Gibson Brands Forums

Potential Bargain on Ebay

Skeet1

I own three of these, with one being a 91 model. Just saw one like it on ebay for $450, which could be a bargain given condition. Very few pictures, but looks good. The 89, 90 and 91's were made in Gibson's Bozeman plant shortly after it bought Flat Iron. Solid spruce top and solid maple back and sides. Only piece made in Korea was the neck, which necessitated labeling "Made in Korea." Learned all of this from Gibson's former web manager and assistant historian. Made in small batches over that period. Mint condition (mine) go for upwards to $1000. Has that fabulous Gibson Everly percussive, punchy sound. The neck is narrower at the nut (1.65") than the J-180's or Gibson Everly's. I have small hands, so I love it, but I have seen/heard complaints from folks with larger hands. Just thought I'd let anyone with potential interest know about this.

The one my previous post referred to sold. However, there is another being offered for auction with no reserve on Ebay, and it appears, too, to be a 91 (Gibson headstock and label are, generally, giveaways). If you can pick this up for a decent price (less than $300, maybe $400), you'll be surprised at the sound.

I have had an Epiphone SQ-180 Neil Diamond not too long ago (year of manufacture: 2000). Laminate back and sides. Probably a laminate top even. Not even the soundhole was centered properly. Very narrow 60's-style neck. Very flat neck angle helped somewhat by a super low bridge. She sounded very shallow but due to her compact size she was very comfortable to hold and play as a rhythm guitar.

Archived