Gibson Brands Forums

Amazing 1964 Hummingbird available at The Music Emporium

thegreatgumbino

Needs a burst.

Simply amazing condition. Plenty of silking in the top, helping to add to the notion that Gibson took some degree of care in selecting the wood used for the tops of their natural finished guitars. Such a high degree of gloss showing on the back & sides on some of the 3/4 angle pics, that if it weren't for the strap pin wear and the slightest bit of fretboard divots at the first few frets, it would be tough to say that the guitar had been played much at all.

Let's see the case, TME.

7rGqC0n.png

? !

The treasure that slipped into a hole - a time capsule jewel.

This is a guitar one needs to hear. The fact that it is so un-touched places it in an odd spot between never brought to life and very old vipe-willin' wood.

It might well be heard.

Do you remember that double Southern Jumbo I sat up a month ago. The 1965 that almost completely mirrored my 63.

The degrees of openness was significant. Mine was loose and played - the 65'er shared the same voice, but was much stiffer and 'new'.

I learned a good deal from that SJ-summit. It reflected the kind of logic one would predict - intriguing to experience in reality.

The bridge-exchange on the blonde Bird above must be considered a mistake.

Yes, it might be sounding 'better' (more conventional), but to 'fix' a 98 % mint vintage Hummingbird is an over-move.

It deserved to stand (and sing) like it did when Kalamazoo sent it on the streets. Not least for the Stones-sound aficionados waiting out there.

If I'm not too far off theirs were from that same year, , , or very close, which means just before they went nut-narrow.

Apart from that, excellent find ^ may its destiny bring it to glory, glee and living vibration

Archived