Gibson Brands Forums

Stain on Flying v 2017

huntrx

Hi i bought flying v in alpine white, it came with a stain on the back of the body, the store says they received like this and might be caused due the protect case.

It was the lastmodel they have and i really want this colour

The stain is even hardly to see, and it's not apreciatable on photos

It's all over the left side, the thing on the right outside the box its just a thing from camera

It's not like a yellowy stain that might cause the case, its darker, as if it is discolored, like if you left a adhesive tape for a period and then take it off

I have tried to clean it just with a wet cloth

overall its a good guitar but i'm afraid the paint go worse

Is this a typical thing on white models and the range of quality?

post-94230-063802800 1533863587_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

IDK if that is a flaw or an optical illusion or there is nothing there flaw wise....IDK.....

BUT, if you have a problem with it, send it back, YES? $1700 is a lot of money to pay for a FLYING 'V' and I think you deserve one you are happy with, NO DOUBT.

We all know, Guitar building is a painstaking craft to get right and some of the things that make it out of the factory, and maybe shouldn't (such as loose hardware, its no big deal and to tighten it is easily done), are not such big deals! AND then again, SOME ARE... PAINT falls under the BIG DEAL category, IMO, as IDK anyone that can correct a Factory foul-up when it comes to paint. Overall I think way too much stuff gets out of the GIBSON USA factory that maybe should not and that GIBSON USA just hope's it doesn't come back....and that is one reason why I say "SEND IT BACK !", u know?

With GIBSON USA, I personally think that 2017 was a good year for GIBSON USA models, 2018 almost as good too.........and I STILL had to send 2 of the 4 Guitars back for warranty work.I do not mind it so much as long as the warranty is honored and the work needing to be done is done AND DONE RIGHT....That is what sets Manufacturer's apart and I have found that , for the most part, GIBSON stands up for its product.

My alpine white Les Paul has the same smokey stain and also a pinkish tint on some edges. It just showed up in a white interior Gibson case. Tried to sand and polish it but it looks like it migrated through out the thickness of the nitro. I just gave up and take is as a consequence of white nitro. You might be lucky and sand the stain before it migrates through out the layers of nitro... but then what needs to be done to prevent it from happening again.

I noticed after a few years the staining did not increase...may be the nitro hardened? I know it was heart breaking to see it happen to a new Gibson.

I appreciate all your valuable answers, I was feeling great with it, i wasn't thinking about the stain lately, however, i made a second change of strings last week, i removed the plastic from the pickguard i was very careful, i removed the waste of rusted strings and that kind of things, just with a cloth, for the pickups i had a brush nearby, one that I use for my keyboard, just a small plastic brush, really soft, i used for the small places where i can't get in, like the bridge, when I came to this little part between the end of the neck and the pick up plate i gently swept and then i look closer to see if there was no more dirt

And i looked this, i didn't pay attention before i swept, just after, the right extreme isn't on the best finish neither

That really discouraged me.

I know it will be better to try to send back the guitar, but i don't think it would be that easier, since guitar shops made a lot of exceptions for warranty, wouldn't be easy to find the same model i guess, i had a lot of good wishes with this guitar and i don't wanna turn it into a bad dream like emotional wasting process. Besides that i love the guitar, feels great, sounds great, no buzz or any other issue, i post this to know if someone have found this thing on the neck, remind is a granadilla rosewood, i also attached the papers, thanks

post-94230-003949300 1535368974_thumb.jpg

post-94230-073157500 1535369169_thumb.jpg

In the second pic it appears to be debris that came off the brush you were using. I think I could even see a fiber or pube from the brush itself. IMHO, I think you are splitting hairs. msp_biggrin.gif Clean and polish the guitar and then jam on some Metallica.

It's a V so its gotta be Scorpions. Love Drive Wheels On Fire.

Albert King, Lonnie Mack or J Geils!!!

I don't think you'd get a better one at all if you sent it back.

White guitar is like a white car, hard to keep it 100% clean.....

All great players. I remember buying Love Drive at Tower Records when it was released, when there was red plastic over the album cause of the naughty cover.

I remember the same thing. That was part of the reason I bought it.

It was pretty easy to see through that plastic red wrap.

They changed the cover soon after that.

Archived