Gibson Brands Forums

Added instruments

Lars68

What a huge difference. The combination of the picking style metering things and the layered vocals really worked. The signature riff with the atonal note first heard at 08 sec didn't really work on such a pretty song, for me, but I also like creating some tension like that sometimes. And don't be shy with that percussion! PatriotsBiker gave you "some recording tips"? Are you sure you didn't send it off to him for some polish? [smile] . Congrats Lars, looking forward to hearing as you get more comfortable with the recording skills.

Thanks for listening! Roy helped me with some tips on how to avoid sharp esses, among other things. He knows his recording stuff! Send the files to him...good idea... 😁

62burst, so you think there should be more percussion in the mix? It’s just me hitting the bottom of my guitar. I wasn’t sure about the sound and the pattern, so I kept it low.

Lars

Nice, Lars!!!! I am so digging the entirety of the guitar in that. It makes the recording for me. You made an impressive jump from the first one over a month ago.

You are far to kind, but It was fun trading ideas and such.

I agree with 62Burst. I can't think of a song that uses this style of percussion right this moment, but I would study some. See how they handle the entirety of the percussive hits in the mix as far as panning, volume, EQ, Compression, Reverb, etc to set the positioning. (front to back and left to right, etc) Also listen for the timing. When and why are they being used. I think it's an element worth exploring.

62burst, so you think there should be more percussion in the mix? It’s just me hitting the bottom of my guitar. I wasn’t sure about the sound and the pattern, so I kept it low.

Lars

I’ve just noticed that when I’ve tried recording with the foot drum using a single mic for everything, it comes out as more of a distraction. . The listener ends up half-hearing it, & wonders “what’s that background noise on the recording?” That’s why I was asking the question earlier in the week about how to mic up things separately, and feed them into the recording software, where they can be individually mixed.

Archived