Gibson Brands Forums: Bucís Sunrise has landed in the UK! - Gibson Brands Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bucís Sunrise has landed in the UK!

#1 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

Hi all,
As you may remember, forum legend Buc McMaster recently very kindly offered to send his Sunrise soundhole pickup across the Atlantic to my humble abode here in the UK, to be installed in my Maple AJ.

Happily, I arrived back from yesterdayís gig in the early hours of this morning to find that it had arrived-I was excited to get it installed, but tiredness won out as it was 3am, so the install had to wait until today. Removing the factory fitted Baggs Element VTC took some careful fettling, but installing the Sunrise was a cinch-no batteries, no UST, no fiddly preamp wiring...just two wing clamps and an endpin jack. Buc cautioned me about going easy on the wing clamp screw torque, so I just nipped them up enough to snug the pickup down, taking great care not to overtighten them and cause any damage.

Job #2 was to reverse the polepiece heights (Buc is of course a lefty), and set them to an appropriate height for the guitar-this took no time at all, but Iíll tweak the polepieces in due course to get the balance dialled in just the way I like it.

I havenít been able to plug in yet as my PA is with my bandmates, but I will collect it tomorrow and let the fun begin!

First impressions are that the Sunrise is a beautifully made, extremely solid and absolutely pro product. It feels right in the hand and looks like it belongs in the AJ. Another plus is that the AJ sounds sweeter and more responsive now the UST is gone...very happy with that!

Thanks again Buc, your generosity is amazing and very much appreciated. More reports to come soon!
#######
2016 Custom Shop Advanced Jumbo Maple (Ltd to 65)
2015 SJ200 Standard
2014 Custom Shop J180 Everly (Ltd to 65)
2005 Custom Shop Hummingbird 12 String (Ltd to 12)
1990 Hummingbird (Fullerplast and Paddle neck joint. Yuck...My favourite 6 string ever!)
1968 F25
1967 J45
1935 Dobro M32
2017 Epiphone Masterbilt Century Deluxe Archtop
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster
1988 Fender Strat Plus

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic

#2 User is offline   duluthdan 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAspen, Colorado

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:46 PM

Huzzah ! This kind of stuff is glorious to hear. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42
Gibson J-35 Vintage

#3 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• Follow your joy, grasshopper.
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:42 PM

Good news! More than happy to pass the pickup your way..........put it to good use!
J35 - J45 Vintage
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been.

#4 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:17 AM

See.

We're FAR MORE than just virtual friends....

#5 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

Indeed, Murph!! And I will, Buc...in London at the min with the Mrs and stepkids for a night away, canít wait to get plugged in and start to dial everything in tomorrow!
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
1990 Hummingbird (Fullerplast and Paddle neck joint. Yuck...My favourite 6 string ever!)
1968 F25
1967 J45
1935 Dobro M32
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1988 Fender Strat Plus

#######
www.jinder.co.uk

#6 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:25 AM

Having had a few days to play with the Sunrise at home, iím taking it out for its first gig today...

My first impressions are that it blows every other soundhole pup iíve tried out of the water. The low end is huge but defined, the top end is rich and feathery and doesnít have that magnetic ďpingĒ that a lot do, and the mids are sweet and nuanced.

Iíve found that the Boss AD10 makes for the perfect front end-the EQ (70hz low end cut, bass at midday, mids at 11am, treble at midday and presence at 10:30), compressor (9am) and reverb (long verb, 1pm) really sweeten it without taking the character of the pickup away. Dialling in a spot of the acoustic resonance feature (11:30am) softens the attack transients a little, but to be honest the pickup sounds so good that it doesnít really require it.

Iím really excited to take it out live and see what else I can coax out of it in a gig situation with some looping, delay and overdrive. Super happy with it so far!
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
1968 F25
1967 J45
1935 Dobro M32
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1988 Fender Strat Plus

#######
www.jinder.co.uk

#7 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• LocationTexas!

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

Well that's a good first report.........here's hoping it pans out for you in a live situation! But hey, if it doesn't and you figure it's not the one for you and the AJ, that's okay.....don't be shy about saying so........an honest evaluation from real world application is what we want. And if that turns out to be the case, pass it on to one of your mates and let him/her give it a go.........if not you, someone's gonna love it!

(Don't want you to figure I'd take any kind of offense if the Sunrise is not right for you......you're under no obligation here. Follow your joy, grasshopper!)
J35 - J45 Vintage

#8 User is offline   Johnt 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 12 August 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

Well that's a good first report.........here's hoping it pans out for you in a live situation! But hey, if it doesn't and you figure it's not the one for you and the AJ, that's okay.....don't be shy about saying so........an honest evaluation from real world application is what we want. And if that turns out to be the case, pass it on to one of your mates and let him/her give it a go.........if not you, someone's gonna love it!

(Don't want you to figure I'd take any kind of offense if the Sunrise is not right for you......you're under no obligation here. Follow your joy, grasshopper!)

What a great and lovely thing to do Buc

All best to you and yours
94 Centennial Gibson Jumbo
94 Centennial SB J200
94 J200 12 string Anniversary
SWD 12 string
SJ200 KOA
ES335
J45
CSL Les Paul
Gretsch Rancher
G&L ASAT Telecaster
Fender Strat
Fender Telecaster Nashville
Cort precision bass
Cort 12 string

#9 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

Good to hear, so to speak, Jinder.

Short question...what is all this stuff under Sunrise?:

https://www.elderly....anufacturer=375

Not that I am buying another pickup, see! Oh no, no, no...well at least not until payday after paying tax and all the bills and no, I am NOT ...ha. But really, I may as well try a Sunrise - I have read some good things.....err..NO, no, no NO!

BluesKing777.

#10 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

View PostBluesKing777, on 12 August 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Good to hear, so to speak, Jinder.

Short question...what is all this stuff under Sunrise?:

https://www.elderly....anufacturer=375

Not that I am buying another pickup, see! Oh no, no, no...well at least not until payday after paying tax and all the bills and no, I am NOT ...ha. But really, I may as well try a Sunrise - I have read some good things.....err..NO, no, no NO!

BluesKing777.

You are the pickup king, BK-you owe it to yourself to try a Sunrise!

Buc, I appreciate your transparency on the fact you wouldnít be offended if the Sunrise wasnít for me...if it wasnít, Iíd definitely pass it along to someone appreciative, but as things stand, it isnít going anywhere!!

The gig last night was great-I would say the Sunrise is the best plugged in tone iíve ever heard for strumming, amazingly sweet and full. Remarkably acoustic sounding...I would say for fingerstyle itís very good too. I need to play with my boost/fingerstyle settings on the AD10 as I have quite a bright boosted tone set for piezo stuff and it thinned out the Sunrise a touch more than it needed, but thatís just salad...all stuff I can play with and get just so.

I just want to get out there more and more with it now...lots of tonal possibilities to explore!

Iím considering buying one of the Sunrise buffer boxes with a return option-Iím intrigued to see what kind of extra sprinkles of magic they purportedly add.
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
1968 F25
1967 J45
1935 Dobro M32
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1988 Fender Strat Plus

#######
www.jinder.co.uk

#11 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:41 PM

Thanks Jinder, glad you are enjoying the pickup....

They certainly get a good rap. Oh no. And...a buffer box?

Iíll have to turn my garage into a pickup station! And perhaps sleep out there if...you know...

And I wonder why Buc ditched it?

BluesKing777.

#12 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• LocationTexas!

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:02 PM

View PostJinder, on 13 August 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

I would say the Sunrise is the best plugged in tone iíve ever heard for strumming, amazingly sweet and full.

Cool beans. [thumbup]

The Sunrise preamp/buffers are nothing more than that: a preamp for signal boosting and an impedance matching device........which I figure one of your outboard gadgets is already. But hey, what do I know? Go on and plunk down yer Euros and get another gadget! [flapper]

BK: Didn't like the weight nor the appearance of the Sunrise in my guitar. Yeah, silly, I know........should have remembered that from my first go-round with one many years ago.
J35 - J45 Vintage

#13 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:11 PM

View PostBluesKing777, on 13 August 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

Thanks Jinder, glad you are enjoying the pickup....

They certainly get a good rap. Oh no. And...a buffer box?

Iíll have to turn my garage into a pickup station! And perhaps sleep out there if...you know...

And I wonder why Buc ditched it?

BluesKing777.

Haha I love the idea of a pickup station!! Might be worth having a camp bed or two for other players who also befall the fate of ď...you knowĒ!!

Buc would no doubt be best placed to say why it didnít suit his tastes. Itís certainly a very specific sound, and isnít as woody as something like a K&K. Itís not bigger as such, sonically, rather...wider. Itís hard to explain! I donít know how it would jive with other guitars but it certainly sounds terrific with the AJ.

This is my second AJ, the first being a standard Rosewood example and this one being Maple. The first one sounded great unplugged but was horribly hard to amplify well. I tried a Baggs M1A, a DiMarzio Angel dual source system, a Fishman Matrix Natural I, a JJB Prestige and finally a Dtar Wavelength Dual Source. The Dtar was the most acceptable but the guitar was just a pig to amplify.

The Maple AJ came with the stock Baggs Element VTC system, which didnít suit it at all...I was worried Iíd been hit with the curse of the impossible AJ amplification once more, but the Sunrise is a very good fit indeed, it would seem...looking forward to getting to know it more as time goes on!
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
1968 F25
1967 J45
1935 Dobro M32
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1988 Fender Strat Plus

#######
www.jinder.co.uk

#14 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:22 AM

View PostJinder, on 13 August 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

Haha I love the idea of a pickup station!! Might be worth having a camp bed or two for other players who also befall the fate of ď...you knowĒ!!

Buc would no doubt be best placed to say why it didnít suit his tastes. Itís certainly a very specific sound, and isnít as woody as something like a K&K. Itís not bigger as such, sonically, rather...wider. Itís hard to explain! I donít know how it would jive with other guitars but it certainly sounds terrific with the AJ.

This is my second AJ, the first being a standard Rosewood example and this one being Maple. The first one sounded great unplugged but was horribly hard to amplify well. I tried a Baggs M1A, a DiMarzio Angel dual source system, a Fishman Matrix Natural I, a JJB Prestige and finally a Dtar Wavelength Dual Source. The Dtar was the most acceptable but the guitar was just a pig to amplify.

The Maple AJ came with the stock Baggs Element VTC system, which didnít suit it at all...I was worried Iíd been hit with the curse of the impossible AJ amplification once more, but the Sunrise is a very good fit indeed, it would seem...looking forward to getting to know it more as time goes on!

Guitar Pickup Station Consultant, Jazz The Wonderdog says all the pickups sound the same! [smile]

Posted Image

BluesKing777.

#15 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:25 AM

Another update...Iíve spent the last week on the road with the AJ and Sunrise combo, schlepping up and down the country to gigs far and wide. Iím so smitten with this pickup in the AJ that I havenít picked up any of my other guitars. Iíve tweaked the settings on my AD10 to even out the boost EQ and the articulation for fingerstyle playing is astounding. The top end is sweet and defined and the bottom end is strident and clear, far better note separation and clarity than any pickup iíve used before.

Two sound engineers commented that at times it sounds like two guitars playing at the same time (definitely a compliment to the instrument/pickup combo, not my fingerstyle playing!) and Iíve had various compliments at the merch stand from audience members too.

Itís buttery and terrific for strumming and flatpicking too, a real all-rounder. The only thing it does less than perfectly is aggressively flatpicked blues-it seems to hit a dynamic ceiling for that style, but it just requires a slightly less feisty right hand to rein it back into the sweet zone.

I think the sound engineer from my Fridayís gig summed it up best when he said ďthatís the easiest mix Iíve had to do in a long time, the more I turn the guitar up, the more expensive everything sounds!Ē

I explained to him that the pickup was a gift from a friend and fellow picker on the other side of the pond, and he replied ďthatís so cool...I need friends like yours!Ē

Thanks again, Buc...more updates to come. Itís definitely staying with me! Iím now working out which other guitars in the arsenal need to be Sunrisen.
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
1968 F25
1967 J45
1935 Dobro M32
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1988 Fender Strat Plus

#######
www.jinder.co.uk

#16 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• LocationTexas!

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:17 AM

View PostJinder, on 20 August 2018 - 04:25 AM, said:

Itís definitely staying with me!

Well good then.........the Sunrise has found a home! Happy to hear it's working out for you, sir! There's a reason it's considered perhaps the best of the sound hole magnetics.......it works! [thumbup]
J35 - J45 Vintage

#17 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

Elderly have been out of stock of Sunrise pickups since this thread began! <_<

(my M80 sounds great in my Blues King through my Boss VE8, which I am guessing has the same electros as your AD10.)

BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 20 August 2018 - 06:35 AM

#18 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 26 August 2018 - 01:00 PM

The Sunrise joy continues...just finished gig no 5 of the week and Iíve used the AJ/Sunrise combo for all of them.

Iíve found that it encourages me to soften my right hand attack, so a handy side effect is that Iíve had the same set of EXP 13s on the guitar for the last fortnight and theyíre still intact and only just starting to drop off the back end of the tonal curve. Iíve also gone back to the .73mm yellow Tortex picks which sound great, as opposed to the .88 greens which sound a little heavy handed with this setup.

An old friend, Al Preston, came to tonightís gig. He has an SJ200 with a Headway pickup in it which he loves, but he was raving about the sound of the AJ and quizzing me about the pickup and the AD10 pre. Like me, he wasnít a fan of soundhole pickups in general before, but he said the Sunrise was by far the best live sound heíd heard from any of my guitars, and heís heard them all over the years.

Iím going to have to seek out a couple more of them when finances allow, I need to put one in my J180 and another in the F25 I have incoming next month. Will be super interesting to see how they sound and respond in different guits!
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
1968 F25
1967 J45
1935 Dobro M32
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1988 Fender Strat Plus

#######
www.jinder.co.uk

#19 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:07 AM

View PostJinder, on 26 August 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

The Sunrise joy continues...just finished gig no 5 of the week and I’ve used the AJ/Sunrise combo for all of them.

I’ve found that it encourages me to soften my right hand attack, so a handy side effect is that I’ve had the same set of EXP 13s on the guitar for the last fortnight and they’re still intact and only just starting to drop off the back end of the tonal curve. I’ve also gone back to the .73mm yellow Tortex picks which sound great, as opposed to the .88 greens which sound a little heavy handed with this setup.

An old friend, Al Preston, came to tonight’s gig. He has an SJ200 with a Headway pickup in it which he loves, but he was raving about the sound of the AJ and quizzing me about the pickup and the AD10 pre. Like me, he wasn’t a fan of soundhole pickups in general before, but he said the Sunrise was by far the best live sound he’d heard from any of my guitars, and he’s heard them all over the years.

I’m going to have to seek out a couple more of them when finances allow, I need to put one in my J180 and another in the F25 I have incoming next month. Will be super interesting to see how they sound and respond in different guits!

Good luck finding more Sunrises! Scarce, unless Buc has some more. Shoreline Music seems to the only ones....

Did you fiddle with adjusting the pole pieces, Jinder? I was advised to try removing 1 and 2 string pole pieces on my Baggs M80 to stop the strings being too loud and adjusted the other poles right down to get a more woody sound. And I am amazed at the difference. Love it. (depends on the guitar geometry, some soundholes are closer to the strings.)

I mentioned it to a friend with the Baggs M1 passive and he has just told me he loves it now....was about to remove the pickup before........

BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 27 August 2018 - 05:08 AM

#20 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:11 AM

View PostBluesKing777, on 27 August 2018 - 05:07 AM, said:

Good luck finding more Sunrises! Scarce, unless Buc has some more. Shoreline Music seems to the only ones....

Did you fiddle with adjusting the pole pieces, Jinder? I was advised to try removing 1 and 2 string pole pieces on my Baggs M80 to stop the strings being too loud and adjusted the other poles right down to get a more woody sound. And I am amazed at the difference. Love it. (depends on the guitar geometry, some soundholes are closer to the strings.)

I mentioned it to a friend with the Baggs M1 passive and he has just told me he loves it now....was about to remove the pickup before........

BluesKing777.

I removed the B pole from mine , then adjusted the heights so the volume was the same for each string ....:
Is that same approach you took BK ?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users