Gibson Brands Forums

RD Artist/77/???

Rodent

Hello all,

I have just signed on to this forum, mainly as I have an RD Artist, I think 77? and I'm trying to bed down exactly which model it is.

the reason for my confusion is some of the 'trusted' books I read give varying description's. Let me give the details.

Burst, gold hardware,25.5" scale, TP-6 tailpiece, Moog electronics, Ebony with block inlays, Peghead with pearl f style logo, etc.

now the 'Blue book' only talks about the RD Custom/custom 77, having Moog. and the Artist as just having active electronics.

Vintage guitar price guide has the RD Artist77 as being released in 1980. my serial # is 70939029. making it a '79' the guitar did come with '77' tags, and I think because the scale is 25.5" that it is an Artist 77.

Am I just to except the fact that these books cannot, thro scale of research they have to do, that they are not going to get all correct?

Hope someone out there will have an idea.

look forward to using this forum from here on, as I have a few vintage Gibson's I have been trying to get details on, and not been able to get answers else where.

Regards from Australia

post-94272-022827400 1534043840_thumb.jpg

post-94272-034004900 1534044533_thumb.jpg

Hello

You have probably already looked, but the Wiki entry may be of some help - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_RD

It implies that because of the longer scale, your guitar must be pre-1979.

Also according to "American Guitars" (Tom Wheeler) p.193, "the 1978 model had one less switch and an unbound fingerboard".

I see you have already posted and got a reply from Grog, one of the experts!!

Best wishes.

Thanks jdgm,

yes, Grog has been helpful. looking forward to more of his input on anything else I need help on.

Funny, I hadn't looked at Wiki, but it is all helping me settle on the Artist77, which maybe I should have trusted the case candy in the first place, which has the '77' tag.

Possibly an early 1979 as my longer scale, and serial number indicates. all the rest is there.

they are wonderful sounding guitars!

All the best

Archived