! [unsure]

Interesting positioning on the Bigsby style tremolo's in addition to using a T-O-M roller bridge and T-O-M locking roller bridge.

#29 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:57 PM

I have a Wilkinson Brass roller bridge from GFS on a couple of my guitars, an Epi Special II Les Paul that I put a GFS X-Trem on and Samick Flying V that I put a Les Trem II on

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

View Postepistrat, on 21 November 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

I have a Wilkinson Brass roller bridge from GFS on a couple of my guitars, an Epi Special II Les Paul that I put a GFS X-Trem on and Samick Flying V that I put a Les Trem II on

Wow, I really like both of those .....

#31 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:47 PM

Thanks, mihcmac :)

#32 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:35 PM

My current arrangement on my G400 with TOM roller bridge, Duesenberg and GFS Mean P-90's...
Posted Image
The TOM roller bridge from Philidefia Luthier fits a little loose but doesn't seem to hurt anything.. Once in position I applied some Loctite and no more wobble...

Still having a lot fun playing the G400, it is so much lighter than my back killing 10lb Les Paul Standard Pro, that is also a dream to play... Posted ImageLooking forward to my next project ..

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 31 December 2018 - 02:45 PM

#33 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:20 AM

My left hand tremolo experiment using a locking T-O-M bridge with new mods adding GFS Dream 90's and a Towner Down Tension Bar.
I did the left hand tremolo to get the Jimi / Stevie Ray tremolo bar access, which works pretty well because the bar is always right under your hand....
Posted Image
My stock Stop Bar 8mm Asian stud necks had to be reduced in size for the Towner Down Tension Bar to fit as it is sized for Gibson studs that have 1/4" necks.

#34 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:10 PM

Installed a Stetsbar tremolo to replace my wraparound bridge on 61 SG.. works pretty good..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:36 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 07 November 2018 - 12:36 AM, said:

I acquired a nice used cherry G400 and installed some humbucker sized GFS P-90's (similar to P94's), a T-O-M roller bridge and a Duesenberg Les Trem II. I have been playing it a lot lately.. For me, a very nice combination of mods. This is my 3rd Les Trem II, they are so easy to install, just replacing the stop bar and it can dive almost as much as a Strat.. :)

Posted Image

Beautiful ...

#36 User is offline   epistrat 

• LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

Nice

#37 User is offline   mihcmac 

• LocationHawaii

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

I have always considered the way a Strat tremolo functions to be superior as strings are not dragged over the bridge, because the bridge and tremolo are one piece and move together with the intonation position getting very little movement. The main problem with the Strat style is the size of the cutout required to install one in another guitar. Finding a surface mount (non intrusive) tremolo for Gibson style guitars that give as much range of travel can be difficult. Bigsby and Les Trem's first require the strings not to stick on the nut, then sliding over the bridge can be a problem when returning to zero or tune position where roller bridges help out quite a bit. The Stetsbar style moves the bridge and sting stop as one piece and can easily come back to zero very accurately, similar to the Floyd Rose for Gibson style guitars. The main drawback is cost and that its a lot of metal on the front surface.. However they are very accurate and smooth a glass. In addition the extra weight of the Stetsbar helped reduce the neck dive on my Epiphone SG..

I try to avoid locking nuts as they usually work the best with fine tuners on the bridge/tremolo.

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 23 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

#38 User is offline   Yorgle 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:32 AM

Just for the heck of it, I stuck a rosewood bridge on my Wildkat over the weekend and was absolutely blown away by how much louder and brighter the guitar sounds vs. the tune-o-matic. I thought I'd get a darker, more muted sound with the wood bridge, but it's just the opposite. And it works fine with the tremolo. I suspect that over time, heavy use of the trem could cause the wound strings to start sawing away at the slots on the saddle, but I'm a very light trem user- just so touching the arm for color to my notes.
Posted Image

#39 User is offline   tweed2 

• "Official Forum Member"
  • LocationThe Hills of the Other Washington

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

Interesting experiment. Have you used something to keep the bridge from moving, like double-backed tape?
Bonafied, certified,

J P Patches Pal

#40 User is offline   Yorgle 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

View Posttweed2, on 06 March 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

Interesting experiment. Have you used something to keep the bridge from moving, like double-backed tape?

Doesn't seem to be a problem, but again, I'm a pretty light player- no heavy rhythm or dive bombing the trem.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users