Gibson Brands Forums

Be Still My Heart

Mr. Paul

Drives me nuts to see a saddle sitting in a long bridge that has been obviously sanded down from below, thus shortening the fitting of the now shortened saddle into the long bridge. my mind always flashes to an impending neck reset, possible fret and fingerboard plane, and you add perhaps $1,200 to the purchase price ? wish i could cut and copy a picture of that guitars bridge here but I can't, so click n the link, zoom in on the saddle ends sitting on that bridge and tell me what you think.

That guitar is about seven hours from me so very doable. Thing is I ain't interested especially with that price tag. One of the things about owning a Banner is it tends to makes everything else a whole lot less tempting.

The short saddle could have just been a handy replacement. I have done it. While the guitar might need a neck reset generally you will either do that or have the fingerboard planed to achieve the proper angle. It would be extremely rare to have both done unless you have the 14th fret hump.

I always figured the translation of untouched though is simply all of the original parts are there. Nothing has been replaced. Unless the guitar has been in the same family since the day it rolled out of the factory, we do not have a clue how many times the thing has been touched down through the years unless it is something that is hard to miss. While you cannot tell from the photo, every vintage guitar covered with lacquer will exhibit crazing no matter how much time it has spent tucked away. If I do not see that red flags are going to be being waved all over the place.

Archived