Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Masterbilt OM EF-500mns: Your Opinion?

CharmedLifePcks

Folks, even though I'm new around here, a lot of your already know what a total Epi Masterbilt nut I am. I currently own four of them.

I recently bought an incredible Eastman OM-40 fingerstyle guitar; it has all the bells and whistles and blings and will be with me a LONG time. However, I've learned from bitter experience never to take my best guitars to what I call "uncontrolled situations" -- open mics, drunken parties, jams with people I don't know well, etc.

I'm on the hunt for a used OM under $500. I love the wider 1.75" nut on OM models.

Has anyone played this model? This is NOT the cutaway, but the straight OM with no factory electronics (I prefer to add my own).

Thanks for your input,

scott memmer

post-66011-003043800 1533532097_thumb.jpg

Folks, even though I'm new around here, a lot of your already know what a total Epi Masterbilt nut I am. I currently own four of them..... Has anyone played this model? This is NOT the cutaway, but the straight OM with no factory electronics (I prefer to add my own).

Yes, I had the EF500MNS. It was great. Sounds perfect for what you're looking for. I also had an EF500PNS, an EF500RAVS, and a cedar-topped, rosewood-backed AJ500RC 12-fret. Yes, these were the non-cutaways from the 2004-2010 production run of Masterbilts. All excellent 6-strings. I had to eventually let them all go after I got my jumbo Guild F50R, which would give a Gibson SJ200 a run for its money.

Cougar, thanks for your post. Yes, I've had amazing luck with the Epi MBs. One thing I noticed: One of my AJ-500Ms is the loudest guitar I've ever owned. I've had some great guitars in my stable through the years, but this one's a real screamer, the only guitar I've ever owned that one could call a "cannon". This particular one has the satin top, not the glossy one. Is it possible that lighter finish allows the top to vibrate more? It's really a noticeable difference.

thanks,

sm

Archived