Gibson Brands Forums

A GarageBand/recording question

62burst

Is it possible to bring guitar mic and vocal mic into GarageBand separately in one single recording, so that volume levels of each can be adjusted individually, once recorded in GarageBand? (using a 4 input PreSonus interface into the MacBook) Hopefully, there's still no such thing as a stupid question. Thx.

Maybe I don't understand the question, because to me it seems very basic. You should be able to use all 4 of your channels in GarageBand with no problem. I use Logic now, but I used GarageBand with a two channel interface and two microphones before that. AFAIK, this feature has always been there - but I know it's been there since 2011.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH24941?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Thanks for the encouragement, Lars, and Boyd for the link- wasn't able to find the Choose Track > Configure Track Header, let alone record enable button on the older version of Garge Band- so. . . 'just downloaded GB 10.3.1, gonna be a chore to find my way around the new version, but there's the dialog box for the record enable button:

rzWAcnx.png?1

. . . by the looks of it, yes, it will be possible to record (make) multiple tracks simultaneously. But that functionality that BBG was also looking for, is the ability to have the vocals and guitar recorded on the same take/at the same time each isolated on their own separate tracks in order to adjust their volume levels individually (?).

But that functionality that BBG was also looking for, is the ability to have the vocals and guitar recorded on the same take/at the same time each isolated on their own separate tracks in order to adjust their volume levels individually (?).[/size]

Assuming that you have an interface with at least two channels, you can plug in two mics (or a mic and a guitar) and each will appear in GarageBand as a completely separate track where it can be recorded independently using its own level. That is a basic feature of any recording software, including GarageBand. You said you had a 4 channel interface, so you should be able to record 4 independent tracks simultaneously if you plug 4 "things" into it. On playback you can then individually adjust volume, use effects, etc.

Since you mention old versions, when you say "MacBook" are you talking about the old plastic Core2duo MacBook? Those are a lot slower than the new MacBookx, but still should be fast enough for multi-channel recording.

From the link I posted above. It shows two separate tracks, each with its own volume slider and pan knob. You can see "overhead L" and "overhead R" are recording on separate tracks - note the red record buttons. The third (Audio 3) track is not enabled for recording, so there is no waveform and the button is not red.

S1209_recMultiChannelRecording.png

62Burst, you said you have a 4-channel presonus interface. Most interfaces have a separate software component that manages input gain before it even hits the recording software. For example, my Apollo Twin USB has software called "Console". Using Console, I can make adjustments that would manage the interface as if I was turning the knobs themselves. That, and lots more functionality right from the beginning.

If you are unsure, if you post a link to the interface, I can download the PDF and look through the manual to find out the exact details. Ideally, one would normally want to adjust the signal before getting it into the recording software. Lining up volumes from one component to another component is very important. (called "gain staging")

BBG - The actual source assignment is right there in the picture 62Burst posted. In that blue colored tab called "Track". The option called "Input". That list box should show you all the input options that the interface has available. If it does not list the options, garageband might be pointed to the wrong interface or input source.

Burst62 - The picture you posted looks like Garageband is "looking" at your device's built in components and not your interface.

It's kind of tough to dig through all of the components in the home project studio recording world. It's usually a case of matching terminology to desired functionality.

Thanks, PB. Very obvious by your previous posts, you've put some serious time into learning recording. Taking a look at the interface, I see I can adjust gain and clipping on the input, and it makes sense to see if I can get better levels there first. My hope is that once recorded, it will be possible to further fine tune levels of guitar and vocal mic afterwards.

The screen capture in post #5 was just a quick look to confirm that the "track" drop down options after upgrading to the latest GarageBand were there. Thinking about it, the cable from the interface to the computer is a USB, and not just a 1/4" phono cable, so it makes sense that it has the capability to carry multiple channels. Suppose the recording software, as Boyd suggested, should be able to detect that, and allow the different inputs to be given their own track. Looking forward to giving it a shot.

........Suppose the recording software, as Boyd suggested, should be able to detect that, and allow the different inputs to be given their own track. Looking forward to giving it a shot.

Have you seen a setting inside of GarageBand that points to something like "Interface" or "Playback Engine"? The track channel is a component of the larger device(interface). If GarageBand is still pointing to your onboard sound-card, it will not display the interface's channels. Just the sound-card's channels. Do you know if you've specifically pointed GarageBand to the Interface?

For various reasons, the recording software may or may not automatically pick up the interface. If it does, you would see it as an option and not the built in mic. Probably part of a menu item on the top row of settings and such at the top of the screen and not down near the track.

edit: One possible reason for not being automatically picked up if it was supposed to be identified automatically could be bit-rate and speed mis-match. I think I've heard Garageband defaulting or only recording at 44.1kHz and 24-bits. If your interface is not set accordingly, then it might not be presented as an option.

Good luck!!! Hope it lines up soon.

The above are good (if not altogether completely above my pay grade) things to keep in mind should GarageBand not pick up the individual inputs, but it stands a good chance of doing so, as the computer automatically detects the USB when connected and shows a dialog box asking which outputs to use (built in speakers or the studio monitors connected to the interface)- hopefully, GarageBand will follow suit with the inputs. If not, you've given some good ideas where to go looking. Thx.

No problem, we'll see how it goes when using the info that came out as a result of this thread- thanks to all.

Now, though it was first thought unusual for PatriotsBiker to include his recording setup in his sig line, well . . . now that we have you- any chance you could share what Pro Tools offered that made it worth the time to learn it, vs GarageBand? [biggrin]

That is indeed what I’d like

I don’t have a Mac though , just iPad

Seems very strange to me that such a scenario is not possible

Bbg, simultaneous multitrack recording is indeed possible on iPad too. See here for example,

Lars

Now, though it was first thought unusual for PatriotsBiker to include his recording setup in his sig line, well . . . now that we have you- any chance you could share what Pro Tools offered that made it worth the time to learn it, vs GarageBand? [biggrin] [/size]

I've always been simply awful at the social do's and don't's. Probably why I made a living as a database programmer geek. [blush] I do try, though.

I never had a choice for GarageBand, being a windows user. I was trying to find something better than Audacity. As GB was not an option, I went to Reaper. Piddled with that for a couple years. Bought an Avid Eleven Rack guitar signal processor. It came free with Pro Tools. I found the work-flow to be very intuitive. A better word might be "Easy". It was like going from an horribly set up acoustic to a perfectly set-up short scale Gibson acoustic. At any rate, once I saw how easy it was compared to Reaper, I was hooked soon addicted.

Oh, and why I had my recording chain in my sig.... to me, my home project studio is an instrument and an art form unto itself. Second, full disclosure in case I ever posted a song.

The GarageBand on my iPad has 8 channels.

They are all separate, and I can mix each one however I like.

Have you been able to assign vocal mic and guitar mic to their own tracks? In a “one take” recording, that would allow you to go back in and fine-tune volume levels for vocals and guitar separately .

I've always been simply awful at the social do's and don't's. Probably why I made a living as a database programmer geek. [blush] I do try, though.

I never had a choice for GarageBand, being a windows user. I was trying to find something better than Audacity. As GB was not an option, I went to Reaper. Piddled with that for a couple years. Bought an Avid Eleven Rack guitar signal processor. It came free with Pro Tools. I found the work-flow to be very intuitive. A better word might be "Easy". It was like going from an horribly set up acoustic to a perfectly set-up short scale Gibson acoustic. At any rate, once I saw how easy it was compared to Reaper, I was hooked soon addicted.

Oh, and why I had my recording chain in my sig.... to me, my home project studio is an instrument and an art form unto itself. Second, full disclosure in case I ever posted a song.

Good to hear how you came through the other popular recording software to get to ProTools, and that you found it fairly intuitive, but considering your programming background, someone more technically challenged (me) might not have the same learning curve 😬.

Bbg, simultaneous multitrack recording is indeed possible on iPad too. See here for example,

Lars

That’s it ! Lars, Do you do recording using the methods shown in that video? It might take me forever to learn my way around it, but that is a clear demonstration of exactly what I was looking for. So there is hope.

Thanks so much.

Have you been able to assign vocal mic and guitar mic to their own tracks? In a “one take” recording, that would allow you to go back in and fine-tune volume levels for vocals and guitar separately .

Good to hear how you came through the other popular recording software to get to ProTools, and that you found it fairly intuitive, but considering your programming background, someone more technically challenged (me) might not have the same learning curve 😬.

It's tough to learn multiple disciplines at once. For me, it was music recording/mixing/Engineering, music in general and then the software to run portion of it. It took me years, and there are big gaps in my abilities and knowledge. There would be, and still are times where I don't know where in the signal chain the mistake is. It's not easy by any means. It was one of the toughest things I've ever learned to do.

So, I see your question to Murph. Are you having an issue doing that? (I've already proven I can be quite so to grasping conversational intent.)

Have you been able to assign vocal mic and guitar mic to their own tracks? In a "one take" recording, that would allow you to go back in and fine-tune volume levels for vocals and guitar separately....

If you're recording the vocal mic and guitar mic at the same time, even if you get each mic going to a different track, how are you going to isolate them during the live performance? You'll be getting vocals into the guitar mic and vice versa.

To get the tracks completely isolated, you'll have to record each track separately, OR don't mic the guitar - assuming it has a pickup, run it directly into your usb interface.

I had plans to record two tracks, simultaneously, but I realized I’m just not a good enough singer to pull it off. I did borrow a two track audio interface for IOS/iPad/iPhone about a year ago, and it did work just fine from a technical point of view, that is. I do sing marginally better when playing at the same time, but I realt need to be able two cut vocals together from various takes in order to sound anywhere decent. I don’t get issues with guitar bleeding in to the voice track and swaying tempo when doing two separate tracks.

If you plan on investing in a multi input audio interface for your iPad, do check that it is compatible with your IOS/Garageband version. Multitracking does not work on my sons old 2nd gen iPad.

Lars

If you're recording the vocal mic and guitar mic at the same time, even if you get each mic going to a different track, how are you going to isolate them during the live performance?

Well it seems obvious that you are limited by your microphones regardless of how you record things. If you use supercardiod microphones like the Shure Beta 57a for the guitar and Beta 58a for vocals, and if you aim them properly, then you'll get pretty good isolation. There will be some vocal in the guitar track and vice versa, but at a much lower level. Why do you feel it's necessary to completely isolate them?

Patriots’ - didn’t know if it was even possible to isolate each mic until this thread.

Cougar- as Boyd mentioned, and as was demonstrated in the YouTube that Lars offered up, there will be some bleedthrough from other mics even if they are isolated, but it will be minimal, and enough to still get a good balance of levels.

Boyd- Thanks for the heads up on LogicPro… I’ll keep that in mind when the limitations of GarageBand get to be enough.

Archived