Gibson Brands Forums

RD artist

Rodent

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Hello all,

I have just signed on to this forum, mainly as I have an RD Artist, I think 77? and I'm trying to bed down exactly which model it is.

the reason for my confusion is some of the 'trusted' books I read give varying description's. Let me give the details.

Burst, gold hardware,25.5" scale, TP-6 tailpiece, Moog electronics, Ebony with block inlays, Peghead with pearl f style logo, etc.

now the 'Blue book' only talks about the RD Custom/custom 77, having Moog. and the Artist as just having active electronics.

Vintage guitar price guide has the RD Artist77 as being released in 1980. my serial # is 70939029. making it a '79' the guitar did come with '77' tags, and I think because the scale is 25.5" that it is an Artist 77.

Am I just to except the fact that these books cannot, thro scale of research they have to do, that they are not going to get all correct?

Hope someone out there will have an idea.

look forward to using this forum from here on, as I have a few vintage Gibson's I have been trying to get details on, and not been able to get answers else where.

Regards from Australia

Attached thumbnail(s)

Archived