Gibson Brands Forums

2008 Les Paul Traditional

jaygl

Jus wanna reach out to the gurus here on the authenticity of a LP I am looking at buying. The owner changed the pick guard and TRC but it's stock otherwise. I don't see any red flags but just wanted to ask the pro's here....is it legit? Thanks for any responses.

lptradblkfull_zpsv5qpjidk.jpg

tradebonylogo_zpswxmlzdaf.jpg

lptradblkfull3_zpsrsmndegn.jpg

tradblack%20serial_zpsb56mwm7q.jpg

Cant see any issues in those pics.. Apart from the horrid truss rod cover and see through pic guard.. But I guess that down to personal taste :) But I mean common.. I could see the point of it with a flame top or a burst.. A black top, doesn't seem much point at all?

A pic of the back of the headstock and guitar would help too.. Sometimes you can see the serial number isn't right or something.

hard to say from two photos, but some of the major red flags don't quite show.

The "costum" TRC and pickgaurd could mean anything.

is the truss rod adjustment a nut fitting like it ought to be, or an Allan key?

Looks pretty good to me.. The plastic is not a big issue.. It does have Kluson Deluxe tuners that Gibson sometimes substitutes for the similar looking Gibson Deluxe tuners that usually have nut bushings.. Looks like a hot LP for sure..

Ended up buying it!!! Man, has to be one of the heaviest LP's I've ever held. I don't have scales but I'm gonna guess it's a 10 plus pounder. Sounds killer. The guy I bought it from said he bought it brand new and never learned to play...he strums chords on his acoustic now and again but only pulled out the LP once in awhile. He never had it set up in the 10 ears it sat under his bed and the fret board is very light brown....should I oil it or just leave it? I put the cream pick guard and original TRC back on it. Will post pics later today. Thanks for the input from those who responded.

do a general setup..

so pull the strings.

Clean the board your favorite way (who wants anyone else's old grease).. my choice is a quality fret board oil and 0000 super fine steel wool.

put your Favorite strings on.

check neck relief and intonation.

play.

BTW.. if it was me.. I'd just pull the pick guard, make sure the TRC was black

Ended up buying it!!! Man, has to be one of the heaviest LP's I've ever held. I don't have scales but I'm gonna guess it's a 10 plus pounder. Sounds killer. The guy I bought it from said he bought it brand new and never learned to play...he strums chords on his acoustic now and again but only pulled out the LP once in awhile. He never had it set up in the 10 ears it sat under his bed and the fret board is very light brown....should I oil it or just leave it? I put the cream pick guard and original TRC back on it. Will post pics later today. Thanks for the input from those who responded.

YOU could also just call 1 800 4GIBSON just to confirm what equipment was originally in the Guitar.The phone reps will tell you what SHOULD be in the Guitar as a STOCK feature. That phone# is the only thing needed...as well as the serial# of the Guitar inquired about.......the people that answer the phone @ GIBSON are nice enough and very informed as far as knowing what equipment was shipped STOCK on a specific serial# Guitar from the GIBSON Factories.They keep accurate records back to the 1950's & 60's and beyond.....and the info is available to them in seconds...

Steel Wool the Finger-Board (#0000), put some Lin-Seed Oil on it for 5 minutes, wipe off the excess, re-string, set the relief, set the string height @ 12th Fret, intonate.....PLAY !

a 10 lbs Guitar is enough to cut off the blood circulation in most people's arm playin that Beast standing up, if your spending your $$$$, you need to be able to play it, is why I mention this.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT BAD-BOY !

Archived