Gibson Brands Forums

NGD and String Question

Joe M

Just brought home a brand new 2018 SG Jr. What a rock machine, perfect in it's simplicity. According to the website, it comes with 9's on it, which are a little floppy for me. I know strings are cheap, but I thought I'd ask first if there would be any problem putting a set of 10's, my preferred string, on the guitar?

Thanks for any response.

some folks here will recommend a truss rod adjustment, but i haven't found it necc on any of the gibson guitars i've owned. you may get a little sticking at the nut on the wound strings. only trying it out will tell you. i use a 9/46 set, which is 10's on the wound strings, 9's on the unwound strings. it works best for me because my chording sounds rich but the bendy strings still easily bend. maybe try a set of those and see if you like them. otherwise your guitar should accept 10s just fine

Congrats on the new guitar. I really like the look of that model.

Going from .009s to .010s shouldn't cause any problems other than possible binding at the nut on the wound strings. FWIW I've gone to .011s on all my Gibsons and not had any binding issues at all. You might well need to tweak the tailpiece/bridge slightly for correct intonation although with a non-compensated 'McCarty' bridge (which is what I beleve the '18 Junior has) intonation is always going to be a bit of a compromise.

Pip.

congrats. SG's offer a nice ride! great fret access, feather light and still can punch a large hole in anything in it's way.

Go with 10s, there will no repercussions that can't be settled with some minor setup tweaks

Put a set of Ernie Ball Slinkys on the guitar yesterday and can really notice the change, both in playability and sound. The guitar, to me, plays better with the bigger strings, and there's no doubt it sounds bigger and fuller with the 10's.

Thanks again for the input.....

Edit to add: mihcmac, where did you get that pic of the Jr.???

Put a set of Ernie Ball Slinkys on the guitar yesterday and can really notice the change, both in playability and sound. The guitar, to me, plays better with the bigger strings, and there's no doubt it sounds bigger and fuller with the 10's.

Thanks again for the input.....

Edit to add: mihcmac, where did you get that pic of the Jr.???

From the Gibson SG Jr website....

SGJRH18VENH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

DUH.....that's the same site I posted earlier in the thread.....

Yep... there is a way to capture the URL of the image by having your mouse over the image then doing a right click and selecting properties, then copy the URL of the image and paste it into your post using the Insert Image picture.png in the post editor.

The URL text string will look like ...... http ************ .jpg

this will work on just about any .jpg image on the web..

The otherimage I posted of the 62 Les Paul Jr was from an add on craigslist..

• 3 weeks later...

Going from 9s (I think most new Gibsons come with a 9-46 hybrid set these days, btw) to 10s, in my experience, will not cause any problems. I've never had to adjust a truss rod for that, even though there's a little more tension, and it shouldn't cause issues with bindning in the nut - I went from 46-9 to 52-11 on my V with no problems (but any thicker than that probably won't fit).

Archived