Gibson Brands Forums

Capo contribution to tone?

Buc McMaster

I've been using my Kat Eyz yoke-style capo for several weeks now, but earlier this week I dug the G7th Heritage out of the stuff box and just for the heck of it did some swapping around. The Elliot and the Kat are sonically the same as best my ears can tell........negligible difference in tone when using either one. However, when I wrap the G7th Heritage around the neck.......whoa. My ears hear a dramatic increase in the richness of the tone......a much fatter, rounder sound than I get with either of the other two. Upon first hearing this I figured I was nuts and imagining the difference, but I've been moving from one to the other for three days now and there is a definite improvement in tone using the G7th. Standing before a hardwood door (very close.....maybe 8-10" away) reflects the out-front sound of the guitar very well and it is so obvious........I am a bit surprised that a capo can make such a difference. The G7th is a bit of a pain relative to the Elliot or the Kat in that it requires serious tightening to get the strings down and eliminate fret rattle, but this firmness doesn't pull the tune out.

Have any of you experimented with capos in this way? Do you hear any difference? Can anyone explain why capos of similar design would produce dramatically different tone from the same guitar? I must admit to being tonk now: use the Elliot or Kat for ease of adjustment/movement or the G7th for the excellent tone it delivers. [confused] Sheesh.

Hey Buc. I have a few capos.

A standard Shubb, a Shubb F1 (which I should sell), a few paiges, a G7 Heritage, and a few D'Addario NS capos.

I find a definitive difference in tone. The Heritage is best.

I still use the NS's at gigs, just for convenience though. They get "clamped" onto the mic stand.

Anyways I like those two brands the best. I used to have a Kat also... sold it though. Also had an Elliott which I sold.

I’ve tried a ton...I’m a big fan of the G7th and G7th Performance II, they just work and several have been in my cases forever.

My all time fave is the Dunlop Victor, it’s cast brass and just seems to make everything sound better, much in the same way you describe for the G7th Heritage. So much fun playing with this stuff!!

I contacted G7th and asked about the relatively severe tightening the Heritage required and Simon said it could be that the A.R.T. is fit too snugly in the cross bar. He is sending me a new A.R.T. thingie to replace the existing one........for free. What a guy! I really do like the tone when using the G7th but I don't have the performance confidence in it that I do the Elliot or the Kat. Here's hoping the new A.R.T. device changes that!

Interesting Observation, I did not expect a big influence of a capo as long as the mechanics work perfectly and the strings are pressed against the frets with the right force. After starting with an pencil and a rubber band in my youth (very exotic sounds sometimes) I have used a "Heriba" capo made of plastic and finally came to the Shubb capo with and without the small reel. Both Version work for me. I have tried a capo with a "one hand function" (type "Kyser") but had big problems with the hard tension of the spring and de-tuning of strings.

Could there be any influences caused by the material and/or weight of the capo which changes the resonating System of the guitar neck?

Archived