Gibson Brands Forums

Knobs

Alco Flower

Hello all, I have two quick question on knobs, I have two guitars a Gibson 1994 SG special and a 2016 Epiphone G-310. Anyway I'd like to change the knobs on the epiphone to witch-top style knobs. Should the old ones just pull off or is something else required? Second question, on the Gibson some of the top hat knobs are very loose, like if you flip the guitar upside down and shake it some of them would just fall to the ground. Are new knobs needed? Just thought of a third question, pick-up covers. The gibson has no covers can I just buy the set off Gibson's website or do I need to find them elsewhere.

Thanks,

AF

Hello all, I have two quick question on knobs, I have two guitars a Gibson 1994 SG special and a 2016 Epiphone G-310. Anyway I'd like to change the knobs on the epiphone to witch-top style knobs. Should the old ones just pull off or is something else required?

they should just pull off. just an interference fit

Second question, on the Gibson some of the top hat knobs are very loose, like if you flip the guitar upside down and shake it some of them would just fall to the ground. Are new knobs needed?

maybe...

not neccesasarily. you might get by ok by wrapping a tiny piece of paper around the shaft and shoving the knob back on. some guitars have a split shaft. those you can spread apart slightly with a flathead screwdriver.

Just thought of a third question, pick-up covers. The gibson has no covers can I just buy the set off Gibson's website or do I need to find them elsewhere.

Thanks,

AF

https://store.gibson.com/covers/ you can get them from gibby if you like. i'm not sure if they need to be potted first, but i'm pretty sure they need to be soldered on.

alot of others here are very knowledgeable about these things, and they'll chime in at some point with the correct answer to that.

they should just pull off. just an interference fit

maybe...

not neccesasarily. you might get by ok by wrapping a tiny piece of paper around the shaft and shoving the knob back on. some guitars have a split shaft. those you can spread apart slightly with a flathead screwdriver.

https://store.gibson.com/covers/ you can get them from gibby if you like. i'm not sure if they need to be potted first, but i'm pretty sure they need to be soldered on.

alot of others here are very knowledgeable about these things, and they'll chime in at some point with the correct answer to that.

Okay thanks for your information, I'll start work on this stuff in the next day or so and try to let the forms know how it goes.

Thanks, keep rocking,

AF

The split shaft is aluminum. You try and spread it with a screw driver, you'll probably snap half off.

Double check the splines and inside of the knob first.

But if you want to:

go to the dollar store, buy a glue gun, put a small drop of hot glue in the knob and press on

That glue is "rubbery" so easy to get knob off but forms to shaft splines

The split shaft is aluminum. You try and spread it with a screw driver, you'll probably snap half off.

Double check the splines and inside of the knob first.

But if you want to:

go to the dollar store, buy a glue gun, put a small drop of hot glue in the knob and press on

That glue is "rubbery" so easy to get knob off but forms to shaft splines

Good point, okay I look into this stuff.

Thanks,

AF

Archived