Gibson Brands Forums

Sunday Song

Buc McMaster

Trying to learn a new song every week to add to my open mic set list, so I started with this one yesterday. Much simplified guitar part......I cannot play the O'Keefe part and keep the vocal together.......I'll leave the embellishments to Don. Might make this evenings' set if I can remember the lyrics by then..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMLdSZwlSq0

J-35; DR Sunbeams half step down; Kat Eyz capo 2 (key of F); Blue Chip TPR50 pick; recorded direct into iMovie with Blue Yeti USB mic; no additional processing added

Another sweet tune, Buc. You definitely "do it justice." The J35 sounds really good, but I think you can likely make lots of guitars sound good. No, you're not Chet Atkins, but you're playing is superb and easily blends with your voice and the type of song. Easy-on-the-ears.........BTW, the gal I often duo with at gigs spent several hours with Danny O'Keef at a Folk Alliance Convention two years ago. She was promoting her radio station and he agreed to an interview with her and then joined her group for dinner. She said he was very free with advice on songwriting and the business. All-around nice guy.

Nice job, Buc. Smooth and easy.

Danny had another gem around 1973 or so and it's on his Breezy Stories album. It wasn't a top 10 song and many people have never heard it, thanks to free form radio in Mesa I heard it then, and recently on Radio Free Phoenix.

Another thing Buc, since my last studio project, I am almost exclusively using Blue Chip and Wegen picks. The plastic sound of the Tortex really stood out recording the acoustics and I was lucky enough to have brought my Blue Chip and nipped it in the bud before anything ever got recorded. My partner, however, can only play those thin Tortex 50's so there's that...

Thanks for posting.

Great performance, Buc!

I still want to get to New Orleans and do an opener for you one of these days, Pat! Life sometimes seems to get in the way of living though, ya know?

How come you don't record with the Edwina mic these days?

Well, my recording setup with the Edwina was only doable using my Schertler amplifier, not direct to the computer. A digital audio interface will take care of that and it's on my list of things to buy pretty soon. It is a great microphone, huh. Happy to hear you and others here have picked up up on ET mics.......good stuff!

........since my last studio project, I am almost exclusively using Blue Chip and Wegen picks. The plastic sound of the Tortex really stood out......

Yeah, Murph, there is no pick like a BC for my purposes. They are quieter on the strings than anything else I've tried. I like the TPR design with rounded tips which is largely responsible for the fat, rich tone of the J-35 in this recording. Great picks!

Thanks to all for listening! I appreciate the love! :)

Archived