Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Strings all at Once

beppe

I do it all the time so I can easiy clean the fretboard, and changing all string is much easier. No problem for over 50 years on my ES's, LP's, as well as SG's.

Loosen the strings and then cut them. Just make sure you do not drop the bridge and stoptail. You can use masking tape to keep the bridge and stoptail from falling off when you remove all strings.

msp_biggrin.gif

Thank you for your help. So in short if you are careful enough the bridge and stoptail should just stay in place once strings are off.. Is that correct? Thank you once again.

it depends on what you plan to do once the strings are off. The stop piece will most likely slide off the posts, as there is nothing to anchor them. And if you're doing any cleaning/polishing on the body, the wheels for the bridge height adjustment (thumb wheels usually) will move very easily with no string tension on the bridge assembly

I take off all but the 2 E strings. Slack the tuning enough so you can move them out of the way (off the nut for example) so they sit on the edge of the neck but off the fret-board and at the same time, still put enough tension on the bridge so the wheels don't move too freely. This will hold things in place, but also give you enough working space to condition the fret board, or clean the area under the strings. On the occasions where they must come off, (like a fret polish) you can hold the stop bar in place and keep the bridge adjustments from moving with blue painters masking tape. you'll also want to cover the pickups if you plan to do a fret polish so nothing gets into the pickups. (I use 0000 steel wool and masking tape to protect the wood on the FB between frets as well as cover the pickups entirely. I use a clean paint brush to brush off all residue.)

The Blue tape is safe to use, and any tape residue left behind will come right off with any guitar finish cleaner.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived